• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Hair Doesn't Come From a Jar.

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
Sorry, I keep posting about this on the official hair thread, and it keeps getting lost in the pages of people asking the exact same questions over and over, so now it gets it's own thread. I promise I'm not trying to sell you anything, just change the way you think. I've been a hairdresser for 10 years, and have strictly worked on men's hairstyles for most of those years, and today I have become one of the most followed hairstylists on instagram (I know, instafame is worthless, but it hopefully gives me enough credibility here for you to hear me out so I can help you) most probably through the tips I've been sharing there and through videos, both on my website and youtube... The bottom line is that the change you guys are seeking through the comments on the official hair thread will never ever come from a product.

Let's talk about what hair product does, if you don't mind. Say your hair is standing up where you want it to lay down, and at the same time it is laying flat where you want it to stand up. by the time a product is heavy enough and strong enough to hold up the limp hair and hold down the rigid hair, it is also heavy enough to look like you have a heavy product in your hair. But the Justin timberlake (or who the hell ever) hairstyle is soft and natural looking, it does what he wants and it doesn't look heavy, shiny, or sticky. In fact it looks downright moveable, and natural. He just must have good hair, naturally...

You have good hair, too, you just don't have a good relationship with it yet. This is what has happened to us poor men: once society said we were allowed to openly strive for good hair, a million product companies came out and tried to capitalize on our newfound freedom. They sold products with promises, and we bought them up. So we believe that for the right dollar amount, if we dig and look hard enough, ask enough people on Styleforum to confirm on the brand, we can find something in that jar to give us hair like we've never had before, but every time we fight our hair's STUPID ANNOYING natural tendencies, the hair either wins, or the product looks heavy, greasy, shiny, crunchy, or wet. And so we keep looking. The people who enjoyed this product while I didn't, they must have good hair, naturally...

This is what I propose to you: Don't fight what your hair wants to do, using products, change what it wants to do, using a blow dryer and/or flat iron, and then use your product to work WITH what your hair is now wanting to do, instead of using it to fight against what your hair wants to do. Limp hair can be given volume, coarse hair can be made to lay down, curly hair can be pulled straight, and then after any and all of these things have been done, a product of any kind can be used to give you whatever finish you want, from light and natural, to heavy and shiny. But the difference is that hair which has been blow dried up will want to continue to stand up all day long, while hair that has only been glued up with product will be fighting to fall back down the whole day. Hair that has been bow dried back will want to return to that direction after your hair has been tussled by the wind, but hair that was only glued back with a heavy pomade will spend the whole day dreaming about when it can lay forward again. By using the proper tools and methods to change what your hair wants to do, you can have good hair.

Here, watch this to see me doing all this stuff...

0.jpg

gamblor

Reaction score
All the cuts on your site have the sides very tight. What would you do to keep long sides in place on a straightback look?

fathergll

Reaction score

This is what I propose to you: Don't fight what your hair wants to do, using products, change what it wants to do, using a blow dryer and/or flat iron, and then use your product to work WITH what your hair is now wanting to do, instead of using it to fight against what your hair wants to do. Limp hair can be given volume, coarse hair can be made to lay down, curly hair can be pulled straight, and then after any and all of these things have been done, a product of any kind can be used to give you whatever finish you want, from light and natural, to heavy and shiny. But the difference is that hair which has been blow dried up will want to continue to stand up all day long, while hair that has only been glued up with product will be fighting to fall back down the whole day. Hair that has been bow dried back will want to return to that direction after your hair has been tussled by the wind, but hair that was only glued back with a heavy pomade will spend the whole day dreaming about when it can lay forward again. By using the proper tools and methods to change what your hair wants to do, you can have good hair.

I found your original post a while ago on this and it was the most useful information on hair that i've read in my life. After reading your thread I immediately bought a Super Solano, some Beach Clay, Imperial Pomade and I was set.

So one of my questions is on the use of a blow dryer every day. Is it bad for your hair? The thing i've notice is there seems to be a bit of toll on my hair with blow drying every day from my observation(drying out). I'm not using my Super Solano for a prolong period either, I can blow dry my hair in 15 seconds the way I want....My hair style is similar to this when blow drying

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
All the cuts on your site have the sides very tight. What would you do to keep long sides in place on a straightback look?

Blow dry the sides back. I have a good feeling that these kinds of longer sides will be in this year, since last year everyone wanted such tight fades. This is very refreshing now. But if you read ANY of the material, or watch any of the videos I've put out, the theme is the same for all hair types and all hairstyles. Blow dry it where you want it to go, and it will stay there.

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
I found your original post a while ago on this and it was the most useful information on hair that i've read in my life. After reading your thread I immediately bought a Super Solano, some Beach Clay, Imperial Pomade and I was set.

So one of my questions is on the use of a blow dryer every day. Is it bad for your hair? The thing i've notice is there seems to be a bit of toll on my hair with blow drying every day from my observation(drying out). I'm not using my Super Solano for a prolong period either, I can blow dry my hair in 15 seconds the way I want....My hair style is similar to this when blow drying

Yes, heat will damage your hair more or less, sooner or later. 95% of my clients get their hair cut often enough that the ends (which are most susceptible to showing damage) are removed before they show and signs of damage. My advice is if you keep your hair short, and get regular trims, damage it all you want with a blow dryer and flat iron (unless you're a part of that 5% with fragile hair, but even that is most often a side effect of over-processing with color or chemical straighteners), but if you decide to grow your hair out long, stop blow drying it.

gamblor

Reaction score
I took your advice and bought a good blow dryer. My sides would stay back, however, as they over 6" long they would then bend and fall out of place in the back. Only a ton of product or clips would hold it in place. So I cut the sides far shorter, to a length I could never comb them back at... With the blowdryer, they now go back and stay in place.

Also made my own product, as I cannot stand the added fragrance ALL commercial products have. It is just beeswax, silicon, and oil.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to use blow dryer and flat iron on my hair. It took too much time and created a circle of death. If you use heat on your hair it will never look good unless you keep using heat on it. It will be a rats nest without it. I got older and lost the time and patience for using heat based methods and just adopted a more natural hair routine and learned to live with what I have. Now since the damaged hair has grown out and i take better care of my hair I don't have nearly as many woes and I saved tons of time and money.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just think what is op is suggesting is very impractical in the daily lives of busy people. Also, it's downright not good for your hair.

fathergll

Reaction score

I just think what is op is suggesting is very impractical in the daily lives of busy people. Also, it's downright not good for your hair.

From a time stand point I haven't found blow drying it to be much of a burden. I have a high end hair dryer like the op suggested and I can my hair done in well under 30 seconds(it's pretty short). The thing I do agree on to an extent about blow drying after a while can start to hurt it unless you get it cut often. It was interesting that andrew mention not to blow dry it if you are growing it out.

What is your natural hair routine btw?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the morning? Nothing, I just push it back with my hand and walk out the door.

The key is to wash with a non-sulphate shampoo, and use an acidic rinse of some sort. Do this every other day.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The key is to wash with a non-sulphate shampoo, and use an acidic rinse of some sort. Do this every other day.

Could you point me at some examples? I've had some surprising successes with doing less washing with just conditioning and/or rinsing and am thinking there is something to this...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are some drug store brand ones out there, not sure of the brands, but you gotta really just look at the ingredients. Also, know which long ass named chemicals are just silicone derivatives. Stay away from those in both shampoos and conditioners. I'm a Bronner's man, myself, first their shikakai soap, then their citrus rinse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads