• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit - drawn to the Boss.

Callum91

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

I'm looking to buy my first (first proper) suit, and I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys.

Had a few cheap suits before (Topman etc.), now i'm looking to buy a half decent one. Ive got about £400 (c.$600-$650) to throw at it and I was looking a Hugo Boss suits. From what I've read they get abit of bad press round here. I tried on one and it seemed to fit well enough (36R) if a little short on the arms.

Can't really get my head around the cuts/fits they do, they're all named so i dont know whats a slim/classic/regular etc.

Any advice?

At the end of the day im looking for a nice, slim, fitted suit, navy, ideally plain. I'm about 6ft and about 145lb, slim built.

If not a boss any other ideas?

Much Appreciated,

Callum

Scabal Fanatic

Reaction score
Hi,

If you live in Europe (currency seems European), Boss is not your first choice for sure. The Boss suits are a bit big (in the USA) and seeing your size (like mine), we always seem to wear too big in a Boss.

I'm sure you can find a better suit (for the size) in other brands. You need to go in good department stores and try a lot of suits, until you find one that fits well. You can find a lot for the price you want to pay.

They will be similar in quality and fabrics. I do not know the all the brands in the USA but I hear that Jos. A. Bank, the Men's Warehouse and Brooks Brothers are big sellers (if you are in the USA). You have web sites that also sell suits (when you know what you want more precisely).

Nice, fitted and slim are not exactly the main qualities of a Boss suit... I wanted to buy a Boss at Saks on 5th, 5 years ago... I finally went for a Burberry London (was 6,4 feet and 175 lbs in that time). Was pretty good for the $1,100 USD.

I only use that as an example that a brand is not exactly what you target first, fit, fabric and style is more important.

You may find online tailors that will make it "pretty good" for you. Another option for you
smile.gif

Hoping this helps a bit

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suitsupply or Benjamin. If you don't want one of those you can give me the 400# and I'll sew together some bed sheets and mail it to you.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you "drawn to the Boss?"...just curious.

Suitsupply or Benjamin. If you don't want one of those you can give me the 400# and I'll sew together some bed sheets and mail it to you.
lol...probably the best option.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
Why are you "drawn to the Boss?"...just curious.

lol...probably the best option.

I can understand the attraction. I'm no expert by any means, but I've been doing my homework over the past few months. I own a Boss suit and a blazer. I know they aren't made well and I (now know) that they're not a good deal for the money. However; I like the way that they look on me. I like the cut, I like the style, and I like the pattern (on the blazer anyway, suit is navy). I don't think I will ever buy another (you can find much better deals in the merchant forum here), but I don't feel bad when I'm wearing them.

Quote:

Really? I've found Boss jackets to be a much slimmer fit than most American styles. 6'4 175 is an odd build. You're very slim for your height. I'm 5'11 185 and the two Boss jackets I have have a tailored look (not too slim). Also... Jos A Bank and Men's Warehouse are really bad. BB is nice of course and, a this price pont, not a bad suggestion if you can find an 1818 (don't buy the outlet brand).

Last edited:

Lucan

Reaction score
Try Charles Tyrwhitt, they simply have Classic and Slim Fit suits so less confusion over the ranges, and they're surprisingly good quality for what looks like just another internet shirt shop. If you have an outlet nearby (Cheshire Oaks or Bicester) you can get one well within budget. You should also consider buying a size down in the Classic Fit as that can also result in a decent slim fit.

For Boss you really are paying quite a lot for the name.

Lucan

Callum91

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

Thanks for all the feedback! First of all i'd love a burberry suit, but you're staring down the barrel of $1600(£1000) there which is abit much for me im afraid.

I've had a look at that Nordstrom shop and i wish we had one in the UK!

Suitsupply came up a couple of times so I had a look there, some are nice but generally the seem abit TOO trendy for my liking. I'm looking for something very simple.

Never heard of benjamin, ill look into that. Also will BB 1818 be hard to find in the UK?

I guess I was drawn to the boss because I tried on their james/sharp and it was the first suit I've ever tried that felt 'right' on the shoulders. The trousers were like parachute pants, but as I understand they are the easiest thing to change.

At these sort of prices would I be deluding myself to think I could maybe buy a half canvassed suit?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

Zauberer

Reaction score
Hugo Boss was an ardent Nazi and a proud supplier of Nazi uniforms. He used prisoner/slave labor during the war and astonishingly his profit margins sky-rocketed. What a terrific and savvy business model. You have to admit those SS concentration camp guards were some sharp-looking bastards - the last glance of mass produced suiting excellence millions of people ever saw. I'm sure they were awed and felt greatly priveledged to be shuffled off to the gas chambers by men so finely decked out in jackets with just the right cut and fit. The silver skulls were a sartorial coup in the field of accoutrements. Makes Fu's green wallet look like something a silly person would have made.

I personally would't buy a button or a spool of thread from Boss, I prefer to take my business to the exiled tailors of the Khmer Rouge.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about a suitsupply napoli? It's not too trendy. i have a plain navy and i love it. Half canvassed.

I sympathise with your comments re. Nordstrom, I'm from Ireland and wasted a lot of time and money on junk suits before i moved to the US.

Callum91

Reaction score
On my second look, you may be right. Some of them do look very nice, and the price is spot on.

I'm Leeds based so my only issue is finding a stockist in the north, otherwise I'd have to visit London.

Te Benjamin suits, and one of the the Bn 1818, look nice too. But similarly, now I just need to find somewhere that socks them!

I have to say after talking with you guys I'm now really up off the idea of shelling oh 4-5 hindered pounds on a designer suit like a ck or a boss. So again, thank you all for the good advice!

One more question if I might, how are the BB, Benjamin's and the Napoli in the shoulders? I muh prefer the softer shoulders as supposed to the padded squared strong ones.

Thank you!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly advice you to try Chester Berrie in House of Frasers, although not fully canvassed, but their cut is very nice and uses proper durable fabrics.
Otherwise try Wizard of Ash (google it on search here) or Benjamin suits, they have good return policy so it is not big deal if it doesn't fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads