• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found Canali sportscoat at Marshall's

Keon

Reaction score
This Canali 3-button blazer I immediately fell in love with is at a local Marshall's for $299. Do you think it will be marked down further? Also, it's a 48R (Italian size). Is that a 38R? I'm usually a 39R. Thanks.

lpresq

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it were marked down any further before someone picks it up. Yes, an IT 48 is roughly a 38 US, but mm's vary greatly among labels. For ex., a 38R in Canali may be a 40R in Isaia.

spence

Reaction score
If it fits it fits, I wouldn't worry about the size, although a drop 10 might be right. Drop 12 might work also...it depends on the cut of the Canali and the cut of your body. I'm a 46-44 US and take a 56-54 Canali.

Marshalls usual starting price is often $399 for a Canali coat, although they often mark them at $149 for some reason. I've seen the exact same coat marked $399 and $149 at different stores...wierd...

That being said, if you like the coat and it fits you well $299 isn't a steal but it's not terrible either. There's a chance, if you're really willing to wait that it will get marked down, perhaps a lot, but then someone else will probably buy it to sell on SF.com
smile.gif

Personally, I consider $250 a good price on Canali, and sub $200 a great buy.

-spence

Keon

Reaction score
Thanks both of you. I'm on the fence about this. It fits but if I gain any weight it would be tight.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the possibility of a markdown will depend greatly on your market. I've been in some Marshall's where the nicer stuff just sits ... and sits ... and sits. I've been in others, usually in more urban areas, that have quite a bit of turnover.

Of course, if your store is the former, it's possible there will be someone else eager to snap up the bargain, especially in such a desirable size. I don't see nice things in sizes below 40 on deep, deep discount very often.

Personally, if I really wanted it, I'd pull the trigger at $299.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its got a red tag then don't expect further markdowns.

Also, I have done this wait and hope thing once at my Marshals and was quite disappointed to see the item gone very soon after. If a certain Marshals gets higher end stuff when they buy from Bloomingdales or Bergdorf etc... don't expect the store to be your little secret. Loads of people will know about the place, pull the trigger.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Man, which Marshall's is this?

Can't help you in the Northeast, but in my area (So Cal) the South Coast Marshals can be good. And the La Jolla Marshalls can be really good. In the past month they have had RLBL and Polo suits, Zegna, Z-Zegna, Canali, Armani Collezioni and Hickey Freeman, Corneliani etc. Also have other random items from Bergdorf like a lot of RLX snow gear, RL cashmere shawl cardigans etc..

Sadly nothing but a lame Z-Zegna blazer in my size.

The La Jolla store is right across the street from my U. so I often skip a class and take a look, then go back to class.

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
o.o i live in la jolla, a couple minutes from the la jolla marshalls. i could walk there in about 7minutes. driving about 2 minutes. i shall check it out. never knew what marshalls had

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yawn123_#21
o.o i live in la jolla, a couple minutes from the la jolla marshalls. i could walk there in about 7minutes. driving about 2 minutes. i shall check it out. never knew what marshalls had

This is what I was afraid of. If you are a 38r this is bad ...
boxing[1].gif

HAha, kidding. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads