• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Divorce sux

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The first person I told that my wife and I were separating after 19 years of marriage was my mentor. I wasn't quite sure how he or others would react. He looked me in the eye and said, "Keep one thing in mind, younger women like older men".

Is this recent? I only ask because you usually mention your wife. If so, my condolences, man.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
frown.gif
Thanks guys.

The good news is that this is probably the friendliest divorce on record. We've already negotiated everything and are just finishing up the paperwork. Texas has a 60 day waiting period and it'll probably be done on that day. We won't quite make 20 years, but we're damned close.

Hard to believe.

She's keeping the house, so I've rented a place in the neighborhood and will be moving over Labor Day weekend. We still have kids together and will remain very good friends. Just can't be married anymore (or so I'm told).

Given all the stress of this one, if you were to layer in the added stress of having a huge fight on top of it I don't know how people would live through it. As it is it's about the worst thing I've ever been through.

Damn! After nearly 20 years, that sux bigtime. My sympathies Mark.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agreed, do your best to keep them sane throughout

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Back to topic; good luck Mark and make sure not put the kids in the middle.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Mark. I hope things go as well as they can.

--Andre

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
frown.gif
Thanks guys.

The good news is that this is probably the friendliest divorce on record. We've already negotiated everything and are just finishing up the paperwork. Texas has a 60 day waiting period and it'll probably be done on that day. We won't quite make 20 years, but we're damned close.

Hard to believe.

She's keeping the house, so I've rented a place in the neighborhood and will be moving over Labor Day weekend. We still have kids together and will remain very good friends. Just can't be married anymore (or so I'm told).

Given all the stress of this one, if you were to layer in the added stress of having a huge fight on top of it I don't know how people would live through it. As it is it's about the worst thing I've ever been through.

Condolences, but props to you for staying in the neighborhood. My parents got divorced when I was pretty young, and the worst part was that my dad moved out of state.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mark, don;t want to pry but was it one thing or an accumulation leading you down this road?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Condolences, but props to you for staying in the neighborhood. My parents got divorced when I was pretty young, and the worst part was that my dad moved out of state.

Our kids are older (both in High School), we've made sure that they have people to talk to and have really good relationships with them, so we'll keep an eye on them and they'll be fine, I think. I wanted a house where they could run back and forth if they need to.

At the end of the day I have to give props to my wife, she is a divorce attorney which means she sees the good, the bad and the ultra-ugly. She's decided that no matter what this is going to be as conflict free as possible.

I think we'll be fine. Like I say, we're still good friends. The kids had stuff the other night and so we went and had dinner (just the two of us) and then found a bar and had a couple of glasses of wine and just talked about stuff. If there's any good news in this its that we're both on the same team about keeping the kids in focus and keeping the conflict to a minimum. She makes a good living herself, so she doesn't feel the need to grab everything she can financially and we've never disagreed about raising the kids, so there's no particular reason for that to change. Neither of us are vindictive by nature, so...

Anyway...I've probably posted more in this thread than I should have.

Thanks for the kind words.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
frown.gif

But remember, no matter how bad it is for you, it can truly spin out of control for the kids. Good for you for staying friendly with Mrs. Plano.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
mark, don;t want to pry but was it one thing or an accumulation leading you down this road?

Death by a thousand cuts.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ah, then probably for the best. good luck.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Good luck Mark, I went through a friendly divorce and I know just how difficult it can still be.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thing it wasn't a messy divorce. Good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics