• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 5th SEPTEMBER 2014: LOUD TIES WORN WELL

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I daresay that's just a regular old handsome tie, nabil. Get that mess outta here, son! Bring your A game or stay off the field. :)

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
119tsp5.jpg

2qtfyxd.jpg

3168aox.jpg

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, yesterday I voiced my concerns regarding certain barely-reconcilable conditions of this challenge, and intimated that I might need to re-think my own entry.

I have now done so. Different tie; more attention paid to colour matching; further offsetting the tie's loudness by incorporating other points of visual interest; and attempting better overall cohesion, within the paradigm of a somewhat dignified dandyism.

Whether the result is an improvement on my previous effort is anybody's guess, but I present it anyway. This is now my official entry.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To echo an earlier post: NOW THAT'S A SERIOUS ENTRY!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

Thought so!

Might have to withdraw from this week's FC.

I like the last photo in your spoilered batch. That's a loud tie within a sharp fit. Substitute that one (I'm sure Gerry will allow it) and I reckon you'll be a contender.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see this, with pattern on a larger scale, as curtains for a brightly lit English drawing room. Mahogany furniture with upholstery in a monochrome yellow silk of a similar shade. Walls probably in a paler yellow. A black chinoiserie cupboard at one wall. Some blue-and-white Chinese pottery (similar in colouring to Coxsackie's shirt here).

You totally have my ear on this. When I eventually buy my dilapidated Victorian mansion, will you be available to consult on the interior refurbishment?

I was thinking, William Morris prints, French damask silk window dressings with sumptuous tasselled swags and tails, fringed Ottomans in the drawing room, perhaps matching Boulle bas-buffets on each side of the fireplace. Are we on the same page here?

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As winner of last weeks 'All Blues' challenge I present to you this weeks challenge - the loud tie challenge.

All you have to do is to wear a loud tie tastefully - can it be done? Yes? Show us how!

The definition of 'loud' is up to you but it's at the opposite end of the spectrum from soporific.

Rules -
1) Challenge is open to fits from this week only from now until midnight AEST Saturday 6th September (Australian time)
2) Outfits must fit the basic premise of a MC fit i.e shirt, tie, suit/sc, trousers and proper shoes/boots. PS's are optional.
3) The tie must be loud (D'Uh!
smile.gif
)
4) The rest of your fit may be as loud (or not) as you want - just remember to keep it tasteful
5) One entry per person - if you submit more than one entry, you must nominate one as your final submission

Edit: Corrected the closing date.

I like the last photo in your spoilered batch. That's a loud tie within a sharp fit. Substitute that one (I'm sure Gerry will allow it) and I reckon you'll be a contender.

Thanks, CS.

But that's a very old post (from summer!) so it probably would contradict the spirit of the challenge.

All good in the hood, though - onwards towards the next FC!

I didn't put any rule on when the outift was worn so if you want to submit that, Nabil, I'll accept it.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You totally have my ear on this. When I eventually buy my dilapidated Victorian mansion, will you be available to consult on the interior refurbishment?

I was thinking, William Morris prints, French damask silk window dressings with sumptuous tasselled swags and tails, fringed Ottomans in the drawing room, perhaps matching Boulle bas-buffets on each side of the fireplace. Are we on the same page here?

Replace the William Morris prints with more French silk as wall hangings - William Morris, remember, was someone who championed the Aesthetic Movement, a reaction against the historicist revival styles (Baroque Revival, Rococo Revival) - having his wallpaper in a room with silk damask drapes and Boulle bas-buffets would be a clash of styles. If you wanted to lighten the look a bit, replace the Boulle with Loius XVI (or even Louis XV) - matching low commodes at either side of the mantelpiece is always a good look (extra style points if there are chinoiserie panels inset into the furniture, inside the ormolu frames).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads