• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of black shoes?

surrender

Reaction score
Well, real pair - my ratty corrected-grain Bostonians don't count.

I'm looking for a pair of black shoes to match with grey trousers and dry or black jeans. Nothing too conservative is necessary, since my office's dress code is "business casual,"and I'd prefer something sleek since I tend to wear slim clothes. The first thing that came to mind was a pair of chelsea boots - RMW Macquaires or forum specials - but are there any other types of shoes that I should consider?

Edit: Forgot to mention, price range is $200-300.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain-toe black bluchers would fit the bill...I'm not sure what the best value is in that price range off the top of my head.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Near your range, a simple pair of black bluchers from Allen Edmonds would be a safe choice.

For example, The Rawlins:

3608.jpg

Or for a little more pizazz, the old standby balmoral, the Park Ave:

5615.jpg

Or Delray:

1208.jpg

$325

Now- looking for a bargain? This Martegani is on clearance at Franco's for $236.90 if you are a size 10 or 11.

84033m.jpg

JordanH.

Reaction score
i like Mr. Grant's choices but i'd prefer that you got a pair that is fully brogued and/ or wingtipped.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
i like Mr. Grant's choices but i'd prefer that you got a pair that is fully brogued and/ or wingtipped.

Not as versatile, IMO. If you're getting one pair of black shoes that are full brogue wingtips, they will stand out a lot more than a pair of captoes (semi-brogued or not).

I own a pair of AE Evanstons and they get the job done every time...

ALL_m_EVANSTON.jpg

The only 'limiting' quality is that it's a balmoral.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a full brogue if you are going to wear them with jeans. A shoe is only versatile if you can wear them with your clothes. Gray odd trousers will look good with a full brogue too. I don't think the park ave is the best choice for denim unless the shoe is an insanely good fit.

Also, quality black plain toe bluchers, if well cared for, can have a cop vibe to them. Is that what you want?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others here venerate Allen-Edmonds, but, to take a page from an active thread, I find them highly overrated. Something from Loake's 1880 line would be roughly equivalent in quality, but with considerably more elegant styling.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Others here venerate Allen-Edmonds, but, to take a page from an active thread, I find them highly overrated. Something from Loake's 1880 line would be roughly equivalent in quality, but with considerably more elegant styling.

I can't agree. Stylization is purely an individual aesthetic choice. But for quality, I still own my first two piars of AE's now each almost 9-10 years old, bought when that was all I had to choose from and could afford. I'm hard on shoes and these old leathers have held up brilliantly.

I've never owned Loakes- probably a great shoe- seem to be priced low... I can't address. But I see nothing "overated" about AE's... workhorses and good value for a basic collection.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I can't agree. Stylization is purely an individual aesthetic choice. But for quality, I still own my first two piars of AE's now each almost 9-10 years old, bought when that was all I had to choose from and could afford. I'm hard on shoes and these old leathers have held up brilliantly.

No doubt about it. Allen-Edmonds are a well constructed shoe that will stand up to years of use and abuse. But to my eyes, they're sorely lacking in the aesthetics department. And that's a not-insubstantial consideration. Sure, you want your shoes to last. But you also want them to look good. And that, to me, is where AEs fall short. You may think otherwise. If so, go forth and prosper.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
No doubt about it. Allen-Edmonds are a well constructed shoe that will stand up to years of use and abuse. But to my eyes, they're sorely lacking in the aesthetics department. And that's a not-insubstantial consideration. Sure, you want your shoes to last. But you also want them to look good. And that, to me, is where AEs fall short. You may think otherwise. If so, go forth and prosper.

Actually- I've moved on to shoes like Martegani as I love the aesthetic. But they and most are out of the OP's range.

But while we are on the subject, are Loake's available in the US or an American online dealer? The OP is in Texas. I see Herrings ships to the US, making them about $260 and up plus shipping, so about the same price as AE's. Additionally, aren't Loakes generally corrected grain? A minor point to some but not my measure of quality.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But while we are on the subject, are Loake's available in the US or an American online dealer?

I've gotten mine from Pediwear, but that was when the dollar was a bit more robust compared to the pound.

Additionally, aren't Loakes generally corrected grain? A minor point to some but not my measure of quality.

Not the 1880 line.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my vote for you given your style preferences would be to extend your budget into the 300s and grab a pair of Crockett & Jones Hallam captoes on the very sleek 348 last. I think this last and shoe would be more appropriate given your criteria. Plal.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads