• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First "business casual" job, have nothing to wear. Help!

Reaction score
Hi there SF,

I'm a third year in college, and I now have my first real off-campus job (outside of high school era food service and retail.) I'm going to work at Skadden's downtown Chicago office during the evening. The recruiter told me that it's a "business casual" workplace - specifically saying no jacket, no tie, and no denim.

My wardrobe thus far has consisted of my interviewing clothes(ties, navy suit, white BB shirt, AE Park Avenues) and my everyday streetwear stuff (polos, the ubiquitous striped button downs, t-shirts, jeans, boots/sneakers/top-siders).

Needless to say, I'll need to do some purchasing. I also don't have that terribly much money to spend. I'm only going to be working (initially) two nights a week, so I don't need a ton of stuff.

The only thing that I own that can be thrown into the "business casual" outfit is my one pair of BR Gavin Dress Chinos ($19 on the clearance rack = win.)

I know I'll need at least one more pair of pants, and a few shirts, and a pair of shoes.

I assume striped shirts (think clubwear, say what you will - a la Lacoste's striped button downs) are out.

So shirts, where can I get a few decent solid shirts for a low price - I don't really have money to hop over to NM or Brooks Brothers or any of those places and drop 75+ on shirts for work. Also, color suggestions are cool.

Pants - BR's chinos have served me well, anything else I should do?

Shoes - Here's the tough one for me. Loafers? I know the AE Park Aves are too formal for anything but a suit. I was thinking some lighter brown loafers, am I too off base? Brands would help here (think cheaply - AE is out).

Thanks SF.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out the Buy and Sell section on the forum daily, you will start to fill out your casual woredrobe nicely

bucephalus

Reaction score
Tan chinos and a light blue shirt will never be wrong.
One of the few times a button collar is appropriate.

An inexpensive light wool navy blazer will give you a
complete look. One of the few times cotton pants and
a wool jacket work.

Shoes are critical. Women will look at your shoes then your face
then your butt.

Shoes should be leather with leather soles and should be a
darker shade of your pants.

Your belt should be more or less the same colour as your shoes.
Don't be too exact as you may be taken to be a budding fop or worse.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avatar
Hi there SF,

I'm a third year in college, and I now have my first real off-campus job (outside of high school era food service and retail.) I'm going to work at Skadden's downtown Chicago office during the evening. The recruiter told me that it's a "business casual" workplace - specifically saying no jacket, no tie, and no denim.

My wardrobe thus far has consisted of my interviewing clothes(ties, navy suit, white BB shirt, AE Park Avenues) and my everyday streetwear stuff (polos, the ubiquitous striped button downs, t-shirts, jeans, boots/sneakers/top-siders).

Needless to say, I'll need to do some purchasing. I also don't have that terribly much money to spend. I'm only going to be working (initially) two nights a week, so I don't need a ton of stuff.

The only thing that I own that can be thrown into the "business casual" outfit is my one pair of BR Gavin Dress Chinos ($19 on the clearance rack = win.)

I know I'll need at least one more pair of pants, and a few shirts, and a pair of shoes.

I assume striped shirts (think clubwear, say what you will - a la Lacoste's striped button downs) are out.

So shirts, where can I get a few decent solid shirts for a low price - I don't really have money to hop over to NM or Brooks Brothers or any of those places and drop 75+ on shirts for work. Also, color suggestions are cool.

Pants - BR's chinos have served me well, anything else I should do?

Shoes - Here's the tough one for me. Loafers? I know the AE Park Aves are too formal for anything but a suit. I was thinking some lighter brown loafers, am I too off base? Brands would help here (think cheaply - AE is out).

Thanks SF.

H&M shirts, and maybe trousers if they fit you. Polo trousers are often sold in the B&S forum and are nice.

Buy some bluchers for shoes, don't go with loafers IMO.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avatar
Nobody else here would approve, but I wear borderline AmJack shirts in business casual all the time. Most of my coworkers and superordinates wear polos or t-shirts, and jeans or chinos. I strongly prefer wool trousers, and obviously I spend more on my shoes, so I need something that says I'm dressing up for fun, not to upstage them... Anyway, my point is: why don't you post pics of your shirts? Maybe some of them are passable - allowing you to increase your shoe budget!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(Which must purchase 2 non-loafers, BTW.)

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
You can do the usual Gap, Banana Republic, route.

Or do what I do and mix in some BenDavis' pants once in awhile to
scare the normal corporate folk.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Paul Frederick for shirts. At sale prices it's a good budget option for basics.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A. Bank, Land's End, L.L. Bean, and Eddie Bauer are some options for low-priced, "busisness casual" items. For shirts, polos, dress shirts, sport shirts, and sweaters (if it's cold enough at night for the next few months) are acceptable. Add a pair of corduroys or moleskins to your collection of pants. Solid shirt colors probably shouldn't be bolder than pink or maroon, and the first day should feature a conservative color. Avoid black pants and black button-downs. While not recommended, it's okay to have duplicates of white dress shirts and light blue dress shirts. Don't buy other kinds of duplicates.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should be simple shouldn't it? Just wear your normal interview outfit sans jacket and tie!
smile.gif
..if its cold, throw on a sweater!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads