• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses frame type for large head

bsinge50

Reaction score
Hi, I have a really big head (my hat size is 7 5/8), and I wear glasses. I also have a beard. Do you have any recommendations for frame styles, shapes that might work best to minimize my gigantic head? It's shaped like a top heavy oval. I appreciate any help. Right now, I wear thin sort of frames that are wide horizontally and sort of short vertically, but I can't tell if that accentuates its bigness. I've tried them on, and I'm sort of oblivious to what looks good on me.

I know this is difficult to generalize.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
9-esq-matthew-fan-nyc-0909-lg-697391381.jpg

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoo was the first thing I thought of.

I think you need a larger frame. Something thick and chunky. Colour should complement your hair colour (if you're blond, I would go with tortoiseshell). I have a buddy who has a big head and big body and long hair, and he has prescription Wayfarers. They seem to work for him.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford's line is very large and chunky. Almost any major city will carry his line. If you like that look on yourself then you can find other larger frames but most companies have just a few. But thy are out there.

I bought some glasses recently and the SA had a large head and a trim build. The two times I saw him he wore large, fairly bold frames and they looked great. But they do make a statement, so choose wisely.

Good luck.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Despite the naysayers, I would never wear anything but a more prominent frame. Mind you, my glasses really aren't chunky; they're just not the featherweight titanium barely-there glasses so many people wear these days.

I'd go for something rectangular, with some angles. If you have an oval-shaped face, you don't want to make it look even rounder.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a bigger head or wider face necessarily calls for Mr. Magoo glasses. That's just a personal choice. Instead, you can get frames with average width lenses where the part that connects the frame to the temples just extends further out (horizontally) to better fit wider faces. Dave Letterman appears to have a rather big head, yet he doesn't wear huge ass glasses. Rimless frames are another option you can consider.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I don't think a bigger head or wider face necessarily calls for Mr. Magoo glasses. That's just a personal choice. Instead, you can get frames with average width lenses where the part that connects the frame to the temples just extends further out (horizontally) to better fit wider faces. Dave Letterman appears to have a rather big head, yet he doesn't wear huge ass glasses. Rimless frames are another option you can consider.

Dave's frames are about as thick as mine. Also, no matter how big his head actually is, it's not particularly large relative to his body and it appears long and narrow rather than round and squat.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Also, no matter how big his head actually is, it's not particularly large relative to his body and it appears long and narrow rather than round and squat.

I'm going to try to help:

qnqkab.jpg

and

2zrjdzs.jpg

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Dave's frames are about as thick as mine. Also, no matter how big his head actually is, it's not particularly large relative to his body and it appears long and narrow rather than round and squat.

Foo, we're talking about two different things here. While Letterman's (plastic/acetate) frames might be as thick as yours, they're def. not as big as yours when you look at the size (height and width) of the lenses. Fwiw, he seems to switch between some acetate tortoiseshell frames and a rimless pair.

fat al

Reaction score
I am not a glasses wearer, and they have been mentioned on SF previously, but if you struggle to find glasses that suit your head size or features, try http://www.tdtomdavies.com/. Expensive, but the friends who have used him/them swear by it - one described the difference the glasses made as creating the same balancing effect on his features as a cosmetic surgeon would try to achieve (not that this is necessarily something you need).

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear contact lens until I can get laser eye surgery.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the sunglasses version. It also comes with clear Rx lens/face shield.

b523_jr_astronaut_helmet_onadult.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads