• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front darts on windowpane suit?

Tropicalist

Reaction score
My tailor constructed my new windowpane jacket without front darts for the first fitting. He persuaded me that the line of windowpanes will fall better without the darts and that the fit and silluette will not be compromised. What do you think? I will be doing the second fitting soon.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done.

standard.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on what effect you want to emphasize. If you want the pattern of the cloth to be undisturbed and symmetry of the pattern, no dart is fine. If you have a larger shaped chest and need the dart for shaping then you lose a bit of shaping effect and fit. Depends on your body type. You can also place the dart along the edge of the stripe and have the dart finish to 0 at the pocket so the pattern is still matching below the pocket. This way you get shape and don't lose the pattern matching.
Sometimes I like the line of the WP pattern with a dart because you get this line )( and it emphasizes the shape at the waist. I omit the dart more with plaids because you lose some of the pattern and things look more disrupted and unbalanced.
I would choose what is best fir your build and fit first and consider how and where to cut a dart second.

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Many thanks all. I do have a rather large chest, but will go without darts from now. The tailor has done an ok job of shaping from the sides and I quite like the slightly unstructured effect the no dart thing is giving at least for now

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do have a rather large chest, but will go without darts from now. The tailor has done an ok job of shaping from the sides and I quite like the slightly unstructured effect the no dart thing is giving at least for now

Here are a window pane and a glen check with window pane, both with front darts. Both were MTM, and I could have had them without darts, but it never occurred to me. To the extent the patterns are disturbed, I am not. And the coats have quite an easy fit, no more binding that a couple of unstructured odd jackets I have.

9sXig.jpg
f6UpK.jpg

Tropicalist

Reaction score

Here are a window pane and a glen check with window pane, both with front darts. Both were MTM, and I could have had them without darts, but it never occurred to me. To the extent the patterns are disturbed, I am not. And the coats have quite an easy fit, no more binding that a couple of unstructured odd jackets I have.
9sXig.jpg
f6UpK.jpg

Yes. These are nice. Mine is red windowpane on gray background. I think the fabric pinching will be very visible as the pattern is not subtle

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads