• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First thread post. Grad school interview prep.

Norriss

Reaction score
Though I've followed @dieworkwear and putthison for over a decade, I've yet to participate in a forum and have just created this account hoping to enlist support as I begin building my professional wardrobe beyond a navy jacket or two.

I am considering the following suits and would like feedback on the appropriateness of fabric, details, etc. I hope to be interviewing with a small liberal arts college and intend to soften my appearance from the traditional formal business interview ensemble while maintaining appropriateness. I'd like to appear comfortable, confident, and approachable, so I've opted for softer shouldered suits that aren't too slim. (Ideally, I think I prefer some of the American details such as patch pockets and a center vent, but those seem to be only available with more narrow lapels and padded shoulders.) Please share your thoughts.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/grey-birdseye-s-130-wool-suit.html
https://thearmoury.com/products/ring-jacket-wool-nailhead-amj03-suit?variant=1444538646543
https://therake.com/ring-jacket-dark-grey-calm-twist-wool-suit.html

Thank you for your feedback.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different fields have very different dress codes. Geography and the type of institution can matter, too. These days, most candidates at my suburban and affluent campus (it's well known and in a major metro area) give job talks in suits, but it is increasingly acceptable to wear a sport coat--and a tie is not mandatory outside of the most conservative environments (e.g. a business program). Overall, wear something that you feel comfortable and that doesn't stand out too much. Remember that most professors still don't dress very well.

The most important part of interviewing is the sense of connection and attention people feel when they spend time with you.

Norriss

Reaction score
Different fields have very different dress codes. Geography and the type of institution can matter, too. These days, most candidates at my suburban and affluent campus (it's well known and in a major metro area) give job talks in suits, but it is increasingly acceptable to wear a sport coat--and a tie is not mandatory outside of the most conservative environments (e.g. a business program). Overall, wear something that you feel comfortable and that doesn't stand out too much. Remember that most professors still don't dress very well.

The most important part of interviewing is the sense of connection and attention people feel when they spend time with you.

Thank you for your reply. My undergraduate degree is in comparative religion, but I'm pursuing a masters at Baldwin Wallace outside Cleveland, OH to become a Physician Assistant. https://www.bw.edu/graduate/physician-assistant/

The directors I met during their info session were wearing suits with ties. With the exception of a pharmacist, the faculty for the program who aren't themselves PAs, are MDs.

Do you think a sports coat would be acceptable?

I'm trying to cover all my bases to get as much leverage as possible since I believe the acceptance rate is about 6%. Even though they may not notice the details, I'm hoping it subconsciously registers that I'm well put together (without being too fussy or stuffy).

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took you to be applying for teaching positions. From what you say in your second post, it sounds like you're trying to pursue an MA at Baldwin Wallace. Whatever's going on here, you're not really applying to a small liberal arts college. You're applying to a professional program, and you need to look like a professional. If the faculty members were wearing suits, you should, too, at your interview. That said, most PA's don't wear suits at work, so you won't be wearing them all that much.

Whatever you end up doing, as a relatively junior person, you'll pretty much always be judging what to wear from your co-workers and superiors.

And again, what counts in the interview is how you conduct yourself. Unless you're applying a fashion and design field, you don't want people paying attention to your clothes.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pick the Armory Suit for several reasons

1. I like their cut better than NMWA
2. I have similar suit in a dark brown nailhead
from Belfast/Wilkes Bashford.
The Rake suit, also from Ring jacket, is more formal
but the Armory suit has more character, IMHO.
Frankly, at the risk of being a regional snob, who lived in
the MidWest for over a decade, with any of those suits you'll
probably be the best dressed in the entire school, faculty
included, if not in the County.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're on a budget and have a little time, I suggest figuring out your size and looking through some of the B&S and thrifting threads on here to pick up a suit and have it altered. I bought a BBGF suit from someone on here for med school interviews years ago and I'm using it for residency interviews now.

I've used it a lot over the last little 4-5 years and I can tell a few places where it's starting to show its age, but they're not noticeable at all unless you're staring at the thing from a few inches away. You'll be making money as a PA soon enough. Buy something more ritzy then.

Unless you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it!

Norriss

Reaction score
I took you to be applying for teaching positions. From what you say in your second post, it sounds like you're trying to pursue an MA at Baldwin Wallace. Whatever's going on here, you're not really applying to a small liberal arts college. You're applying to a professional program, and you need to look like a professional. If the faculty members were wearing suits, you should, too, at your interview. That said, most PA's don't wear suits at work, so you won't be wearing them all that much.

Whatever you end up doing, as a relatively junior person, you'll pretty much always be judging what to wear from your co-workers and superiors.

And again, what counts in the interview is how you conduct yourself. Unless you're applying a fashion and design field, you don't want people paying attention to your clothes.

Thank you, suit it is. I'm hoping they don't notice my clothes. I'm working on covering other areas of the interview as well.

Norriss

Reaction score
I'd pick the Armory Suit for several reasons

1. I like their cut better than NMWA
2. I have similar suit in a dark brown nailhead
from Belfast/Wilkes Bashford.
The Rake suit, also from Ring jacket, is more formal
but the Armory suit has more character, IMHO.
Frankly, at the risk of being a regional snob, who lived in
the MidWest for over a decade, with any of those suits you'll
probably be the best dressed in the entire school, faculty
included, if not in the County.

Thank you. That's possibly true, but not necessarily my goal. :)

I think I'm also leaning toward the Armoury.

Norriss

Reaction score
If you're on a budget and have a little time, I suggest figuring out your size and looking through some of the B&S and thrifting threads on here to pick up a suit and have it altered. I bought a BBGF suit from someone on here for med school interviews years ago and I'm using it for residency interviews now.

I've used it a lot over the last little 4-5 years and I can tell a few places where it's starting to show its age, but they're not noticeable at all unless you're staring at the thing from a few inches away. You'll be making money as a PA soon enough. Buy something more ritzy then.

Unless you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it!

Thank you. My pockets aren't very warm, let alone burning. :)

Still getting familiar with the site, I'll see if I can find something on there. Sorry for my ignorance but can you spell out BBGF for me?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BBGF=Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. Honestly, I would wear a fairly conventional suit to school interviews--nothing flashy.
You might also look at Luxeswap on ebay. Matt, the owner, is a pillar of Styleforum. He has lots of great stuff at incredible discounts. Just check the thread for some examples.

Norriss

Reaction score
BBGF=Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. Honestly, I would wear a fairly conventional suit to school interviews--nothing flashy.
You might also look at Luxeswap on ebay. Matt, the owner, is a pillar of Styleforum. He has lots of great stuff at incredible discounts. Just check the thread for some examples.

Thank you I will look into that for sure.

Understandable. I'm still learning the language of clothes somewhat (thus my presence here). Would say that these suits are flashy?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flashy isn't quite the right word. The NoMan Eidos cut is many worlds away from the less shaped suits your interviewers will almost certainly be wearing. I'm not saying that you have to dress ultra-conservatively, but I would say that you don't want to be more than a few worlds away from the interviewers. As you say, there's a language of clothes. Yours should say something like "I am a serious, responsible person and will work hard to make a place for myself in your professional world. I promise you won't be disappointed in me."

By the way, do you have decent dress shoes? If you don't, prepare to spend a noticeable chunk of your budget on a good pair of shoes. As a rule, a well fitting suit at whatever quality level + good, well-shined shoes + nice tie and a white pocket square = a good look for interviews.

Norriss

Reaction score
Flashy isn't quite the right word. The NoMan Eidos cut is many worlds away from the less shaped suits your interviewers will almost certainly be wearing. I'm not saying that you have to dress ultra-conservatively, but I would say that you don't want to be more than a few worlds away from the interviewers. As you say, there's a language of clothes. Yours should say something like "I am a serious, responsible person and will work hard to make a place for myself in your professional world. I promise you won't be disappointed in me."

By the way, do you have decent dress shoes? If you don't, prepare to spend a noticeable chunk of your budget on a good pair of shoes. As a rule, a well fitting suit at whatever quality level + good, well-shined shoes + nice tie and a white pocket square = a good look for interviews.

I have a pair of black Allen Edmonds cap-toe oxfords (they were purchased used when I thought I was half a size smaller). I was considering going with a brown leather blucher.

I think the pocket square would put me in the worlds apart zone in this region, but I have a small though decent Drake's tie collection (each scored on sale) from which I'd likely choose my solid navy silk grenadine.

What do you think about a suit like the one from Armoury? I actually found the Rake one used through Grailed but am nervous about being ripped off.

Norriss

Reaction score
I'll be selling a pretty nice banjo and a decent DSLR camera with lenses and the money from those is what I'll be working with here.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Armoury suit as an interview option. Gray and navy are your best friends. Since being a student will likely crimp your clothes budget for the foreseeable future, go for a versatile three season-ish cloth.
So sorry to heat about the too-small shoes. That's always frustrating. Sounds like you have the tie game down. You should definitely check out the ties at Luxeswap. There are some amazing deals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads