• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo goes skiing. Sartorial disaster?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, the scarf was stupid cheap. After promo code, $20 at Sierra Trading Post!

I have the same scarf, I find myself wearing the other side more often (brown/cream, no blue)

I love it since it doesn't get caught on my facial hair like all my other scarves do, holds up really well for recycled wool.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Surprised this wasnt commented on earlier. Absolute truth. Love me a snow bunny :inlove:

also, the right size and shape boobie can look quite fetching under a turtleneck or snowflake sweater, if it is tight enough.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Added: ... Johnston's of Elgin merino wool scarf.

Skip the scarf. After a run or two you will most likely be looking to vent heat, not stay warm. The scarf is going to get very sweaty. Ditto for the OCBD/sweater you mentioned earlier. I suggest athletic wear under the jacket, mostly because whatever you wear underneath will get nasty.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same scarf, I find myself wearing the other side more often (brown/cream, no blue)
I love it since it doesn't get caught on my facial hair like all my other scarves do, holds up really well for recycled wool.

Use the scarf in town, not on the slopes. If it's cold enough for a scarf while skiing, get a neck gaiter.

Return that ridiculous teal helmet for a grey or black. The gloves are out there far enough, the helmet is over the top. You are starting to look like an Easter Egg.

Last edited:

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

Use the scarf in town, not on the slopes. If it's cold enough for a scarf while skiing, get a neck gaiter.
Return that ridiculous teal helmet for a grey or black. The gloves are out there far enough, the helmet is over the top. You are starting to look like an Easter Egg.

Agreed

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will do as suggested with the scarf--but am committed to the helmet. Love it.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

also, the right size and shape boobie can look quite fetching under a turtleneck or snowflake sweater, if it is tight enough.

I must admit, I dont mind seeing the ladies fall. Especially the boarders. When they bend over, it's crack city. I'm taking the day off to tomorrow to board at Northstar. About ******* time. Finally get to put the season pass to use

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like Northstar but ***** is king.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Colorado and ski Vail regularly.
As far as your fit, you did well. The uber-coordinated outfits will get you treated like a Californian, or worse, a Texan.:)
Get a helmet and goggles and you won't have to worry about the sunglasses. None of us wore helmets as kids, but 90% of the people out there wear them now. Not just for falls, but crashing into trees, ski hitting you after a crash, some idiot beginner snowboarder crashing into you (most likely). Plus they are the best at keeping you warm.
Don't wear any cotton. Polypro base layer, fleece or wool mid layer under your shell, depending on conditions. Get ski socks.
Get a lesson the first day at least.

Californians and Texans make up probably more than half of the tourist revenue and property taxes in Colorado :)

Don't agree on the cotton thing. I'm most comfy in a cotton waffle-knit. Poly/synthetics doesnt feel any better.

Warmth is a personal thing. I hope as an easterner he's got some cold tolerance. As a former Cali and Texan resident, my get up was long sleeve base, fleece vest, and a standard shell. Kept me perfectly warm for the 2 seasons skiing Summit Co as a resident.

Ski socks and other "activity-specific" socks are quite superfluous. Any pair of wool socks will do....thickness dependant on one's footwear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads