• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First 'good' pair of shoes...

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I meant the title to be ironic. Before all the bespokes, Lobb's, EG's, C&J's, etc. I was wondering what everyone thought their first 'good' pair of shoes were.

I was 20 and bought a pair of black Johnston & Murphy Melton shoes-- they lasted less than a year.

Kenneth Cole anyone?

dirtyturk

Reaction score
yeah i came out of the womb feet first, so got a "Lobb on" right there and then.

southbound35

Reaction score
Florsheim Imperial, black punch captoes, purchased in 1989. Bought them to wear to my first fraternity "formal", which, for most at my small school, meant navy blazer or tweed sportcoat and khaki chinos. I wore a thrifted navy suit.

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Alden shell LHS

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last few years I've been wearing Cole Haans and swearing by them for my dress shoes. But I just recently purchased a pair of Peal & Co. Brooks Brothers perforated medallion lace-ups and a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands. I can see the difference in quality between either of them and any of the Cole Haan's I've owned.

I know the AEs don't get the love around here, but I think the style on them is quite a bit nicer looking than the BB ones.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about 15 months ago, RM Williams Craftsman boots

I had previously bought some Ben Sherman shoes with I thought were stylish. I donated them all this year.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try AE although they might be to conservative for you. ive had very good luck with ferragamo and you can find them on sale online without too much difficulty

every kenneth cole ive had (its been well over ten years) fell apart dont bother

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmivtr
Well, I meant the title to be ironic. Before all the bespokes, Lobb's, EG's, C&J's, etc. I was wondering what everyone thought their first 'good' pair of shoes were.

I was 20 and bought a pair of black Johnston & Murphy Melton shoes-- they lasted less than a year.

Kenneth Cole anyone?

KC is garbage.

What is your budget?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of J&M black captoes for my wedding. They're welted, but the leather is garbage. Shopping for wedding stuff really started me towards getting an education on clothing and shoes. Soon afterwards I got a pair of Alfred Sargent (by Peal for BB) on clearance and was just amazed at the difference. It sold me on high quality shoes. I've since gotten a couple AE's, Cheaney chukkas, Church's, C&J (also by Peal for BB), and a couple benchgrade Polo branded shoes whose maker I can't track down.

I feel like the Peal route, especially on clearance, is a great way to get some incredible shoes for a good price. $195 for channeled sole C&J or Alfred Sargent? Can't go wrong with that. You have to be very patient waiting for the sales though.

Raralith

Reaction score
About a decade ago I interned at a large accounting firm in Manhattan, New York. I believe I bought a pair of black, derby Rockports which lasted about a year. The next conservative shoe was Allen Edmonds which was easy to get at Nordstroms, and than got a few BB/Alden's and Alden's when visint San Francisco.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
What is your budget?

To OP; ^herein lies the answer to your querry

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this thread is more of a sharing thread, than a recommendation thread. OP is asking what we thought our first pair of good shoes were.

For me, I thought my first pair of good shoes was pair of Ecco shoes 10 years ago. I thought they were the ****. Then they wore down really quickly and I gave up on expensive shoes. They were over 100 bucks, made with the crappiest corrected grain shiny leather ever in a sexy square-toe boot style. I thought it wasn't worth it to pay more so bought really cheap **** shoes for years.

The next pair of shoes that was a bit more acceptable were some Calvin Klein driving shoes. They were bicycle toe though. On ultra sale at Macy's. I got tons of complements for them and they lasted for a long time and were comfortable.

When I saw the light, the first pair of real shoes (goodyear welted and made with full grain leather) I bought were Allen Edmonds Lambert (pebble-grain bluchers). Still have them. Still wear them.

BBC

Reaction score
I think it was a pair of black Hanover wingtips - had them about 20 years and finally got rid of them a couple of years ago.

mrhills0146

Reaction score
Cable & Co. brown cap-toes purchased in ~1996. I still have them and still wear them regularly.

hotspur11

Reaction score
Cole Haan burgundy cap toes, were the first I bought (from the Macy's expensive shelf) and in H.S I did think my Sebago penny loafers were as good as it gets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads