• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time visiting NYC. Food planned but any edits?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am visiting New York City for the first time next week. I am primarily going for an event at the UN but that's just one day. The rest of the time will be to eat. Of course I will check out touristy stuff and sites but I'll play those by ear. Here's where I plan on eating. Does anyone have any major edits or recommendations against any of these places? If so, please suggest alternatives. For example: Instead of eating at A, which has gone downhill since they changed the FOH manager, consider B.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Modern (The)
Bouley
Eleven Madison Park
Marea
Corton
Aldea
Momofuku Ssam
Degustation
Jean Georges

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am visiting New York City for the first time next week. I am primarily going for an event at the UN but that's just one day. The rest of the time will be to eat. Of course I will check out touristy stuff and sites but I'll play those by ear. Here's where I plan on eating. Does anyone have any major edits or recommendations against any of these places? If so, please suggest alternatives. For example: Instead of eating at A, which has gone downhill since they changed the FOH manager, consider B.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Modern (The)
Bouley
Eleven Madison Park
Marea
Corton
Aldea
Momofuku Ssam
Degustation
Jean Georges

Mmm...I was kind of underwhelmed by the ssam at momofuku ssam. Not sure how the other stuff is. I don't think Chang is that great with traditional Korean food...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of very like-minded cuisines in your list (new american cuisine). Are you not tempted to try an Italian like Barbuto, Babbo, Artusi... or a good Japanese (sushi or not) ? Just to combo break a little, I guess...?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
do you have a reservation for all of these places already? (I'm assuming yes since your trip is next week)

gnowad

Reaction score
From the look of your list, only Degustation and Momofuku do not fit into the mold of "fine dining" if that is what you're looking for. Degustation is an excellent wine bar with a very good menu; Jewel Bako is also right next door (it and Degustation are connected) and has some tasty sushi. I've never been to Ssam Bar but it's more casual than the other places you've listed.

My one recommendation is if you go to The Modern, try sitting at the bar. Their main dining room does not add any value in terms of ambiance and you will get the same menu as the bar.

photoguy

Reaction score
With the caveat that I haven't been since the move, I'm not a big fan of Bouley, and people in my circle are generally with me on that (good but not amazing food, frequently clueless service, etc.).

I'm also not a big fan of David Chang's restaurants, but I don't have a lot of company there, so you may want to ignore that.

Degustation is good, but IMO somewhat overrated - it is more of a "nice on a budget" option, which doesn't seem to be your situation. For example, this is a place I often recommend to friends in grad school for special occasions. I'm not saying it is bad mind you - it is quite good - but it is not in the same league as most of the others you have chosen.

Aldea has very good food; the vibe is more casual than most of the places on your list and it can get loud. But I wouldn't want to discourage you from going. Get the sea urchin toast for sure.

You're going to have a hard time going wrong with any of your other selections, based on my taste and experiences. BTW, I would only consider The Modern and possibly EMP to be "New American"-ish, and Marea is top-notch Italian in my book.

Other places I would consider include Anissa and Gramercy Tavern, with the caveat that it has been a couple years since my last trip to the latter.

Those are my opinions, with which posters below will no doubt vehemently disagree! You're in for some good meals regardless.

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnowad
My one recommendation is if you go to The Modern, try sitting at the bar. Their main dining room does not add any value in terms of ambiance and you will get the same menu as the bar.

That's not true - The Modern and The Modern Bar Room share a kitchen, but they are distinct restaurants with different menus. I like the Modern Bar Room a lot for lunch when it is not so crowded. At dinner I find it very cramped and too loud - the acoustics are awful there.

gnowad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by photoguy
That's not true - The Modern and The Modern Bar Room share a kitchen, but they are distinct restaurants with different menus. I like the Modern Bar Room a lot for lunch when it is not so crowded. At dinner I find it very cramped and too loud - the acoustics are awful there.

Ah my mistake. I found the bar menu quite extensive for what it was though, agree on the terrible acoustics.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I would only consider The Modern and possibly EMP to be "New American"-ish
not Corton?

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I might swap Le Bernardin in and swap out Eleven Madison Park.

Not meaning to threadjack, but have you been to EMP since its recent reinvention? I haven't, but have heard good things. In its prior form I thought it was extremely good but a tad overrated. It was being put in the same class as the best three or four restaurants in the city, and I thought it was clearly a step behind. Not a big step, but a discernible step.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I have some time to do some tweaks. They would likely be in the form of cancelling a reservation and going to a more casual place. With a week before my trip, I doubt I could easily add in any high-end places. For example Le Bernadin is probably already booked.

Originally Posted by gdl203
A lot of very like-minded cuisines in your list (new american cuisine). Are you not tempted to try an Italian like Barbuto, Babbo, Artusi... or a good Japanese (sushi or not) ? Just to combo break a little, I guess...?

I may eliminate one or two of the casual spots (Ssam, Degustation) and do a Japanese izakya place or Ramen.

Originally Posted by gomestar
do you have a reservation for all of these places already? (I'm assuming yes since your trip is next week)

Yes, reservations for all except those that don't really need it or don't take them.

Originally Posted by gnowad
From the look of your list, only Degustation and Momofuku do not fit into the mold of "fine dining" if that is what you're looking for. Degustation is an excellent wine bar with a very good menu; Jewel Bako is also right next door (it and Degustation are connected) and has some tasty sushi. I've never been to Ssam Bar but it's more casual than the other places you've listed.

I am definitely aiming at fine dining but to be honest, this is going to be a marathon session for me. I've done plenty of multi hour meals but not back to back to back, etc. TBH, the reason Degustation and Momofuku are on there are to sort of let me relax a bit (in both the waistline and the wallet).

With the caveat that I haven't been since the move, I'm not a big fan of Bouley, and people in my circle are generally with me on that (good but not amazing food, frequently clueless service, etc.).

I'm also not a big fan of David Chang's restaurants, but I don't have a lot of company there, so you may want to ignore that.

Degustation is good, but IMO somewhat overrated - it is more of a "nice on a budget" option, which doesn't seem to be your situation. For example, this is a place I often recommend to friends in grad school for special occasions. I'm not saying it is bad mind you - it is quite good - but it is not in the same league as most of the others you have chosen.

Aldea has very good food; the vibe is more casual than most of the places on your list and it can get loud. But I wouldn't want to discourage you from going. Get the sea urchin toast for sure.

I value your opinions. Like I said, it's fine that some of the places aren't as "high-end". The irony when comparing places like Degustation to EMP is the former is considered "cheap" even though it's going to be over a $50 meal, which in any other situation, most would consider a "special occasion" meal. I know I would.

Chang - I originally paned on Ko but due to all the mixed reviews, I nixed it for the much cheaper and casual Ssam. To be honest, I just want pork belly buns.

Aldea - definitely getting the uni toast.

Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I might swap Le Bernardin in and swap out Eleven Madison Park.

Originally had Le Bernadin but it seems to have a reputation of being awesome but very dated. It seems too old-school for me, which I am not against really, but I wanted something different. And EMP is arguably the star of NYC right now.

photoguy

Reaction score
Izakaya: Riki, not too far from the UN.
Somewhat more upscale izakaya-ish option: Aburiya Kinnosuke, also not too far from the UN.

If it is your first trip here, grab a decent slice of pizza for lunch at least one day.

Edit to add: Just FYI, Le Bernardin often doesn't need to be booked far in advance.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go japanese - ippudo really does have awesome ramen - you just cant' get stuff like that in Chicago.

+1 on swapping in Le Bernardin ; Also, you might swap Momofoku Ma Peche for Saam - I actually liked it a lot and it's easy as hell to get in.

I've never been to either, but if I were going to one or the other, I'd be leaning toward Daniel over Jean Jorges right now - personal preference.

Either way, it looks like you have a great list picked out - I hope you plan to do a lot of walking !!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads