• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DSC_4116.jpg

nice shirt.

-LR

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy Rover shirt in a navy stripe BD. I like the fit and finish work of these shirts very much. I'm actually surprised they don't get more discussion on SF.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Guy Rover shirt in a navy stripe BD. I like the fit and finish work of these shirts very much. I'm actually surprised they don't get more discussion on SF.

There was a heated thread when a bunch of them appeared on Yoox and knowledgeable Rover fans were quick to point out that those were not up to the normal standards. It kind of ruined the brand in my mind - maybe unfairly, but I can't look at their price now and not think about it. I guess that's what people mean when they talk about "brand dilution".

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting about Yoox. The reality is that many brands will make a lesser grade product these days to sell on Gilt and to close-out and overstock retailers. It happens all the time. Most of the product in a Marshall's or TJ Maxx is manufactured specifically for them at very low prices. So brands cut corners.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting about Yoox. The reality is that many brands will make a lesser grade product these days to sell on Gilt and to close-out and overstock retailers. It happens all the time. Most of the product in a Marshall's or TJ Maxx is manufactured specifically for them at very low prices. So brands cut corners.

Yep, I get it. The tone of the thread (as I recall) was that they were clearly inferior - not just in subtleties, but in the big stuff: material, fit, etc. - and were being passed off as "the real thing". Maybe more importantly, a number of Rover enthusiasts were really surprised by it - never having seen a lesser make "in the wild".

I don't know if that's contributed to the lack of banter about them, but it certainly poured cold water on any expectations I might have had.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual shirts:

Dandylife The Vintage Shirt by Barba
JWeDY.jpg

Nice soft collar
T5ySc.jpg

MoP button with details
oOhDQ.jpg

Salvatore Piccolo
17HLV.jpg

bjbBl.jpg

Handsewn button holes and nice substantial-but-not-too-thick MoP buttons
PV6pT.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - very soft too!

I'm a little undecided on the flowery Barba - yay or nay?

:confused:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear it

But then again, I wouldn't wear that chambray either

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't wear it
But then again, I wouldn't wear that chambray either

would you wear the simmon-goddot chambray?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads