• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 12TH SEPTEMBER 2014: The Green Jacket Challenge

Who Wore Green The Best?

• FlyingMonkey

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • EFV

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • cptjeff

• upr_crust

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • CesarRenuan

• clarinetplayer

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • SeaJen

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • archibaldleach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Anden

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • SeamasterLux

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • DonCologne

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • bytor13

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • nabilmust

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • katabatic

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • tchoy

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Butler

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Coxsackie

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • pocketsquareguy

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Foxhound

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the winner of the last contest, iI get to choose the theme for this week's Friday Challenge and so, this week it's:

The Green Jacket Challenge

This can be in any fabric you desire (tweed, worsted wool, corduroy, moleskin, cotton, linen, etc.)

The Rules:

Rules -
1) Challenge is open to fits from this week only from now until midnight AEST Saturday 13th September (Australian time)
2) Outfits must fit the basic premise of a CM fit i.e shirt, tie, suit/sc, trousers and proper shoes/boots. PS's are optional.
3) The jacket should be green - olive, lime, forest, kelly, etc. are all acceptable
4) No casual jackets like waxed cotton Barbours, M65 field jackets, etc.
5) One entry per person - if you submit more than one entry, you must nominate one as your final submission

Some inspiration:

The (Outstanding) Entries:

I'm going to put this here and leave it up to the Solomonic wisdom of Gerry... the jacket is complex tweed, on a deep green base, with blue cross-weave and a purple and red overcheck. Does that make it 'green'? I don't know... but it's the nearest thing I own to green. Needless to say it would have also been my entry had we done a loud jacket challenge! It's all because I have to go to a garden party later today BTW... and man, do I look tired and washed out today...
dozingoff.gif

Got home today, changed the navy SC I'd been wearing for this one, before I took the dogs for a walk. Because Friday challenge is serious business.

I saw an email from StyFo when I was dressing up and was this mention, I saw the title and wore the jacket today. it was very cold in the morning so it served good. So, here's my entry, bad light make hard to get the color but I hope I did well.

I switched position to see if I could get a bit more direct light.

Well that makes a guy really want to wade into the fray....

A little rumpled, having taken the photos after a long, humid day. But somebody had to be the first to pull out an olive houndstooth jacket.

P1020753_zps6fe8f535.jpg

P1020752_zpsf4105223.jpg

x-post WAYWRN . . .

posted from my phone. Heres a larger photo.

Details. Super 120 wool blazer, vintage italian silk paisley tie, and a basic cream colored tie, shirt is a high spread collar, all created by yours truly.

Green corduroy jacket, light blue end-on-end shirt, navy wool tie, chinos. Dark brown double monks not pictured.

Closer view of the jacket, shirt and tie with slightly more accurate colors.

Very impressive entries so far!

Here's mine:

Here is my green jacket. Up close. Medium distance and from a far. Unfortunately I dropped my PS in the woods...
Paired with cords, cordovan and a green grenadine tie.

Shot on a Canon 5DII with the Zeiss Otus 55/1.4. That lens is pure sex.

Here is my entry. Cashmere and silk Ermenegildo Zegna sport coat with micro brown and tan houndstooth wool trousers, an Emma Willis MTM shirt and a Drake's for Bergdorf Goodman tie, Drake's PS as well. Carmina tobacco suede shoes.

My humble entry. Still trying to get good photos at work.

This actually looks olive IRL, I swear.

P Johnson - Ascot Chang - Drakes - No shooz

I've been wearing this mostly as a casual suit, or with corduroy jeans. First time I've pulled it out with proper odd trousers.

Beckett & Robb / Proper Cloth / Conrad Wu / Vanda Fine Clothing / Allen Edmonds

Some great entries gentlemen.

"The" Steven Hitchcock Lovat Tweed coat sans waistcoat and trousers - Moleskins and PS by Cordings - Turnbull & Asser shirt - Mariano Rubinacci cashmere tie - Burburry belt - Lobb suedes
bigstar[1].gif

[/URL

]

HOO boy. Butler comes roaring in with a dangerously strong submission, a mere four hours before I'm due to post mine.

Ach, WTF. I never get close to winning these things anyway. But I do have the most awesomeballs shades in the first shot. So here goes nothing...

Sartore - vintage Cébé - Versace City - Nick Bronson for Henry Bucks - Henry Carter - random belt - Uniqlo - Santoni

My only photo of a green jacket. Pink is my favorite shirt color to wear with green. Especially the mossy greens. My second favorite shirt color with a rich green jacket is either washed denim or chambray.

Well, here's my entry. Only photo I have of it.

Oscar Hunt
Kamakura
Drakes
Oscar Hunt
Church's

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
solids only GN?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put this here and leave it up to the Solomonic wisdom of Gerry... the jacket is complex tweed, on a deep green base, with blue cross-weave and a purple and red overcheck. Does that make it 'green'? I don't know... but it's the nearest thing I own to green. Needless to say it would have also been my entry had we done a loud jacket challenge! It's all because I have to go to a garden party later today BTW... and man, do I look tired and washed out today...
dozingoff.gif

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to allow it as the base is clearly green, @FlyingMonkey

Yay! I am waiting for @Betelgeuse to enter this one as I know he has at least one superb green jacket, and he tends to wear things at the green / olive/ brown end of the spectrum very well. Also @gdl203 and @RedDevil10 ? I'm pretty sure I remember something excellent in this area from both of them... I may be wrong though; I have a terrible memory.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green is my favorite color, and gets seriously underrated in classic menswear. Can't wait to get some inspiration from this thread. Also have a distinct feeling that it may prompt me to buy the green ribbed cashmere SC I've been on the fence about...
puzzled.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads