• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Italy in May! Could I Save Money Placing Orders Now for Bespoke Clothes Since I Could Pick

sdsurfer

Reaction score
I'm going to Italy this May and definitely want to shop for clothes/shoes/belts while I'm there. One thought I had is would it be cheaper to send measurements over now, order some clothes, and then pick up in person. I'll definitely be in Rome, Venice, and Florence but could travel outside of here. I would love some really nice dress attire and shoes that could work in a casual setting or something fancy. I am a Kiton fan but have no idea if it would be any cheaper over there than here.

ThomGault

Reaction score

I'm going to Italy this May and definitely want to shop for clothes/shoes/belts while I'm there. One thought I had is would it be cheaper to send measurements over now, order some clothes, and then pick up in person.

That's not bespoke, that's made-to-measure. Good bespoke involves creating garments from scratch and multiple fittings at various stages of construction. You could probably do what you suggested, but it will never be the same as bespoke. Additionally, it will only be as good as the person taking the measurements, i.e. you'll need a good tailor who has experience and understanding of the process, in which case you may as well just have them craft the garments for you.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should indeed be doing some advance work, but not measurements. Instead, research tailors and shoemakers in Florence and Rome (forget Venice), look at their styles, learn what you like. Then when you arrive you will be able to zero in on your favorites and, depending on how much time you have, get some really nice things made. I buy most of my clothes in Italy. It is not a place for bargains. Also not everything expensive there is well made. There's a lot of brand chasing. Are you non-EU? If so you will at least get a hefty VAT refund. Lots to know before you go but you have time. Good luck!

sdsurfer

Reaction score

You should indeed be doing some advance work, but not measurements. Instead, research tailors and shoemakers in Florence and Rome (forget Venice), look at their styles, learn what you like. Then when you arrive you will be able to zero in on your favorites and, depending on how much time you have, get some really nice things made. I buy most of my clothes in Italy. It is not a place for bargains. Also not everything expensive there is well made. There's a lot of brand chasing. Are you non-EU? If so you will at least get a hefty VAT refund. Lots to know before you go but you have time. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I am in the USA so could I get the VAT refund? I don't care so much about the brand. Really what's most important is quality and if I can get that at a lower price or bargain I'm all for it (in fact please mention suggestions as I have zero clues where to start).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the USA is not in the EU and unlikely to be under Trump, so you get the VAT refund. There are so many Italian brands and bespoke makers, too big a subject to address in a single post. Scroll around SF and you will find a lot, then you can perhaps refine your questions and be more specific.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads