• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flirting with or dating a co worker.

Jl29

Reaction score
Who is doing it currently or has done it, and how did it work out for you? Do you think it is a taboo thing to do, especially if they are a lot younger than you? Or cool, who cares?

What about being in a relationship or already in love and having an emotional affair with a co worker? Is an emotional affair cheating to you?

Looking for others thoughts on this subject.

div25sec9

Reaction score
I'd say proceed with extreme caution if at all....if things don't work out, you can have a very awkward workplace environment or even very nasty. You'll be playing with fire, so you might get burned. You also have to think what your coworkers, superiors, and clients would think as well.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen it work out terribly. I've also met people who have met, dated, and gotten (and stayed) married at the office. It helps if it is a big organization and you don't work directly or anywhere near each other. If you pursue it, keep all the ups and downs outside the work place. Gossip (good and bad) travels fast and coworkers will be caught in your **** even when they don't want to.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you flirt, everyone around you can tell. People are more obvious about workplace flirting than they give themselves credit for.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dated the assistant manager of a Kay Jewelers where I worked during college. She was 4-5 years my senior and had dropped out of college after a year. Very attractive though; I enjoyed watching guys ogle her when she sold jewelry to them and their sig others. She was actually in a long term relationship in which she was very unhappy (they lived about 45 minutes outside of town...she had a long commute).

An all together awkward and fulfilling experience. I definitely got preferential treatment. After about 5 months, it informally ended when she got transferred to her own store; I think we both knew it wasn't going much of anywhere.

Everyone (but the manager) in the store knew that we were involved (the manager wasn't the brightest bulb in the box...she thought that the verb of "documentation" was "documentate"). I think part of the manager's ignorance was the age difference. I think an even bigger part of it was that I was clearly a nerd who loved talking about economics and history and studied during the slower hours and the AM was sort of a stereotypical blonde. In my manager's mind, there was no way that was ever happening--zero overlapping interests. The AM was also a bit white trash in an endearing sort of way.

Everyone around our store knew as well (we were in a strip mall, so generally everyone went to the same restaurants).

As someone said earlier, it's a bad idea if you want to stay in the company. But if you are young and it's a part time job, absolutely go for it. Just don't go to hard (I imagine it'd make things really awkward if you swing for the bleachers and miss).

Last edited:

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who is doing it currently or has done it, and how did it work out for you? Do you think it is a taboo thing to do, especially if they are a lot younger than you? Or cool, who cares?

What about being in a relationship or already in love and having an emotional affair with a co worker? Is an emotional affair cheating to you?

Looking for others thoughts on this subject.

FWBs at the office can be great stress relief. Rough day? Late nite? Weekends? No problem. You both can sneak off somewhere, get it on, get off and get back to work. Getting laid on the main conference room table with that nice view is seriously underrated. Its hard to explain the large box of Trojans in your office drawer.... but no glove no love.

This of course ignores that whole potential sexual harassment thing which can kinda be a downer.

Also, what is an emotional affair? BBBJTCWS/DATY et al but no PIV?

In the end, we really need to see a pict and measurements to give you better advise about the situation.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It becomes difficult on your co-workers the moment the two of you have discussions or make decisions that effect you and others. Everyone will know you are dating or having a fling. The assumption is that there is preferred treatment no matter how hard you try and avoid it. At the same time a huge percentage of people meet their spouse at work. So, are you or your future girlfriend willing to change jobs, locations or departments to avoid problems. If not, then date elsewhere.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... and never go personal in your emails, and never ever take pics of vids of your private moments, just in case.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's nothing serious, I don't see the problem. And emotional affairs aren't cheating.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
WTF is an "emotional affair"?

I work for a large software company with a relatively young workforce. There is an amazing amount of flirting and hooking up, and a surprising number of marriages.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do not **** where you eat. End of story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads