• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found a great shaving routine for sensitive skin

RyanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
West Coast Shaving also sells a good sample pack, but I too found someone on Badger & Blade (very friendly guys there) for a sample pack since I am cheap.

+1 different blades can make a big difference.

I also have a sensitive skin problem; what's been working for me is the Truefit and Hill Ultimate Comfort cream and aftershave, occassionally I use their pre-shave oil too.

Badger and Blade is a good resource for shaving tips.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mix olive oil with sandalwood oil as a pre-shave oil

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hobolicious
Are you guys with sensitive skin washing your face with soap prior to shaving? Those of you who are having issues with cutting, I mean?

My understanding is that this is bad, as the soap (unless it's a moisturizing soap) will dry the cuticle of the hair, making it harder to cut, AND will also remove any natural oils on the skin that might help the razor glide over the skin.

Seems like the best bet might be to simply use a hot towel for a minute or two before shaving (to soften the hairs), then apply lather and shave as normal.

Problem with that is you're leaving the dirt and grime on your face too, and then it's deposited into your brush for the next time. Soaps take the natural oil away but the pre-shave oils/glycerin/moisterizers you use after are going to retain moisture. Not everyone washes their face before, and I don't imagine it makes much difference. If you're doing multiple passes... you relather after your first pass strips any natural oils off anyway.

nystyle86

Reaction score
I have sensitive skin that is prone to acne breakouts after close shaves. I strictly used an electric wet shaver for years, but they never give you the best shave. Then I switched to razors and my ongoing experiments are not going so well and are becoming expensive. I tried Fusion, Mach3 and now 2 blade Sensor Excel. 2 blades give me least irritation. I also added a shave oil and MenScience shave cream and post shave spray. I see great improvements from what it was before, but my neck line and cheeks still get razor burn because I make several passes against the grain to get a desired shave, even though knowing that it is not recommended.

For some reason I have not realized why shaving after 1 or 2 days gives me worse results than a shave every 4-5 days when the beard grows out more.

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nystyle86
I have sensitive skin that is prone to acne breakouts after close shaves. I strictly used an electric wet shaver for years, but they never give you the best shave. Then I switched to razors and my ongoing experiments are not going so well and are becoming expensive. I tried Fusion, Mach3 and now 2 blade Sensor Excel. 2 blades give me least irritation. I also added a shave oil and MenScience shave cream and post shave spray. I see great improvements from what it was before, but my neck line and cheeks still get razor burn because I make several passes against the grain to get a desired shave, even though knowing that it is not recommended.

For some reason I have not realized why shaving after 1 or 2 days gives me worse results than a shave every 4-5 days when the beard grows out more.

First off, stop shaving atg if it's messing your face up. Duh. It makes absolutely no sense to get a close shave anyways if you go that long in between shaves. The reason it probably irritates you more when you shave 1 to 2 days as opposed to 4-5 is because it's probably too much for your face. Maybe try a thicker pre-shave oil too, AOS is hella' thick. There is no way I'd be focused on getting a close shave if it gave me acne. And if you're using a brush, I'd try a brushless shaving cream. Good luck.

Reaction score
Performance Tips for a Great Shave:
Water, water Everywhere!
"¢\tThe best time to shave is in or immediately following a shower or washing your face. A warm moist face equals easier hair removal. Alternatively, you can apply a warm moist towel to the face for 2 to 3 minutes prior to shaving in order to soften the skin. The warmth of the towel swells the hair shaft, allowing the blade to cut the hair, not your skin. Never shave cold or with a dry face!
Cream de La Crème!
"¢\tMassage a quality shave cream into the skin with upward motions. The best products will lock moisture into your whiskers and do not foam up - foam is merely soap filled water. Work that shave cream into your beard well to make sure your whiskers are softened into submission. Dry, rough beard hair can easily get entangled into your razor. Leave on one to three minutes before starting to shave.
Dull blades are the enemy.
"¢\tNo matter how much you believe your razor is good enough for 1 or 2 more runs, any sight of rust is a bad sight. Always use a sharp blade. A dull blade is responsible for many shaving cuts as it drags over the face and catches the skin along with the hairs of the beard. Replace the blade every three to seven shaves.
Grains of Wisdom
"¢\tShave with the grain of your hair growth - this can be in different directions on your face versus the neck area. Shaving against the grain causes ingrown hairs (razor bumps) and is advised only as a way to donate blood.
Skimming the Surface
"¢\tUsing short strokes, and using your free hand to pull your skin taut and flat, start your shave with the sideburns. Then move to the cheeks and neck. Finish with upper lip and chin last, since whiskers are heaviest in this area. Do not apply too much pressure - razor burn is no one's friend.
Razor Sharp Approach
"¢\tRinse your blade in hot water before you begin to shave and after every few swipes - this removes shaving cream, whiskers and dead skin. The warm water will also keep the skin moist as you're shaving making it less prone to damage.
Close Encounter
"¢\tFor an even closer shave, apply more shave cream and re-shave - again with the grain.
Rubbed the Wrong Way
"¢\tRinse your face with cool water and pat dry with a towel. Never rub.
Non-Alcohol, Please
"¢\tShaving can remove up to two layers of skin which is why it's important to use a quality after-shave moisturizer. The best products replace lost moisture and soothe, cool and refresh the skin. Forget alcohol heavy concoctions - they're all pain, no gain.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GentsLLC Shave/Skin
Performance Tips for a Great Shave:
Water, water Everywhere!
"¢\tNo matter how much you believe your razor is good enough for 1 or 2 more runs, any sight of rust is a bad sight.
"¢\tShave with the grain of your hair growth - this can be in different directions on your face versus the neck area. Shaving against the grain causes ingrown hairs (razor bumps) and is advised only as a way to donate blood.

First one is common sense, so much so it's laughable. Second is good, I never realized that the neck usually is a different direction until I started trying it out. Where are you usually getting the irritation, all over or just one part?

I have Merkur and Derby blades, but have found that 7am blades work best for me. Definitely try sampling around.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GentsLLC Shave/Skin
Performance Tips for a Great Shave: Water, water Everywhere! •\tThe best time to shave is in or immediately following a shower or washing your face. A warm moist face equals easier hair removal. Alternatively, you can apply a warm moist towel to the face for 2 to 3 minutes prior to shaving in order to soften the skin. The warmth of the towel swells the hair shaft, allowing the blade to cut the hair, not your skin. Never shave cold or with a dry face! Cream de La Crème! •\tMassage a quality shave cream into the skin with upward motions. The best products will lock moisture into your whiskers and do not foam up – foam is merely soap filled water. Work that shave cream into your beard well to make sure your whiskers are softened into submission. Dry, rough beard hair can easily get entangled into your razor. Leave on one to three minutes before starting to shave. Dull blades are the enemy. •\tNo matter how much you believe your razor is good enough for 1 or 2 more runs, any sight of rust is a bad sight. Always use a sharp blade. A dull blade is responsible for many shaving cuts as it drags over the face and catches the skin along with the hairs of the beard. Replace the blade every three to seven shaves. Grains of Wisdom •\tShave with the grain of your hair growth – this can be in different directions on your face versus the neck area. Shaving against the grain causes ingrown hairs (razor bumps) and is advised only as a way to donate blood. Skimming the Surface •\tUsing short strokes, and using your free hand to pull your skin taut and flat, start your shave with the sideburns. Then move to the cheeks and neck. Finish with upper lip and chin last, since whiskers are heaviest in this area. Do not apply too much pressure – razor burn is no one’s friend. Razor Sharp Approach •\tRinse your blade in hot water before you begin to shave and after every few swipes – this removes shaving cream, whiskers and dead skin. The warm water will also keep the skin moist as you’re shaving making it less prone to damage. Close Encounter •\tFor an even closer shave, apply more shave cream and re-shave – again with the grain. Rubbed the Wrong Way •\tRinse your face with cool water and pat dry with a towel. Never rub. Non-Alcohol, Please •\tShaving can remove up to two layers of skin which is why it’s important to use a quality after-shave moisturizer. The best products replace lost moisture and soothe, cool and refresh the skin. Forget alcohol heavy concoctions – they’re all pain, no gain.
Most of this is really just generic entry-level shave advice that you can get anywhere, usually given to unsuspecting customers by an Art of Shaving salesperson or the like. This thread is for people who know all of that but shaving still causes irritation. Your advice in some cases is by no means wrong, but everyone here already knows that stuff. As for shaving back-to-back, how does that jive with the idea of having skin so sensitive people can't even shave once? If your skin is sensitive you can't go over it a second time, so you go against the grain the FIRST and ONLY time you shave to get it really really close the first time. Besides, going with the grain two times even for people with normal skin is useless because you never get the hairs at the odd angles. I've had multiple straight-razor shaves and no one goes with the grain TWICE. They go once with and once against.

Psyren

Reaction score
I got similar advice at B&B forum. Was getting irritation from just using a pre shave oil as my prep, though before I was using cream and a brush but it wasn't working better than the oil so I just stuck with the oil until overtime it was giving me worse and worse shaves. When I posted there they told me to use the oil then apply the cream with the brush and gave me tips here and there and my shaves have been better than ever since.

So I recommend those who are having trouble to post your routine there (with detail) and hopefully they'll find your mistakes and whatnot.

Teambean

Reaction score
Long time reader...first time "poster". I felt complelled to throw my two cents in as shaving has always been an issue for me. My problem area is around the neck. Sensitivity in that area kept me from shaving regularly. Im a firm beliver that the razor is 50% of the equation and the shave cream/gel is the other 50%. While I think Ive found the answer for the razor...Gillete Fusion...the shave gel was a long search. Ive tried them all...from inexpensive to pricey...Colgate, Jack Black, Anthony, The Grooming Lounge, Clinique, Barabasol, etc...all with varying degrees of success. I stumbled upon a brand called Matte For Men (small company out of Arizona) that makes I few different grooming items. My good friend (who shaves his head daily) recommended I give their Antioxidant Shave Gel a try and my search ended there. Its a concentrate that "activates' with water...a little goes a long way. Smells like coffee/chocolate, but allows me to shave on a daily basis with no issues at all. No cuts or ingrowns since I began using it.While not cheap...a tube lasts me 3 months and is the only step needed to get a great shave. So the final recco: Power Fusion plus Matte For Men.

Berticus

Reaction score
Power Fusion? I'm sorry, but that's just going to be a problem right there. Stick with either a straight razor (my choice) or a double edge safety. Couple of years ago I would've totally supported what you said, but I've since then converted to a straight razor shaver. Never heard of matte for men. Typically gels and other goo you get in a can is not a good idea. Better stick with real shaving cream (comes in a tube or cup) or shaving soap. 3 months is a very short time. I go through a cake of soap in about 9 months. Neck is generally a problem area because the grain doesn't grow down. Around the chin, for some men, the grain starts to swirl outward. So in that way, you have to start shaving sideways to get the "with the grain" shaves. it's a bit odd they would recommend pre-shave oil. Maybe it's more of a DE thing, but pre-shave oil is typically avoided by the straight razor community, particularly since it's not good for the brush. But if it works for you, can't argue against that.
Originally Posted by LVoer
I've had multiple straight-razor shaves and no one goes with the grain TWICE. They go once with and once against.
True, no point in doing a double pass with the same angle of attack. I have a third pass in between though, which is across the grain.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
One word: Repetition. Repetition is the problem. With the grain, against the grain...whatever...try to shave with the fewest strokes possible. Re-lather when attacking the same area. Lubrication and fewest strokes is the name of the game. I do believe in the four blade system. There is a video about all the research, time and money that went into developing the four blade system...it works. I got a barber shave six months ago...great experience...terrible shave!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads