• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE Jan 30, 2015: A study in stripes, part deux

Stripes: who did it bets?

• bienluienapris

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Anden

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • RoSaCe

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Cotton Dockers

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • EFV

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • heldentenor

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Prince of Paisley

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • cptjeff

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • steffenbp11

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • FlyingMonkey

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • calypso

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Cleav

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will use this week's Friday challenge to pay homage to one of my all time favourite threads here on SF (that unfortunately fizzled out prematurely) - A Study In Stripes: Regimental And Repp Ties I came to SF thinking that striped and/or repp ties were the absolutely most boring tie you could pick. Besides, the stripes ties I was used to see most people wearing were garish and frankly ugly. However, my transformation is now complete thanks to SF in general and this amazing thread in particular - I find myself reaching for a striped/repp tie on most days, simply because they are do damn versatile. So the challenge this week is simply to feature a striped/repp tie or bowtie. For further details and to find what constitutes a "good taste" striped tie I simply invite you to study the linked thread above......
The usual rules: apply: 1) Have fun! 2) Outfits must fit the basic premise of a CM fit i.e shirt, tie (duh!), suit/sc, trousers and proper shoes/boots. PS's are optional. 43) One entry per person, in addition I will select a single pic to include in the summary post for voting Submissions must be posted by Sunday February 1, 2015 at 09.00 CET. All submissions are to have been worn this week! This week's entries are:
Stripe is a good theme, so i'm in. Please find my modest entry in order to participate to this FC. Stripped grenadine tie :
OK, it's only Wednesday but I'll jump in with WIWT.
(Cross-posted from WAYWRN) Tie is Drake's. Looks like wool but in fact it's 100% silk.
Tie is a 7-fold wool thing from Tie your Tie. Worn today with navy flannel from Corneliani, my new tweed pents fresh from the tailor - PRL by Corneliani and RL Marlows. The hank is also wool. Shirt Kamakura. Cordovan on the wrist. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
LL
LL
LL
Hi all, It's an honour to participate in this FC, trying to mix stripes, stripes and checks !
more information on http://thefattorialist.tumblr.com/post/109389376878/wiwt-rosace-suit-suit-supply-shirt-boggi#notes
First FC I've had the chance to enter in awhile, keeping things pretty trad:
Channeling my inner Mr. Chips . . .
iPhone quality pics. Wore mid brown single monks today, I never wear outdoor shoes indoors this time of year.
Pingson may disqualify this since it's technically not a repp or regimental, but it's my only striped tie:
Some great entries already, so I'm possibly just making up the numbers, but at the very least it was a useful exercise for me to wear a repp stripe tie for a change, and that's what these challenges are all about.
Detail:
Trying a new, and I think much better, photo setup. End of the day, so excuse the flash and a few wrinkles.
Just realized that today's outfit qualifies ( thanks @EliodA So Might as well throw my hat in the ring:
Deets: 3-piece suit by Peacock & Sons (London) 1964; burgundy / silver / white repp tie by Brooks Brothers, from around the same time; silver-grey cotton square; pink shirt is a Trywhitt. Also wearing (unseen) Herring winter shearling-lined black captoe boots, as it's fuh-reezing here in Ontario. I wouldn't say they were beautiful, but they look better than Sorels!
Nice, FM.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice one!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This FC should be a winner. I expect Clags to make a strong showing.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I participated last week! Though by accident. And I participated the week before (with the Pitti challenge thing), though it was a weak showing. And I tried to participate in the brown tie challenge but missed the deadline (and I think I would have finished in top 3 there).

Anyway, I don't have any striped ties on the docket for this week. I may make a change, but if I don't, I'll let what I wore yesterday stand in as my entry.

Note: this is two weeks in a row that I dressed for the challenge before I knew what the challenge was.

The winner of next week's challenge should make a "Choose a theme from what Claghorn wore on Monday" Challenge.

Wait. Damn. I meant to wear a brown striped tie yesterday, but decided to go with a neat. Damn. Oh well.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A repp stripe with yesterday's suit would have been good. C'est la vie...

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I participated last week! Though by accident. And I participated the week before (with the Pitti challenge thing), though it was a weak showing. And I tried to participate in the brown tie challenge but missed the deadline (and I think I would have finished in top 3 there).

Anyway, I don't have any striped ties on the docket for this week. I may make a change, but if I don't, I'll let what I wore yesterday stand in as my entry.

Note: this is two weeks in a row that I dressed for the challenge before I knew what the challenge was.

The winner of next week's challenge should make a "Choose a theme from what Claghorn wore on Monday" Challenge.

Wait. Damn. I meant to wear a brown striped tie yesterday, but decided to go with a neat. Damn. Oh well.

You said you don't have any striped ties on the docket this week. Is that to say you don't plan on wearing any more ties this week or you make plans for what you will be wearing for the entire week on Monday? If the latter, interesting.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I make plans for what I'm wearing the entire week on Sunday (sometimes including pocket squares, sometimes not). It's a really enjoyable exercise done over a beer.

Sometimes I deviate though. For example, yesterday I had planned on wearing a brown striped tie but decided at the last minute to wear a brown neat (since I decided at the last minute to switch out a solid blue shirt for a striped one).

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I make plans for what I'm wearing the entire week on Sunday (sometimes including pocket squares, sometimes not). It's a really enjoyable exercise done over a beer.

Sometimes I deviate though. For example, yesterday I had planned on wearing a brown striped tie but decided at the last minute to wear a brown neat (since I decided at the last minute to switch out a solid blue shirt for a striped one).

That's really quite interesting. I don't do this, but I could see it saving me some anguish in the morning. Does anyone else plan there outfits for the week? Do you iron press/layout stuff or just make mental notes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads