• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM jacket doesn't fit?

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
In which pic ? In the last one the jacket is unbuttoned , but I think his shoulders are that shape.

Well, in both the front and back shots, the shoulders of the jacket appear to project more than an inch off the end of his actual shoulders.

IMG_0922_web.jpg

IMG_0926_web.jpg

SK8

Reaction score
A while back I ordered a BB “Select” suit, based on the Regent fit. With the BB Select program I was able to pick the fabric and some other minor details. Long story short the suit fit like crap and the craftsmanship was poor. I told the sales manager that I was not happy with the fit/quality and BB kindly took the suit back and gave me a store credit. I ended up buying a few pair of shoes with my store credit. Thumbs up to BB for taking the suit back with no questions asked. As a side note I believe my suit was made by Southwick.

I would return your jacket and get something else..

kngrimm

Reaction score
It's not at SF-standards.. definitely. The 'pattern' is what I don't understand...

Maybe BB doesn't fit you.. but maybe another company will? Don't give up just yet, but I do agree that there is a gray cloud above..

But that cloud is over all of us that think clothes are important... so buck up.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
I just picked up my first MTM jacket, and I'm afraid it doesn't fit well enough. Then again, I'm a total neophyte, so I don't know what I'm talking about and I'd rather let you be the judges.

Thanks! And please do not try to be polite. I need the truth here.

(More photos to come.)

I wounder which BB store fitted you...i know my SA/tailor at BB would never do such ****** job...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely return it if you continue to be displeased. I think they'll see the problems and either correct them or offer you your money back.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Err, I think it's obviously too wide in the shoulders, that's why their drooping and falling off your actual shoulders.

Agree.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It looks like a baggy, second-rate cardigan.
LOL

The sleeves seem to be on the short side, the shoulders are too soft and the body too long.
To get the sleeve length, I followed Despos's advice and stuck out my thumbs like I was hitchhiking. The sleeves touch my outstretched thumbs without a break. That was supposed to be only a starting point, especially since I'm not even entirely how long I want to wear my shirt sleeves, ultimately. I told the tailor not to actually remove fabric from the sleeves when he shortened them.

About the body being too long...I'm not sure about that. I'm not exactly disagreeing, but isn't "rear coverage" a basic requirement?

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Don't let your alterations tailor touch it, because they will then say he may of changed it.
Good advice, and I'd already thought that through before taking the jacket over there.

I think the harder issue will be that with your visual impairment how you will know when it is right.
Yeah. Like I said, I'm gettig to the point where I can feel some of this stuff, but for the overall look, I think I'm stuck posting photos...which isn't a terrible thing to do, but you guys aren't being paid for the service.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
I can't figure out what exactly is wrong with the jacket having been perplexed by it for 20 mins. I did notice that in the http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...8&d=1217706970 picture you are standing perfectly and you are still getting ripples on the side, that makes no sense.
One possible explanation is that when I was first shown the jacket, I felt that the shoulders were too wide, and the tailor said they needed to come in a half inch. When I came back to pick it up, the shoulders still seemed a little large and something was bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on what. Remember, I'm new at this...and there was also the pressure of being in the store with people watching me and waiting for me to decide something. I didn't pick up on the whole chest being too wide until I got home and had a chance to relax and spend some time with the garment in private.

So...the point is that I wonder if those odd ripples were caused by only the shoulders being brought in, when the real underlying problem was that the entire jacket from the chest up was too wide. Maybe that doesn't make sense, though. I don't know. :) Anyway, I figured I should mention it.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I wounder which BB store fitted you...i know my SA/tailor at BB would never do such ****** job...
It's the Connecticut Ave. store in Washington, DC. The tailor who took the measurements retired soon after. But then there's the matter of the new tailor letting me out the door with the fit the way it is.

Wardrobegirl

Reaction score
Hi -

You messaged me on AAAC and asked me to take a look...

My opinion - the balance of the jacket is off...if you go to a good tailor, the best way to fix it is to grab the collar in the back, pull up and pinch it (and mark it) - you will be pulling it up and in...you will be shortening the strap in the front (that will eliminate the popping around the chest and the jacket will lie nicer around the collar...in addition, it will clean up the point to point in the back (the point to point is too wide) and there is a bit of extra fabric in the back - (the center back needs to come in)...I personally think the sleeves are too short as well and will get shorter when you pull the jacket up...this will be good for the length though because I think the coat is too long for you...once this alteration is done, check the waist suppression - it might turn out ok..

One thing that might be problematic and will make my above comment possibly void - I can't tell from the picture if the picture is off or the button placement is off...it looks like the right side (your left) is hanging lower than the right indicating the button placement is not matching the button hole - if this is the case, this is what could be throwing the balance off...

In the event the issue is my first opinion, a good tailor can fix this easily...if it is the later, the jacket is pretty much a remake...it needs new fronts, the collar strap needs to be shortened, the point needs to come in, etc...either way, I would expect more from a MTM garment - that really is not a good fit...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads