• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friend going to HK, gonna place orders for me, do you think this method will work?

new obsession

Reaction score
My friend is going to HK for the first time, and he is excited about, among other things, finally having a shirt fit him. All his OTR shirts come down to about 3/4 of the way down his forearm. ANYWAY...

I saw Jantzen in person this year and had a suit and shirt made. Given the turn around time on net orders, I was thinking about giving my friend a letter and asking him to give it to Ricky...

I was thinking that if I gave my name, and the date I was there he would be able to pull my old information, and I could, in the letter, give some tweaks to the measurements from my last batch (post washing shrinkage etc), and some fabric numbers and have him make me some shirts, charging it to the card I used when I was last there. Which my friend could then examine when they come back and then have Ricky send them to me (at my cost of course).

I was also considering having him make me another suit, no tweaks, but I am not sure how to dictate a fabric and lining without simply having my friend pick something out, which could be a risky proposition.

Does any one have a feeling as to how well this might work, either the shirt idea, the suit idea or both?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shirt suggestion will work as long as your last order wasn't too long ago. Provide them with all the information needed and it should be fine. The turnaround time is 48 hours.

Sorting out the suit if you can't specific materials is going to be more difficult. Did you not get fittings with the last suit? Even using the same measurements, I'd imagine some adjustments are probably advisable...

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Sorting out the suit if you can't specific materials is going to be more difficult. Did you not get fittings with the last suit? Even using the same measurements, I'd imagine some adjustments are probably advisable...

I did get fittings the last time, and I am please with the final result. If I ended up with a suit with exactly the same measurements I extrememly happy. I imagine they could do it the same as the shirt, as they said they kept all the information. I am pretty sure I addressed the idea of doing a remote suit order when I was there and Ricky said that was no problem. Really wondering how I can determine a fabric...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, do you actually have any idea what sort of fabric you want ?
smile.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps go to a fabric store with your friend and look at some samples together, so he gets an idea on what you want. Make it worth his while - pay for a Jantzen shirt or two, perhaps.

Also, would your friend consider taking the suit with him? They could copy it, and then Jantzen could ship it back, with the new one, and charge you for it.

new obsession

Reaction score
I was thinking of looking at some things here and then giving something like a lot number or other identification number. But this may all be too complicated. In terms of fabrics, nothing crazy, VCB 120s or even 110s, Solid, medium (not too light or dark) gray. Pretty simple.

In terms of having him bring a suit and having Ricky send it back, do you think that is necessary if they have my measurements? If I am going to do that, I could probably just send it over there myself and say copy this...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know how they work. If they make a pattern from your measurements, then alter it as they alter the suit during fittings, then no, they wouldn't need the suit. If they don't do this, which takes time and effort, then yes, I think you'd want them to either have the suit, or have you for fittings.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't know how they work. If they make a pattern from your measurements, then alter it as they alter the suit during fittings, then no, they wouldn't need the suit. If they don't do this, which takes time and effort, then yes, I think you'd want them to either have the suit, or have you for fittings.

I sincerely doubt they do a paper pattern. Maybe I will just call Ricky and see what's what.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads