• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Foray into Style: Understanding Colors

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Looking for a resource to find what colors best fit my skin tone.

Also looking for a how-to on "color coordination". A chart, guide, whatever.

I ran a google search, but want to see your recommendations.

Any tips or links?

Thanks,
J

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a long-time member of the Color Marketing Group and Color Association USA. I have no idea why the guy above posted a color wheel in reply to your question. That isn't an answer.

There are numerous books on the subject. I found them to be somewhat confusing. They also vary by when they were written. How people perceive what looks right will vary over time. That is why there are color trends. Changes in color trends have a huge influence on what and how we buy.

You might want to start with a book like "Color For Men" http://www.amazon.com/Color-Men-Car...qid=1368391218&sr=1-4&keywords=carole+jackson

but take it as general direction and not the final word on the subject.

If you want some specific advice, post a clear photo of yourself in natural light.

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Quote:
No, just a pic of what I thought was style and character.

Quote:
I'm not the most photogenic person nor a master with paint, but...
Untitled_zps3ed91d17.jpg
Thank you!

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Thanks!

So from what I can tell by your suggestions:

Next to skin shirt colors: subdued yellows & blues, whites, and vibrant reds.

2nd layer top colors: Navy, pastel-type blues

I guess pant colors don't matter in regards to skin tone, as long as they match/compliment the top components.

Is that about right?

Again, thanks for the clothes set up. Those are some high dollar items, and I'm afraid I'd have to make do with lower cost brands. But I'll definently try to look for items that are similar in nature (prominently - slim fit)

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with most of the suggestions offered to you above. Your skin tone is similar to mine. Here is what I have found:

For shirts stay away from light blue and go with more medium blue colors. If in doubt, go darker than lighter.

Don't wear any red with the exception of a dusty brick red. Avoid yellows unless you are very tan.

Navy or chambray shades are your friend.

Medium pinks will look great. Avoid pale pinks (most are pale) they will make you look washed out.

Deep mossy greens, navy are ideal for jackets and sweaters.

If you want to wear grey jackets or sweaters stick with charcoal grey and avoid light grey. The light grey will make you look washed out especially in the fall and winter.

Tan will make you look washed out unless you are tan or unless you get a deep enough shade to offer contrast with your skin tone. Look for shades of tan that have a rich olive cast to them.

You can go with lighter tan, grey, if they are worn as pants. Where it makes a difference is when wearing them next to your face.

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

As for yellows and tans, my face seems to turn redder as opposed to tan, whereas the rest of my body will tan (gradually).

I admit, I'm surprised to hear your suggestion of a charcoal gray as opposed to light gray. I always thought a lighter gray looked better on me.

Again, thank you for the response. Your color guide is especially helpful!

-J

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. What about whites? And if I get a leather jacket. brown or black? I'm siding with black.

Last edited:

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Since pocketsquareguy is in the bay, I sent him a PM about seeking a consultation or a recommendation.

And as for the pipe there's a story:

I was working for the forest service in Shoshone National Forest in Wyoming. The job was in the backcountry 12 miles from the trail head, and a hour from the nearest gas station.

At the time I smoked hand-rolled cigarettes and bought one of those big cans of Drum tobacco. Well I ran out of papers before I was out of tobacco. Being the handy-dandy lumberjack I was, I fashioned a pipe out of wood.

Last edited:

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Well, pocketsquareguy hasn't responded to my PM, so I hope I haven't scared him off.
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

RiesigJay

Reaction score
Hah... that was a joke... I hope.
eh.gif

I asked for a recommendation to a company or someone he knew. No bueno. I'll just google image consultant SF or something. I'm (hopefully) headed up to Alaska to work the summer there so I wouldn't be doing this until I get back sometime in the fall.

Anyway, I removed the pictures. I just don't want to see my face in one of those motivational pics.
crazy.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads