• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge: Green tie with a twist

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
On one hand, a straightforward challenge, like a Green Tie Challenge, can generate a lot of participation, something which is at a premium in Friday challenges. On the other hand, it isn't interesting. So there's the challenge.

Wear a green tie, but wear one interestingly. Failing an interesting outfit, put a spin on your entry so that the entry itself is interesting, regardless of the outfit.

I'll post the poll next Saturday. Outfits worn since the close of the last FC (so last Sunday).

Some inspiration.

Nice outfit @Murlsquirl . 0/10. Please read the description of the challenge before I use you as an example without your expressed written consent.
upload_2017-9-29_21-38-32.jpeg

@UrbanComposition One of my favorite green tie outfits. 1.5/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-40-16.jpeg

Unnecessarily wide tie. 2/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-42-47.jpeg

Green tie with textural interest and an orange jacket. Meh. 3/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-37-41.jpeg

Vaguely seductive image of a green tie 5/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-44-24.jpeg

When you let Terry Gilliam give you and your questionably green tie the Dutch angle treatment 5.5/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-45-23.jpeg

Unusual green tie. 7/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-41-51.jpeg

A green tie that'll make you say "that's an orange tie." Well played @Tirailleur1 8/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-41-9.jpeg

Unusual green tie with a green shirt 8.5/10
upload_2017-9-29_21-43-57.jpeg

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, Cody, step it up next time before not posting your non-submitted entry.

:-D

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Multiple attempts are encouraged.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you are from the humanities so I must tailor my entry accordingly, especially with that introduction.

I present the idea of taking an orange tie and calling it green. Since identity is subjective, and I believe this concept of a tie is now green, it meets the contest requirements. Out of a spirit of continuity (or laziness), I will not submit a photo of the actual tie (a wonderful Drakes madder) being worn, but will suggest to your imagination the idea of such a tie on a shirt worn interestingly, which makes it so.

I also expect you to take the dialogical position on subjectivity and reject my semiosis. To this I respond by referring to the dynamic multiplicity of my I-positions in the landscape of my mind; in the particular spatial position of myself with respect to this thread, orange is green and photos can be declared verbally.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BeingGreen-02.jpg
BeingGreen-03.jpg
BeingGreen-05.jpg

It's not going to be easy beating @crdb's wonderful semiotic Drake's madder. But if I learned something from my own philosophy studies many years ago, it's that humans tend to prefer big and bold ideas rather than subtle and complex. A theory of everything if you will. I therefore went for a more conventional spatial presentation with a basic and simple, yet all encompassing, premise: all green.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 850564 View attachment 850565 View attachment 850566

It's not going to be easy beating @crdb's wonderful semiotic Drake's madder. But if I learned something from my own philosophy studies many years ago, it's that humans tend to prefer big and bold ideas rather than subtle and complex. A theory of everything if you will. I therefore went for a more conventional spatial presentation with a basic and simple, yet all encompassing, premise: all green.
I see you have matched the muted tone of your madder and tweed with an exceptionally representative Brutalist car park in just the right state of disrepair-cleanliness; I would additionally have chosen a darker hour for the feeling the more modern parts of the city can impart on its residents (say, the airport train station on a day of half melted snow-rain, or my favourite, the ILO which could have been, unmodified, a great exterior for Terry Gilliam's Brazil). In fact I know just the right fence-ringed car park, some way to the right of the IATA/Swissair building looking at the runways (the Swissair building is, however, too tasteful - at least some of the architects were awake on the job).

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You clearly know Geneva. I think I know the carpark you are referring to, maybe that can be used in future sessions! The ILO building is magnificent in its combination of half-assed brutalist architecture and basic structural incompetence. And it's, as hard as it might be to believe, even worse inside. It will have to be closed for renovation for a couple of years to clean out all the asbestos in the walls.

I'm fortunate to spend more time in the former ILO building, Centre William Rappard, which now belongs to the WTO.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, you are from the humanities so I must tailor my entry accordingly, especially with that introduction.

I present the idea of taking an orange tie and calling it green. Since identity is subjective, and I believe this concept of a tie is now green, it meets the contest requirements. Out of a spirit of continuity (or laziness), I will not submit a photo of the actual tie (a wonderful Drakes madder) being worn, but will suggest to your imagination the idea of such a tie on a shirt worn interestingly, which makes it so.

I also expect you to take the dialogical position on subjectivity and reject my semiosis. To this I respond by referring to the dynamic multiplicity of my I-positions in the landscape of my mind; in the particular spatial position of myself with respect to this thread, orange is green and photos can be declared verbally.

Barking up the wrong tree, mate. Social sciences 4 lyfe.

Though there is an objective color (#00FF00), our use of green, the application of the name to that wavelength and it’s surrounding wavelengths, is a social construction (Berger & Luckmann, 1966). Despite the subjectivity of social constructionism, the bounds of legitimate application of the category “green” are dependent on social context (Suchman, 1995). In a context which requires chromatic precision, such as interior design, “green” may be a narrower category than in a context in which precision is less valued, such as that if a kindergarten classroom. I’d argue that in a menswear forum, a good degree of precision is expected. This is not to say that you cannot enter a necktie which many of us would not categorize as green, only that to successfully do so, you need to engage in institutional work (Lawrence, Leca, & Zilber, 2013), specifically institutional entrepreneurship—the deliberate creation of new institutions or the modification of existing ones (Battilana, Leca, & Boxenbaum, 2009; Maguire, Hardy, & Lawrence, 2005)—of the institutionalized category green. Though Battilana and colleagues Academy of Management Annals piece is excellent, if you do want to enter your questionably green tie, I recommend Bitektine and Haack (2015), which reviews a number of legitimation strategies, grouping them into those which aim to influence the social evaluations of institutional stakeholders (propriety) and those involve framing an entity as valid (i.e. causing them to be perceived as something that most others see as legitimate, which then directly affects behavior as well as individual evaluation).

But all that silliness aside (though I do research things like categories and social evaluations in business/organizational contexts), you are entering a description of a tie that may or may not be perceived by others as green, yes?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shall try, this could be interesting.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barking up the wrong tree, mate. Social sciences 4 lyfe.
Let me adapt the style accordingly:

[...] to successfully do so, you need to engage in institutional work (Lawrence, Leca, & Zilber, 2013), specifically institutional entrepreneurship—the deliberate creation of new institutions or the modification of existing ones (Battilana, Leca, & Boxenbaum, 2009; Maguire, Hardy, & Lawrence, 2005)—of the institutionalized category green. Though Battilana and colleagues Academy of Management Annals piece is excellent, if you do want to enter your questionably green tie, I recommend Bitektine and Haack (2015), which reviews a number of legitimation strategies, grouping them into those which aim to influence the social evaluations of institutional stakeholders (propriety) and those involve framing an entity as valid (i.e. causing them to be perceived as something that most others see as legitimate, which then directly affects behavior as well as individual evaluation).
5 likes so far in this thread excluding your initial post. Of these, I have 2 and gave 1. Given a 90% confidence level, which seems (like the sample size) appropriate for social sciences, a Wilson Score confidence interval puts my chance of a majority vote between 27% and 86%, which makes it is highly likely that the subversive group has already been formed and victory is mine.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You clearly know Geneva. I think I know the carpark you are referring to, maybe that can be used in future sessions! The ILO building is magnificent in its combination of half-assed brutalist architecture and basic structural incompetence. And it's, as hard as it might be to believe, even worse inside. It will have to be closed for renovation for a couple of years to clean out all the asbestos in the walls.

I'm fortunate to spend more time in the former ILO building, Centre William Rappard, which now belongs to the WTO.
Yes, Albert Speer meets Boris Iofan with a lake view, much better than second rate Corbu pastiche.

[edited out to keep on topic]

If you're looking for a themed spot to submit a new entry I vaguely remember that Quai 9 behind Cornavin reflects photons at a Claghorn-approved frequency. If you are lucky and it freezes on a windy night, the Bains' walkway ice can look sort of blue-green and your attempts at staying upright on it with leather sole will make the shot interesting.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads