• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Game of Thrones BOOK Thread: Spoil Away.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Tyrion will be one. His childhood dreams of riding dragons combined with one black eye and one green eye, white-blonde hair rather than regular Lannister gold, and the birth story told by the Red Viper of him tearing his way out of his mother and being born with a tail and scales just sounds too much dragon-like. Plus, the mad king lusted for his mother, so it's possible he was born from some union between them. Yet, Genna Lannister does say that Tyrion was always Tywin's son, not Jaime, so the foreshadowing goes both ways on that piece. I just see Tyrion as a dragon rider even if he's not partially Targaryen.

The third rider is completely up in the air to me. I don't think Bran will be- the winged wolf will be based upon his warging ravens. I can't see Euron/Victarion's plan working for dragon binding.

I'm not sold on Aegon, although that teaser chapter implies another Dance of Dragons. Dany would destroy Aegon if she had dragons and he had none, so perhaps he will gain one proving his status.

Jon Snow, I just don't know even though I am fully on board with R+L=J.

Young Aegon is the mummer's dragon IMO, a pretender

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rooster connington is the only person still living who might know jons parentage.

R+L=J

Howland reed knows, Brandon Stark knows and we can assume the Maesters at the citiadel know as in the show

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My memory may be fuzzy...but per the show do the maesters actually know? Samwell and Gilly figured it out, but did he ever convince the high maesters of it?

And did he take the book when he left? Perhaps there are other copies, but given he was being asked to copy it, there's a good chance it was the only copy.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Martin said: 'Whether Winds (of Winter) or the first volume of Fire and Blood will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream.'"

He's so full of ****.

He pulls this exact same stunt year after year, book after book. I wish he'd just shut the **** up and disappear, Salinger-like. I don't even care if he writes any more, I'm just tired of him jerking us around.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That just makes me (a little) angry. He doesn't seem to be able to deliver what people have been waiting for, so now he's going to write two volumes of Targaryen backstory? Did anyone ask for that?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that Targaryen backstory. It covered a lot of ground and was decently entertaining. It wasn’t written in GRRM’s signature style, but that was on purpose. It’s supposed to be a compilation of maester records and takes more of a historian’s voice.

PS: **** that fat lazy ****.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a chapter from it that was pawned off as a short story for a collection. It's ****. Everyone acknowledges that his world building is epic, and doing that requires a lot of notes/backstory. Most writers don't ever let that sort of behind the scenes grunt work see the light of day, because it isn't intended to be anything other than a framework for the real stories. I give the fat **** credit for monetizing everything, though.

I'll go ahead and put it out right now- that second volume of notes on the Targaryens will hit the shelves before Winds of Winter, but when he's pimping it, he'll swear WoW is "almost finished. Hopefully, by the end of the year."

**** off, Lucy. And take your football with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads