• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Suit for work

doodledoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New member here. I need a suit for work. I am a lawyer and will be working in Los Angeles, California. I currently live in the Torrance, California area.

Price range: $500 (jacket and pants (maybe even 2 pairs of pants). Would consider two suits for around $800 if possible.

Purpose of suit: 1) Work. I plan on wearing a suit everyday. I want one that will last me a few years. If this isn't possible, it should last at least 1 year. 2) Networking. I want to also be able to use this suit for networking events/parties (not a wedding or anything fancy).

Look I want: Professional looking. I want something fitted, but not skin tight. I have a mesomorph body.

Color: A professional looking color (I would say charcoal or navy/dark blue). Solid color (however, do you recommend stripes or anything else?).

Canvas/Fused: I don't want fused, but given $500, I guess I would have to accept it. I would first prefer full canvas, then half canvas, then fused.

When I want it. I want to wear it in a week. If not possible, within a month.

My body type: 5'9'' 165 lb. I have somewhat broad shoulders. I currently can't have someone measure my shoulders. Back in May, I was measured by Men's Wearhouse for a wedding suit. Here is what my measurer wrote down for my measurements (I have gained 5-10 lbs since):

Coat - Chest: 36.5; Overarm: 47; Sleeve 16.5

Pant - Waist: 30.5 (definitely not the case anymore, probably a 32); Hip: 37; Outseam: 39.5

Shirt - Neck: 15.5; Sleeve: 33

Coat: 40R; Pant: 31R; Shirt: 15/33 FTD; Vest: MED.

I prefer to buy in a store. I don't want to buy online because I am not sure if it will fit. First, I prefer to buy in the Torrance area, but I am also willing to buy in the LA area as I'll be in that area over the weekend.

Suit history: All suits that I have ever worn were lent to me from my dad. I always wore his suits and he was and still is a 40R. However, all of his suits are 10-30 years old (3 button and not fitted to me). I never bought my own because 1) I never had a real job (I went from undergrad to law school, never had a desk job longer than 3 months); and 2) if I did need a suit for a short period of time, I could just wear my dad's. I don't want to do this anymore because his suits are not fitted and are supposedly super 120 or better quality and are not meant to be worn everyday.

If you need anymore details, let me know and I'll be happy to provide them.

AgeofTheGeek

Reaction score
Im confused. Do you want to buy a full suit or a matching jacket and pants? The two pairs of pants line confuse me.

Anyway:

$500 is tough, especially considering the fact that you're a lawyer. Lawyers must not make what they used to if the budget is 500
rolleyes.gif
. Just a joke..kind of.

If you're willing to spend $800 on two suits, or whatever weird combination of pants and jackets you described, I'd suggest purchasing 1 higher quality suit instead. I think the difference in quality for what you can get with 800 dollars compared to what you can get for 500 dollars is pretty big.

Traditional <$1000 suit brands will be your go to for now: Brooks Brothers, Suit Supply, Joseph Abboud, Nordstrom Rack. If you're really caught up on the two suits for 800 idea, you could even consider HB. Their sale right now has some decent quality suits (relative to similar priced options at Macy's) for 350 - 400. If you purchase tomorrow you should be able to get the suit ready to wear with all needed alterations in about a week or so.

You're not going to be looking at anything too amazing right now. Best of luck.

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
Im confused. Do you want to buy a full suit or a matching jacket and pants? The two pairs of pants line confuse me.

Anyway:

$500 is tough, especially considering the fact that you're a lawyer. Lawyers must make what they used to if the budget is 500
rolleyes.gif
. Just a joke..kind of.

If you're willing to spend $800 on two suits, or whatever weird combination of pants and jackets you described, I'd suggest purchasing 1 higher quality suit instead. I think the difference in quality for what you can get with 800 dollars compared to what you can get for 500 dollars is pretty big.

Traditional <$1000 suit brands will be your go to for now: Brooks Brothers, Suit Supply, Joseph Abboud, Nordstrom Rack. If you're really caught up on the two suits for 800 idea, you could even consider HB. Their sale right now has some decent quality suits (relative to similar priced options at Macy's) for 350 - 400. If you purchase tomorrow you should be able to get the suit ready to wear with all needed alterations in about a week or so.

You're not going to be looking at anything too amazing right now. Best of luck.

I'm looking for a full suit. However, it's possible to get separates and buy two pairs of pants at places like Men's Wearhouse. Isn't it recommended that you buy two pairs of pants to extend the life of your suit?

I wish not to pay $800 for a single suit right now. I'll be doing public interest work so money is going to be extremely tight.

Brooks Brothers has a sale right now, but they do not have a suit less than $500. Honestly, I've never been to a Nordstrom Rack and I only know of one in the Century City area (which I will gladly visit). If I do go there, what should I be looking for?

What/Where should I look for Joseph Abboud?

SuitSupply doesn't exist in LA yet (it opens in the Spring). As with buying online at SuitSupply, I need to try it on first. Some suits that I have tried on at stores recently feel like straight jackets because of my shoulders. However, moving up to the 42R or 42S is just way too big in the chest and too long on the body. I also wear a size 32 in Levis jeans and I swim in pants that come with a 42R/S suit (even the 34 sized pants in a 40R are a little too big).

What is HB?

Lastly, I don't need to look amazing right now. I'm making a very modest paycheck. I just need a suit that fits relatively well and doesn't suggest I'm homeless or anything.

Last edited:

P12OFIT

Reaction score
My only comment is to stick with charcoal if you plan on using the suit for events/parties as events/parties may occur at night.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Suit Supply seems to be the standard feedback at $500. I don't own one but there are plenty of well dressed guys on the board who buy a fair amount of Suit Supply. If we have a brick and mortar store here in Toronto then I'd imagine there is one in the L.A. area as well. It might be worth your time to do a quick search on this forum for that brand, there is 1 especially large thread dedicated to their product here.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Suit Supply seems to be the standard feedback at $500. I don't own one but there are plenty of well dressed guys on the board who buy a fair amount of Suit Supply. If we have a brick and mortar store here in Toronto then I'd imagine there is one in the L.A. area as well. It might be worth your time to do a quick search on this forum for that brand, there is 1 especially large thread dedicated to their product here.
There is no SuitSupply in Los Angeles yet. It opens in Spring 2015.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
This is a suit supply posted in another thread. I guess their return policy is pretty good, low risk. I don't know if it's worth a shot to you.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Bill Dlwgosh,

I prefer not to buy a suit online at first because I'm not sure how the jacket is going to fit. I went through only 10 pages of that forum and it's predominantly skinny guys wearing tailored suit. For someone my size (5'9'' 165ish lbs), I have larger shoulders and chest, but a skinnier upper and lower waist. Some 40R fit my shoulders and some don't. I don't want to take that risk online, especially when I see all these skinny dudes in that Suitsupply thread.

AgeofTheGeek

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go with either MW or Nordstrom Rack. Especially considering the Brooks Brother Sale has run dry and you're reluctant to purchase online. I understand the reluctance. A suit is sort of a thing you have to get in store if it's your first one.

HB = Hugo Boss. They're fused, but IMO a big step up from Banana Republic, JCrew (despite the canvasing), and anything you can get at Macy's, if only for the more personalized shopping and tailoring experience. The suits start at 999.99 but there is always a sale somewhere on them (Nordstrom Rack, in store, etc), and for 500 dollars you could definitely pick one up. I just purchased one in store for 350 (originally 1000).

Hugo Boss, if you opt for it, will be more fashionable than the other choices, which could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. Despite the mediocre quality, it will certainly look trendier and more "GQ" ish. I am assuming you're a younger guy, and with a more muscular looking build (judging by your weight), it could be a very nice option.

MW has Joseph Abboud, which is probably your best option regarding quality at this point.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
The main problem is if you dont know a brand and havent tried that brand first you wont be able to buy anything online, as you say, and even if you know the brand it is still risky for a suit.

I say this because unless you find in your area some kind of discount store with great discounts on a wide offer of brands you will have very limited options. There are some brands that are pretty good for quality and sometimes prices are not so bad, but I dont know if they are widely available. Maybe Cerruti, Hackett, things like that.. I saw the other day a new Hackett suit with Loro Piana fabric for just EUR 255 in a discount store near Madrid. In Spain there are also some Spanish brands where you could get a nice suit for like EUR 220 or so but I think the suit design will not last the 2-3 years you want, because the style is a bit more modern, with slimmer lapels and things like that.. not the usual very classical suit.

doodledoc

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go with either MW or Nordstrom Rack. Especially considering the Brooks Brother Sale has run dry and you're reluctant to purchase online. I understand the reluctance. A suit is sort of a thing you have to get in store if it's your first one.

HB = Hugo Boss. They're fused, but IMO a big step up from Banana Republic, JCrew (despite the canvasing), and anything you can get at Macy's, if only for the more personalized shopping and tailoring experience. The suits start at 999.99 but there is always a sale somewhere on them (Nordstrom Rack, in store, etc), and for 500 dollars you could definitely pick one up. I just purchased one in store for 350 (originally 1000).

Hugo Boss, if you opt for it, will be more fashionable than the other choices, which could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. Despite the mediocre quality, it will certainly look trendier and more "GQ" ish. I am assuming you're a younger guy, and with a more muscular looking build (judging by your weight), it could be a very nice option.

MW has Joseph Abboud, which is probably your best option regarding quality at this point.

I'm 25 and I know my body will change in the next few years. So my first suit doesn't need to be great or amazing. Regarding Nordstrom Rack, should I just look for anything in my price range beyond HB? What other companies sell suits at Nordstrom Rack that are worth looking at?

Regarding being GQish, at this point in my career, imo, it would be pretentious to dress GQish.

At MW, they have Jack Victor Suits (Jack Victor Select). I know that they are half canvassed and they have multiple sizes. You can get 2 for $800, which would fit my price range (technically, all their stuff appears to be buy one, get one free). Have you heard anything about Jack Victor Select?

The main problem is if you dont know a brand and havent tried that brand first you wont be able to buy anything online, as you say, and even if you know the brand it is still risky for a suit.

I say this because unless you find in your area some kind of discount store with great discounts on a wide offer of brands you will have very limited options. There are some brands that are pretty good for quality and sometimes prices are not so bad, but I dont know if they are widely available. Maybe Cerruti, Hackett, things like that.. I saw the other day a new Hackett suit with Loro Piana fabric for just EUR 255 in a discount store near Madrid. In Spain there are also some Spanish brands where you could get a nice suit for like EUR 220 or so but I think the suit design will not last the 2-3 years you want, because the style is a bit more modern, with slimmer lapels and things like that.. not the usual very classical suit.

I'm sure in Los Angeles, these stores do exist (I'm guessing Nordstrom Rack is one). I just don't know too much about them.

My only comment is to stick with charcoal if you plan on using the suit for events/parties as events/parties may occur at night.

What's wrong with wearing a navy suit to an event/party?

BiellaBound

Reaction score

+1 on the Rack right now they are having a clearance sale so it's 25% off the clearance price. Just picked up two 3/2 roll Gant blazers for for $270! They had a couple Canali 13000 cuts for $799 on clearance and sometimes you can get a 14000 cut if you hawk the store. Also some good boss blazers using E.Thomas, Guebello, and Ferla,usually not a fan of the fit, but they were $260 each or something. if you get a full suit and wear the top and bottom separately make sure to dry clean them both at the same time. Your going to get different wear to the fabric and it can fade differently in color. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you plan on wearing a suit every day for work, then you need at least two, and preferably three suits. Suits need to rest a day or two between wearings.

Yes, one nice suit is better than three cheap ones, but that may not be possible in your case and within your time frame. I've managed find half a dozen nice HF mainline suits at NM Last Call over the years. It took a bit of work and patience to find the right ones in my size.

Like many SF members, I'm not a big fan of Men's Warehouse or Jos Bank, but they may serve you well considering your constraints. Pick up three decent suits at one of their on-going sales -- you will have something to wear while perusing the higher end suit sales. Don't forget to include suit alterations, dress shirts, ties and shoes in your budget.

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ended up getting a Joseph Abboud suit (just 1 for now). It came with a $80 gift certificate. I'm going to use it next week (when it becomes valid) to buy another suit. After my first paycheck, I'll get more suits.

Thank you again everyone for all your help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads