• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Russia with Bugatti Veyron

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Just be glad you weren't sitting in the rear section of that articulated bus!!! That was a wild ride.
smile.gif

+1, holy sh*t!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd like to 1/4 mile a Bugatti Veyron against a Lingenfelter 427TT zo6 'vette just to see the look on the 'Gatti owner's face when a car that only costs about 160k blows it off the track with 8.7 -9.4 seconds in the 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 time in less than 5 seconds, 0-200 in around 10, all while on street tires, and then drives home getting 24MPG on the highway. The 'Gatti has about 13MPH top end speed on the vette, but is it REALLY worth that much more money?
smile.gif
Congrats to VW, you made a really expensive car that can't outaccelerate a tuned 'vette...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'd like to 1/4 mile a Bugatti Veyron against a Lingenfelter 427TT zo6 'vette just to see the look on the 'Gatti owner's face when a car that only costs about 160k blows it off the track with 8.7 -9.4 seconds in the 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 time in less than 5 seconds, 0-200 in around 10, all while on street tires, and then drives home getting 24MPG on the highway.

The 'Gatti has about 13MPH top end speed on the vette, but is it REALLY worth that much more money?
smile.gif

Congrats to VW, you made a really expensive car that can't outaccelerate a tuned 'vette...

VW did this as a showpiece, not a value proposition. IIRC, VW made these Veyrons at a cost of about $5 Millions each. It'd be cool if VW arranges an all Veyron racing league, a la the Ferrari Enzo arrangement.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
VW did this as a showpiece, not a value proposition. IIRC, VW made these Veyrons at a cost of about $5 Millions each. It'd be cool if VW arranges an all Veyron racing league, a la the Ferrari Enzo arrangement.

Well they certainly are getting a lot of attention.
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'd like to 1/4 mile a Bugatti Veyron against a Lingenfelter 427TT zo6 'vette just to see the look on the 'Gatti owner's face when a car that only costs about 160k blows it off the track with 8.7 -9.4 seconds in the 1/4 mile, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 time in less than 5 seconds, 0-200 in around 10, all while on street tires, and then drives home getting 24MPG on the highway.

The 'Gatti has about 13MPH top end speed on the vette, but is it REALLY worth that much more money?
smile.gif

I venture a guess that Bugatti also can take a corner. The only American production car that could do that like a sports car is Dodge Viper.
Comparing cars based on drag-racing abilities is pointless IMO.
American cars form 70s would blow most Ferraris/Lamborghinis in drag race even today (all those Chevy SS and Mustang Boss types). But who cares really, the joy of driving a sports car is in it's abilities to do all things at the limit of physics not just go straight while you standing with both feet on a gas pedal.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I venture a guess that Bugatti also can take a corner. The only American production car that could do that like a sports car is Dodge Viper.
Comparing cars based on drag-racing abilities is pointless IMO.
American cars form 70s would blow most Ferraris/Lamborghinis in drag race even today (all those Chevy SS and Mustang Boss types). But who cares really, the joy of driving a sports car is in it's abilities to do all things at the limit of physics not just go straight while you standing with both feet on a gas pedal.

+ infinity.

Jon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone knows that "corners" are just some european bullshit invention that detracts from the real issue - straight line speed.

The veyron is a nice performance package, but until a car can turn a 90 degree corner at 253mph, top speed will always be in a straight line. The Veyron will run out of gas in about an hour of race. A honda accord would pass it in a long haul.

Its a pretty package, but ultimately useless.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone knows that "corners" are just some european bullshit invention that detracts from the real issue - straight line speed.

Lets just say that regardless of how well the veyron corners, there are cars that corner better.

There are also cars that are better in a straight line.

The veyron is a nice performance package, but until a car can turn a 90 degree corner at 253mph, top speed will always be in a straight line. The Veyron will run out of gas in about fifteen minutes of race. A honda accord might pass it in a long race.

Its a pretty package, but ultimately useless.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently if you post something twice, it makes it true.

Seriously though, show me a production (currently being produced, and not limited edition) American car that can corner as well as a 911.

Jon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear iPods corner pretty good, too.

Production American cars in contention with a 911 based on comparable Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times: Corvette C6 Z06, Ford GT.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I hear iPods corner pretty good, too.

Production American cars in contention with a 911 based on comparable Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times: Corvette C6 Z06, Ford GT.

--Andre

So only the Vette then? It's the first time a Vette was able to take turns like that, right? The GT isn't a production car and its no longer made.

Jon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The C5 was pretty darn fast, too.

BTW, the times are compared against GT3s and Turbos, not the normal 911, which is actually quite a bit slower.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The C5 was pretty darn fast, too.

BTW, the times are compared against GT3s and Turbos, not the normal 911, which is actually quite a bit slower.

--Andre

Yes, but that's because they are more comparable when it comes to the top speed / acceleration of the Z06. I wonder however, if the 911 isn't faster in the individual corners...if you timed the speed at which both cars enter each corner and exit them, something tells me the 911 still corners better (and of course other factors play into how well a car corners, not just speed).

Jon.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drove Mustang Cobra as well as 2005-2006 Corvette 400hp version on a race track in NH. I also drove Dodge Viper., in Europe no less.
None of these cars come even close to Japs let alone Germans or Italians.
All of them suffer from a poorly calibrated suspension and nose-heavy truck-like behavior in a slalom.
Basically what American automakers are trying to do is WRONG. They are putting truck, pushrod engine in the front compartment of a light plastic body and then ship it to Germany for Porsche engineers to tune suspension. But not much you can do with a package that was conceived wrong, read unbalanced and from spare parts pulled from other unsuccessful vehicles.

I say Mustang Cobra is the worst of that line up I wanted to shoot at it. Loud, obnoxious, vibrating peace of disconnected clunk.

The problem is Indi car race. Americans think that going in large circles and letting cars drift is a car race. It's a marry go round and as American automakers consistently proving does not contribute to better sports car designs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads