• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit is too "gay"

smithsj

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

musick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
I just recently got my first graphic tees (I'm only just starting to actually care about the clothes I wear) and one of my close female friends said the graphic tee looked good but the fit was in "gay" territory. By that she meant that it seemed like the fit was too tight and form fitting for a straight guy to wear. Her boyfriend echoed this same sentiment (her bf is not what you would call fashionable for background info)...

Im not a fan of graphic tees, but the fit looks good and I dont understand how "fit" could be "gay.

You are gay if you take the cock in any of your holes. Has nothing to do with tees.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just recently got my first graphic tees (I'm only just starting to actually care about the clothes I wear) and one of my close female friends said the graphic tee looked good but the fit was in "gay" territory. By that she meant that it seemed like the fit was too tight and form fitting for a straight guy to wear. Her boyfriend echoed this same sentiment (her bf is not what you would call fashionable for background info).

She has a point since when I thought about it, the line between "cut" and "gay" seems to be a thin one or at least that's what I've heard.

I attached a picture of myself wearing the shirt in question. Nevermind that the graphic tee is from Express. I had to start somewhere so I picked up 4 shirts on the cheap from there.

I normally wear mediums and larges in general but when I was trying on these shirts at Express, medium fit well but it seemed a bit loose and baggy around my midsection as though I was trying to cover something up. Small surprisingly felt like the best fit and looked it too IMO. I work out and have a six-pack so I don't feel the need to hide my midsection; I've been hiding it for all these years under poorly fitting t-shirts, etc.

So what do you guys think?
Is it indeed a bit on the "gay" side?

Background on my friend
she lives in Philadelphia, which as you guys may or may not know has a very strong gay neighborhood. She's fashionable in an understated way (aka her clothes look good but they don't scream look at me).

Disclaimer: Just in case someone is out there looking to pick a fight and here is the standard "gay" disclaimer. I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay (one of my suitemates in college was gay), I just don't want to be throwing out gay vibes with my clothes since I'm straight.

**** says what???

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i can't say cuz i'm not your body type, but if I didn't already have a billion white t-shirts I would buy some more uniqlo white t-shirts.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so would you guys agree with this order of things: 1) get some basic non-design fitted but not as tight as that tees 2) move onto graphic tees with simple designs 3) once i'm more comfortable and able to pick out a graphic tee design that isn't atrocious, move onto graphic tees with more complicated designs?
1 and 2 are good. I wouldn't go too much looser than that tee though. The idea is complicated designs are bad.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a tad small but it still works.
wink.gif

bubbleboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Sometimes you just have to help out with the Freudian slips.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by ter1413
**** says what???

did you guys ask your parents if you're allowed to come on this site? You should know this site is for grown ups.

To everyone else, thanks for the helpful tips.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you guys ask your parents if you're allowed to come on this site? You should know this site is for grown ups.

To everyone else, thanks for the helpful tips.

When the thread title is "fit is too gay" it's a bit hard to play the maturity card.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by z7f9q
When the thread title is "fit is too gay" it's a bit hard to play the maturity card.

+1....
Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way..."Bubbleboys!"

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Sometimes you just have to help out with the Freudian slips.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by ter1413
+1....
Sorry I rubbed you the wrong way..."Bubbleboys!"

Snap! Well this was quite a pile-up.

Graphic tees, imo, should be worn because you like them or you have some association with the image, not as a strategic wardrobe decision which includes analyzing if they're 'gay'. If you have any doubts, don't do it.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit is not bad, I mean you can wear a fitted T if you have the body for it, just not spandex tight.

The shirt itself is really bad though, I mean guido douchebag bad, Graphic T's are out imho, go plain instead, and if you insisit on graphics try something more towards threadless graphics rather than ed hardy, fake tatto, GNR type crap, those are just too loud.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads