• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good lord!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
someone beat ya to it Link

JohnMS

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Hey, here's a good excuse to start increasing one's shoe collection. Good heavens. I don't think my wife would appreciate my buying that.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll buy it just to store my Rockports. That way my wife won't complain about dshoes all over the BR.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Hey, here's a good excuse to start increasing one's shoe collection.  Good heavens.  I don't think my wife would appreciate my buying that.
Just make sure that the dimensions are big enough for you to sleep in when she bounces you the heck out of the house...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is why one has to marry a woman who also has a fetish for shoes. Namely Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo's et al of that price caliber. $2,000+ alligator stilettos. Quite.

I've seen that item feautured in a shoe magazine once.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen that in a magazine as well . . . if memory serves correct, the price being asked on Ebay isn't much of a discount, especially off of a used piece.

I confess that it got me drooling as well, but stepping back and considering this rationally (at least as rational as any one of us can get), for less than the cost of this trunk, you could probably have an artisan cabinetmaker create a custom piece that would surpass the Lobb item in quality and originality. You wouldn't get all the neat shoe care items, but you could probably buy all of that for less than the difference.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I confess that it got me drooling as well, but stepping back and considering this rationally (at least as rational as any one of us can get), for less than the cost of this trunk, you could probably have an artisan cabinetmaker create a custom piece that would surpass the Lobb item in quality and originality. Â You wouldn't get all the neat shoe care items, but you could probably buy all of that for less than the difference.
Though I realize that a Hermes for Lobb trunk does carry rather a cachet, I must agree with TCN. An artisan woodcrafter would certainly enjoy such a project, and not only would the quality be better, the materials would be exceedingly so. The thing is made of beech for heaven's sake. What were they thinking -- the wood for that trunk must have cost a little over $30.00. A strong and sound wood, 'tis true, but a uniformly bland one. As a musician, you can appreciate the importance of good wood. Now Morado, Bubinga, Cherry, Walnut, or a Birdseye Maple perhaps, and the piece could be stunning. Inlaid with you initials, hmmm... Regards, Huntsman

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of our family's companies used to be a millwork manufactory, and off the top of my head: taking into account the material cost for a stronger hardwood (and more exotic) such as mahogany (offset with decorative pieces of Pommele Burl Sapele, Figured Crotch Mahogany, and Rosewood), the time it takes a small cabinet-maker to manufacture the chest, finishing the interior and exterior of the chest, and assembly of all the non-wood items, a similar sized chest should run about $700ish (of, course depending on the cabinet-maker, you could end up paying $1500 or $500). Of, course, you could always have you local high school shop class make this for you as a project, providing that you supply the materials, and maybe if they do a good job, you could get them pizza for lunch.
biggrin.gif
Jon. Plus, the craftsmanship on that chest is nowhere close to the 20k (or 12.5k for that matter) price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads