• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE JUNE 21ST 2013 - ORG'S BOLD TIE CHALLENGE

The Bold Tie Challenge: Who did it best?

• Claghorn

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Oldtog/Oldtrix

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • atia2

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • southernstyle

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • FlyingMonkey

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • RogerP

• cptjeff

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • RDiaz

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • bourbonbasted

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • SeaJen

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • CousinDonuts

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • in stitches

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Snoogz

• Winot

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • eazye

• ShaprlyTailored

• Sugarbutch

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Clapeyron

• SpooPoker

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Orgetorix

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • rms340

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • AnAcuteStyle

• Caustic Man

• YRR92

• Thin White Duke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • jcmeyer

• Butler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
e4523ad5-ec26-4a7c-a5b6-89e30d397890.jpg
Beppe wants to know: Do you have the confidence to wear a BOLD tie? Do you have the ability to pull it off? The challenge is to see how bold a necktie you can tastefully incorporate into your fit. Bright colors and bold patterns are encouraged. Solids are out, and soporifics will get you no points.
Fit pics taken this week are fair game. Deadline for submissions is Saturday morning, Eastern US time, whenever I get around to posting a poll.​
LL
Travelling tomorrow, so no entry. But in the spirit of the thing:
First outing for this beauty last week: Edit: taken within last 7 days, hope that counts!
I jumped the gun today:
Well, this should really have been entered last week. Or could have been. Sorry about the inevitably poor photos taken with a laptop camera which will no doubt ensure I get no votes. For some background, some of you may know that a major typhoon hit the Kansai area of Japan over the last couple of days. That's where I have been, and that why this cotton/linen Isaia suit in a fine blue and white stripe is rather crumpled, and also why - although you can't see this - the soles of my new 'antique smoke' Rider boots got soaked (all carefully dried out now and no harm done - and it did really highlight the fact that the Norwegian welting on these babies works phenomenonally well). Other deets: square is a cotton from a local company in Nippori in Japan where I am living which uses a traditional method of indigo dyeing but with modern designs (this one has bicycles on it); plain white Irish linen BD; and the tie, which should be the point: a very preppy number in primary colours from PRL - not at all my usual style, but it's summer and I think it works as the only brightly coloured element of the ensemble.
Sorry about the dental surgery, SB - hope that all fares well in the end. My entry for the Friday Challenge:
Happy Friday gents. Edit: close-up of tie.
Another pink paisley, but a somewhat different take on the rest of the outfit. I had to decide between this and a lime green one, but the pattern on the lime one is much more tame (small blue flowers), and I wore it last week. Besides, this tie is the only one I have that's drawn a compliment from a Senator.
Closeup of the tie:
As this is a "bold" tie challenge, I thought I'd channel a little bit of the late 40s "bold look" for men. Dangerous territory to emulate these days, so this is a fairly toned-down interpretation but still has the looser cut, showy DB lapels, very strongly coloured & patterned tie and an overall, well, bold effect. Spoo, your post upthread has me on tenterhooks! FlyingMonkey: looks great, in a very American sort of way. It reminds me of a movie (might have been Air America?) where there's this CIA guy or Congressman or something arrives in some SE Asian country dressed kind of like that. Actually, you look better than that guy did, but that's the vibe I'm getting.
Boldest tie I have + wrinkled linen trousers sprezz Pics don't seem to capture the true nature of this tie. It's a rather shiny silk reppe weave, with woven dots.
My bold is likely still boring...
I will add to the madras bucket. Good timing of this challenge as my wife and I are off to bet the ponies this afternoon. (she's wearing a fun bold dress too, but that accessory got cut out of the picture.)
(hope I don't lose points for navy pents. not sure what else to wear with a one-off seersucker jacket.)
here goes :) AND IN HONOR OF BEPPE IN THE OP
Terrible Pictures Im sorry. I had to use my phone this morning because I was in such a rush. But I still wanted to attempt to participate in this challenge.
Here's my rather over-exposed effort:
ude6adu9.jpg
Tie - Sims & McDonald Shirt - Sean O'Flynn Suit - Steven Hitchcock
It's completely overcast today, so my crappy pictures reflect that. Jacket is navy, shirt stripes are mid blue, tie is, well......
The tie in question
Yet ANOTHER bloody paisley tie...
Tie: Tie Rack Sunglasses: Ray Ban Pretentious photo editing skills: My own
Watch out, suckas! Things went more easily than I expected, and I decided to go in to the office.
BOOM.
Pink + Blue + White tie
I got John Blaze ****.
My intent was to wear a bold tie but not be gaudy about it - I could have pulled a Versace out and murdered it. But, I wanted to do something that was cohesive, which I think is much harder to accomplish than throwing on, oh, a pink cashmere attolini tie. :) Vintage MTM cotton suit (not my MTM) Tindari shirt Polo RL tie Hermes Bee jacquard gavroche Trafalgar cortina leather belt Aqua di Colonia Firenze Invisible socks Gaziano & Girling Antibes on their maiden voyage
This is one of the bolder ties I own...especially up close.
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2785.jpg
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2802.jpg
IMG_2804.jpg
First time contributing to a challenge. Cheers!
Houndstooth silk knitted tie
Pink shirt kick lately...
Not what I was planning on wearing, but this tie jumped out at me. Robert Talbott patchwork repp -- a tie made out of ties. Here's why you iron your pants, kids.
I wanted to wear this suit for the summer suit challenge but I was out of town:
Close up on boldness:
Probably won't hold up as bold, but what the heck.
Hopefully tasteful, and as Beppe bold as I can possible go in the circumstance! Morning coat and DB waistcoat by Steven Hitchcock Turnbull & Asser shirt with Budd detachable collar :bigstar:

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Bold? Yes. Tasteful? Hmmm.

Fierce challenge, Orge, good choice!

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This challenge needs some % action!
Nice choice O.
-TTO

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely in for this one. :nodding:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope bow ties count...

Sure they do! However, I will say that bold bow ties are easier to pull off because they're so much smaller. So you can still be very well dressed with a bold bow tie, but it won't be as impressive as a tastefully worn bold FIH.

:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads