Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GQ really does suck badly

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Probably 10 years ago, I used to get GQ and was impressed by some of the looks recommended and displayed in its pages.

I recently got a 3 year free subscription, and I'm literally embarrassed for them that they print some of this crap.

For instance, in their latest issue, they recommend a puffy vest over a conservative suit.

Not to mention every single model has high water pants and half aren't wearing socks.

Out of every issue, I find maybe one or two outfits which I would consider wearing.

Its really pretty pathetic.

2. wumingde

wumingde Well-Known Member

A puffer vest over a suit? This is madness! :fence:
    But honestly, GQ has been pretty bad for a long time. It seems like they can't come up with anything interesting to write about. In about two years, the style of wearing high water pants and no socks are going to be outdated. But GQ is still performing a little better than some of the other guys like Esquire.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I just had a look, it's all about wearing ucky shiny garish suits, brand whore Gucci loafers and NO socks. :fu:

Mind you this was Conde-Nasty gq.com.cn :spew:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I couldn't agree more. GQ has turned into little more than a typical men's magazine along the lines of FHM or something equally boring. By the by, I have discovered a really good British style magazine that goes by the name of The Rake. It's everything that GQ is not. A serious magazine devoted to some really interesting topics like shoe construction, the latest offerings from bespoke tie makers, interviews with designers, etc. There is nothing comparable that I have found in the U.S. market.

ETA: Check it out if you wish...

http://www.therakeonline.com/

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

GQ took a drastic nose dive for the worst after Art Cooper stepped down. It was rumored he left because conde nast wanted to appeal to a younger demographic and compete with the maxim crowd. Im sure he's spinning in his grave right now.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Isn't the rake from hong kong

7. timotune

timotune Senior member

8. Caustic Man

Excellent. Indeed it is. I had assumed it was British because that's where I first started reading it, but you are indeed correct.

9. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

GQ jumped the shark long ago. The worst.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. What's worse is when someone intends to pay you a compliment by saying, "you look very GQ". I consider it an insult.

11. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Agree.
    Their obvious brand whoring based on advertising revenue is also annoying.
    I mean does anyone believe their must have features are legit? Nothing more than companies paying for their products to be featured.
    I understand GQ needs to make money; but at least have some substance behind your recommendations.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I still have a couple years left on my subscriptions to GQ & Esquire and I've been dissatisfied too. I've been a subscriber for 15 years and have been considering canceling my subscription. What other options are out there for men in their mid to late 30's?

14. Caustic Man

If a source isn't giving you what you want then I wouldn't call it an option at all, really. Do you want a magazine devoted to style, or a magazine with a swimsuit model on the cover? You cannot have satisfactory levels of both in the same magazine.

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Echoing the sentiment of the OP and replies on this thread. This high waters and no socks, especially on business/office outfits, never looked good from the start and has been done to death.
    I've seen that look, and puffy vests, get loads of praise on here by the way. Hideous!

Another gripe is that I generally like The Style Guy. He got a few more column inches this month but previously has been reduced to four or five responses per issue, and several of them either re-treads from previous questions or else idiotic 'noob' questions.