• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alfa Romeo is joining F1 not "may join". Gives Ferrari a junior team since Haas isn't go to just roll over and do everything Ferrari says in terms of junior drivers.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New logo and (more importantly) the entire brand system are a solid step up from the current logo and the half-assed whatever that FOM have been doing. Looking forward to their over-the-top streaming service, too.

Aston Martin's putting two ex-Ferrari engine guys onto their exploratory F1 engine program is a good sign. Their enthusiasm for the general outlines of the proposed engine spec will also be a good counterweight to the whining from Mercedes and Ferrari.

Williams are in a tough spot. Absent his father's cash, I can't see Stroll's getting another year, but they're stuck with him. I have my doubts about all of the drivers they were said to be considering to pair with him. As it is, it looks like they'll have two question marks in their cars next year.

I'm ambivalent about Kubica. Really want him to do well, but have my doubts based mostly on the amount of time he's been out of racing.

It would appear that Mercedes have cut Wehrlein loose. A year in the Williams against a known entity would have been good to establish his level which almost certainly would be faster and more consistent than the cash cow.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New logo and (more importantly) the entire brand system are a solid step up from the current logo and the half-assed whatever that FOM have been doing.

You know it sucks. You're ******* doing this on purpose to disagree. I know you are.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Bottas doesn't really do the business next year, I think Ocon (assuming similar performance to this year) will replace him.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Hamilton doesn't re-up, I think Ricciardo is a lock for Mercedes. If he doesn't, though, I'm not sure Mercedes want that headache again. It would be great to see the two of them go head-to-head.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way Hamilton and Mercedes don't extend. He just won another WDC and Bottas isn't winning that against Vettel. Hamilton is going to turn down the likely £40M+ a year contract.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If Bottas doesn't really do the business next year, I think Ocon (assuming similar performance to this year) will replace him.

It would be a mistake. Ocon is not the future of Mercedes, neither is Wherlein. Or Bottas.

There seems to be a huge gulf in up and coming talent. What is going on here? This is dysfunction.

Other than Max, who else has the chops save for Ricci? The grid seems loaded with average. Antonio Felix da Costa was robbed of an F1 seat because of Torpedo Man, and it seems like Felix Rosenquist was as well.

My hope is Ross Brawn takes on an oversized influence because he can solve this. We need the best drivers, and these aren't the best drivers.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If Hamilton doesn't re-up, I think Ricciardo is a lock for Mercedes. If he doesn't, though, I'm not sure Mercedes want that headache again. It would be great to see the two of them go head-to-head.

Hamilton - Ricci

We need ultra competitive intra team battles to make the sport fun. Outlaw driver status provisions in contracts. Team orders, fine, but don't allow it to be per-determined.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're the only person I've encountered who doesn't think that Ocon is promising. Of course, you could be right, but a whole lot of knowledgeable people would have to be wrong.

Ultracompetitive intra-team battles only work when the team is dominant. If they aren't then you end up with a constructor's championship and lose the more valued driver championship. If Hamilton and Bottas had split the wins evenly, Vettel would be champion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads