• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit advice on sweater?

jaaz16

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m deciding between two sizes of this De Bonne Facture sweater and I’d appreciate any feedback on which one works best. Size L is on the left, M is on right (the first collage is the only one I might have mixed up, but I’m 90% sure I got it right). Laying the sweaters on top of each other, the differences are length, sleeve length, and a touch more room in the waist and, to a lesser extent, chest.

(Also, tagging @dieworkwear because I always value his input)

E6B06C47-2E85-4D9D-98C8-C494975553E8.jpeg 5AF81962-6A6D-4BF4-A9C9-8D808D14EEF3.jpeg 42A3AD8F-D872-4F78-AFA4-1FD9270E4A83.jpeg 86C0433E-9195-44F7-88A7-2EB5D1523DE0.jpeg
1DB3D6EB-B91A-46B3-AD46-E8BE82753B1A.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both look nice to me. Seems very similar to the other question someone on here asked last week or so. I think if you want a more classic fit, then L is better. If you want something more modern and youthful-looking, then I would do M. I don't think either size is a "bad fit."

If I were in your position, I would keep the L. But M looks a little tidier and more youthful.

If you plan on wearing this under a coat, I imagine it doesn't matter that much. If you have a bit of a belly, sit down in the sweater and see which looks more flattering. Sometimes trim sweaters reveal a bit of paunch when the wearer sits down, but if you have a very flat stomach this is less of a concern.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to pick out which is the L and which the M by those pictures alone. Maybe the differences are more obvious in person. IME, De Bonne Facture fits pretty TTS and from the examples I've tried on or seen, they seem to be pretty thoughtful about the intended fit of each of their pieces. I'd go by which feels more comfortable, or else your typical size if you're really unsure.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Both look nice to me. Seems very similar to the other question someone on here asked last week or so. I think if you want a more classic fit, then L is better. If you want something more modern and youthful-looking, then I would do M. I don't think either size is a "bad fit."

If I were in your position, I would keep the L. But M looks a little tidier and more youthful.

If you plan on wearing this under a coat, I imagine it doesn't matter that much. If you have a bit of a belly, sit down in the sweater and see which looks more flattering. Sometimes trim sweaters reveal a bit of paunch when the wearer sits down, but if you have a very flat stomach this is less of a concern.
I wouldn't be able to pick out which is the L and which the M by those pictures alone. Maybe the differences are more obvious in person. IME, De Bonne Facture fits pretty TTS and from the examples I've tried on or seen, they seem to be pretty thoughtful about the intended fit of each of their pieces. I'd go by which feels more comfortable, or else your typical size if you're really unsure.

Thanks. Yes, the two sizes are quite similar--so much so that I found myself having to take a couple rounds of pictures because I forgot which one I was wearing in which picture. And yes Derek: I saw that thread and bought the L after reading the discussion. I did the sitting test and even though I don't have a flat stomach, I found the L ironically made my stomach look worse because the extra inch or so of fabric bunched up right at my belly, giving the illusion of a bigger gut. The weave is pretty thick and dense so I found, surprisingly, the trimmer one seemed to hide my stomach more because the sweater held its shape and didn't cling to every curve. I have an SNS Herning sweater that does something similar. By contrast, thinner merino sweaters or cotton sweaters cling to everything just like you said and...yeah, not great.

Probably too much information in response, so tl;dr: thanks for your feedback guys!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads