• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ really does suck badly

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably 10 years ago, I used to get GQ and was impressed by some of the looks recommended and displayed in its pages.

I recently got a 3 year free subscription, and I'm literally embarrassed for them that they print some of this crap.

For instance, in their latest issue, they recommend a puffy vest over a conservative suit.

Not to mention every single model has high water pants and half aren't wearing socks.

Out of every issue, I find maybe one or two outfits which I would consider wearing.

Its really pretty pathetic.

wumingde

Reaction score

Probably 10 years ago, I used to get GQ and was impressed by some of the looks recommended and displayed in its pages.
I recently got a 3 year free subscription, and I'm literally embarrassed for them that they print some of this crap.
For instance, in their latest issue, they recommend a puffy vest over a conservative suit.
Not to mention every single model has high water pants and half aren't wearing socks.
Out of every issue, I find maybe one or two outfits which I would consider wearing.
Its really pretty pathetic.

A puffer vest over a suit? This is madness! :fence:
But honestly, GQ has been pretty bad for a long time. It seems like they can't come up with anything interesting to write about. In about two years, the style of wearing high water pants and no socks are going to be outdated. But GQ is still performing a little better than some of the other guys like Esquire.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a look, it's all about wearing ucky shiny garish suits, brand whore Gucci loafers and NO socks. :fu:

Mind you this was Conde-Nasty gq.com.cn :spew:

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. GQ has turned into little more than a typical men's magazine along the lines of FHM or something equally boring. By the by, I have discovered a really good British style magazine that goes by the name of The Rake. It's everything that GQ is not. A serious magazine devoted to some really interesting topics like shoe construction, the latest offerings from bespoke tie makers, interviews with designers, etc. There is nothing comparable that I have found in the U.S. market.

ETA: Check it out if you wish...

http://www.therakeonline.com/

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
GQ took a drastic nose dive for the worst after Art Cooper stepped down. It was rumored he left because conde nast wanted to appeal to a younger demographic and compete with the maxim crowd. Im sure he's spinning in his grave right now.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1. What's worse is when someone intends to pay you a compliment by saying, "you look very GQ". I consider it an insult.
Agree.
Their obvious brand whoring based on advertising revenue is also annoying.
I mean does anyone believe their must have features are legit? Nothing more than companies paying for their products to be featured.
I understand GQ needs to make money; but at least have some substance behind your recommendations.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have a couple years left on my subscriptions to GQ & Esquire and I've been dissatisfied too. I've been a subscriber for 15 years and have been considering canceling my subscription. What other options are out there for men in their mid to late 30's?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If a source isn't giving you what you want then I wouldn't call it an option at all, really. Do you want a magazine devoted to style, or a magazine with a swimsuit model on the cover? You cannot have satisfactory levels of both in the same magazine.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Echoing the sentiment of the OP and replies on this thread. This high waters and no socks, especially on business/office outfits, never looked good from the start and has been done to death.
I've seen that look, and puffy vests, get loads of praise on here by the way. Hideous!

Another gripe is that I generally like The Style Guy. He got a few more column inches this month but previously has been reduced to four or five responses per issue, and several of them either re-treads from previous questions or else idiotic 'noob' questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics