• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Modern Tailor

hubbardsw

Reaction score
After a long wait my first Modern Tailor shirt arrived today. Please excuse the shorts, I just took it out of the package and threw it on. Any help on the fit? Not sure what may need to be tweaked as I'm new to MTM shirts.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a glance, looks like a slam dunk.

effers

Reaction score
Only way to really tell is to put it through the wash and iron. Then post pics again for critique.

How does it feel? Any pulling at the chest, underarms, waist, or wrists?

nohio

Reaction score
You need to wash it a few times, iron it, and wear it with proper dress pants for your picture in order to judge how it fits. Also, you'll want to wear it several times so you can figure out if it is comfortable or not.

hubbardsw

Reaction score
Going in the wash as we speak (Actually I always hand wash and air dry my dress shirts, so not sure if it will shrink any), just threw it on when it came in the door. No pulling anywhere, I was a little worried going off body measurements.

tone76

Reaction score
Looks pretty good for a first attempt, although + 1 to washing and ironing and seeing how it fits. Maybe with pants for context as well. ;)

If the shirt is washed in cold water and air dried, there shouldn't be any major shrinkage (if at all). My MT shirt in the blue oxford trial fabric has been washed several times in cold water and dried (air and tumble dryer) and hasn't shrunk at all.

Last edited:

nohio

Reaction score
It looks pretty good. Make your decisions based on how it feels. From the pictures, it looks like the cuffs might be too wide for your wrists (but this might be your preference) and the sleeves might be a little short (depends on where you like your jacket sleeves to end.) The sleeves also seem a little full, but you might want them that way if you use your arms a lot during the day. There looks like some bunching fabric in the back which might be fixed by reducing the waist or adding darts, but it could also be just because of the way you tucked it in. See how it works for you during the day.

atila

Reaction score
Yea, the only issue I notice mentioned above... taper the sleeves a bit and the cuff.

edit: How much do those shirts go for, by the way?

Last edited:

hubbardsw

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with the cuffs and bunching of fabric in the back. I'm going to try
And reduce the waist a bit more.

Boswell

Reaction score

After a long wait my first Modern Tailor shirt arrived today. Please excuse the shorts, I just took it out of the package and threw it on. Any help on the fit? Not sure what may need to be tweaked as I'm new to MTM shirts.

Did you use body measurements, or shirt measurements?

Fresaq

Reaction score
It looks quite nice overall, as someone else said, the cuffs might be slightly big :)

hubbardsw

Reaction score

Did you use body measurements, or shirt measurements?

Used a mix of Body measurements and a decent fitting shirt. Didn't have a really good fitting shirt so I kind of played it by ear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads