first watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoesies, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Senior member

does anyone know of a few good reputable websites where they sell used watches? I know there are tons of fake watches out there so I want to make sure what I'm buying is real. Can someone post a few links?

2. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Although I haven't purchased from www.watchcat.com , I've heard good things about them. You can get put on a mailing list to know when they get new (used) watches in stock. They don't sell a ton, but I like what I've seen.

3. mrmaps

mrmaps Member

4. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

What about this watch, Citizen Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A?

I saw it in person and absolutely loved the way it looked on my wrist! Plus its an eco-drive, sweet

5. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

6. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

anyone have this watch, or know of its reliability/credability?

7. KBW

KBW Senior member

I have a very very similar citizen. Mine is blue with a metal band but I've had it for ~4 years and had zero problems. Doesn't get very much wrist time anymore now that I've acquired many more in the last 4 years but this is one of the watches that started my watch addiction.

8. KBW

KBW Senior member

Here's the pic and it seems to be the a variation of the exact watch. Forgive me for the mono on the cuff it is a very old shirt (one of the first I ever had made) and back then I thought it was "cool" I guess. Also the pic is in crappy light with my iPhone so it looks terrible and the watch isn't nearly as beaten up as it looks in the pic.

[​IMG]

9. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

I bought this one today >

only problem is that I have no idea how to set it up! lol

Anyone help me?

[​IMG]

10. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

there are how-to videos on the citizen website that I am trying to follow, but my watch does not seem to perform all of the steps? is there something wrong with it?

I noticed the second hand is jumping 2 at a time, doesnt this mean the battery is low? would this attribute to why the settings are not working for me, or is it more likely that the watch is defective?

11. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

there are how-to videos on the citizen website that I am trying to follow, but my watch does not seem to perform all of the steps? is there something wrong with it?

I noticed the second hand is jumping 2 at a time, doesnt this mean the battery is low? would this attribute to why the settings are not working for me, or is it more likely that the watch is defective?

Yes, when the second hand skips twice that is the low battery indicator. There are so many variations, make sure yours is the one with all the functions you're looking at. They can be tricky to set, so be patient.

12. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

I tried the same watch with a metal band and it worked when I held the minute repeater button, however mine does not. For now, i will attribute it to a low charge, but it also seems that I cant set the smaller inside dials using the instructions online. I push the buttons but the needles do not move. The all reset/0 positioning works (which is the first step), and then it seems everything after doesn not

13. doctorj!

doctorj! Senior member

I find Movado to be very classy yet affordable. Overstock.com has some pretty good deals.

14. shoesies

shoesies Senior member

I'm diggin this watch now that it's all set up! The clasp is quite nice, will prevent me from ruining the leather band too quickly.

Looking for my next purchase to go with different outfits, preferably a metal band or a cognac color leather strap.

[​IMG]

15. TBSDSpaniard

TBSDSpaniard Senior member

shoesis - the watch you bought is a great one....it should get you on a similar road that brought you to this forum....having an appreciation for the fine clothing's craftsmanship and durability, you might leap into the world of horology. For your second watch I would wait...learn, and buy something that you will appreciate and will most likely survive you. To start you on your quest - either to learn, or to get that quick fix and buy your second watch I direct you to http://www.timezone.com/

best regards,

Max