• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First bespoke shoe? What to get?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
J

diacapadel.jpg

this is the epitome of deliciousness

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I won't wear my bepsoke shoes to work until I'm the boss"

I have to knock some sense into you....AGAIN Jamaican

Wear your bespoke shoes to work...and may I suggest black calf or a vintage rioja with heavy burnishing/antiqueing

Since you desire a shoe which you can also wear outside of work try a side gussetted design
Perhaps G&G's diamond cap design or a wing tip full brogue coupled with the "RJMan special" faux laces look that Winston Churchill loved

I wouldn't gamble with the crazy stuff at first...if you don't like final product, you are stuck with a weekend or evening shoe which you just blew 1750 quid

By going bespoke on a work shoe, you will wear it much more often and appreciate the fit of bespoke

Will at a Suitable Wardrobe blogged a month ago about an update on the progress of his Oxblood Foster & Sons semi-brogue. These are solid work shoes and look gorgeous (especially if you get that acid wash antique look by Fosters & Sons which they do on their black shoes)

Bown's Bespoke has numerous semi-brogue designs which look great, especially those semi-brogues from Fosters & Sons with that black antique look

If you use G&G, that diamond cap brogue design is a must...Luk-chas adelaide's are testimony to this

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When buying something exceptional (whatever exceptional means to you) you will always be presented with the choice of either getting something middle-of-the-road which you can enjoy often, or so unusual as to make it less utilitarian.

I go for middle of the road, personally. It's purely preference though, as the replies show.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What is teh "RJman special"?

jamaican

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
"I won't wear my bepsoke shoes to work until I'm the boss"

I have to knock some sense into you....AGAIN Jamaican

Wear your bespoke shoes to work...and may I suggest black calf or a vintage rioja with heavy burnishing/antiqueing

Since you desire a shoe which you can also wear outside of work try a side gussetted design
Perhaps G&G's diamond cap design or a wing tip full brogue coupled with the "RJMan special" faux laces look that Winston Churchill loved

I wouldn't gamble with the crazy stuff at first...if you don't like final product, you are stuck with a weekend or evening shoe which you just blew 1750 quid

By going bespoke on a work shoe, you will wear it much more often and appreciate the fit of bespoke

Will at a Suitable Wardrobe blogged a month ago about an update on the progress of his Oxblood Foster & Sons semi-brogue. These are solid work shoes and look gorgeous (especially if you get that acid wash antique look by Fosters & Sons which they do on their black shoes)

Bown's Bespoke has numerous semi-brogue designs which look great, especially those semi-brogues from Fosters & Sons with that black antique look

If you use G&G, that diamond cap brogue design is a must...Luk-chas adelaide's are testimony to this

Let me explain, I am actually toooo darn pretty - ask my wife - to go to work in bespoke shoes... it would actually get every man lacking even in the slightest bit of self confidence looking at me jealously and every woman not firmly attached looking my way... I just don't need that kind of attention... yeh I know; Its hard being the jamaican.

Winston Churchill faux laces... do you think I am smokin' crack? Not gonna happen.

Aside from those lapses in standars of morality, taste and decency I am with you...

I will avoid the purple whole cut (like Lasbar's) for the minute... it might get me later in my bespoke experience though.

Will's oxblood semi brogues are in my shortlist. Even without the soles they were absolutely amazing. I would do it in the vintage rioja made by G&G. J

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like how teh Frogs have adopted the customary Oriental rug background for their shoe pictures.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I like how teh Frogs have adopted the customary Oriental rug background for their shoe pictures.

i prefer a plain background for my p0rn.
frown.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJMan Special

Its a side gussetted design with faux laces (similar to the Lazy Man's shoes as worn by Winston Churchill at Cleverly picture (#7) http://homepage2.nifty.com/cobblers-...espoke_top.htm
inlove.gif

The future RJMan special will be black or mahogany grain cordovan, faux laces, side gusset, extended storm welt and G&G diamond cap brogue apron design coupled with a cat shaped medallion

I'm sure Michael Alden at the London Lounge or Will at Suitable Wardrobe are now just salivating at the prospect of mimicking such a shoe design for their next limited edition

I'm in the process of seeing if Edward Green can do it via their Top Drawer program as a modification to the Atlee (without the cat medallion of course), otherwise G&G Bespoke will have to do (but with the cat medallion burned in by lazer)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... uh... OK?

I don't have any shoe with fake laces... or cat medallions.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamaican, sorry for temporarily hijacking this post

RJMan, you officially stated the Lazy Man shoes were not for you, but the lazer engraved medallion would be just perfect...don't you think?

Sans medallion, this is the crazy stuff you alluded to earlier that Jamaican should indulge in. Not the faux laces design itself, but the thought of doing crazy stuff only our imagination could conjure up for our 1st bespoke

Now back to a question for Jamaican or anyone else to answer:
Besides the issue of an individually made last ensuring a great fit, Jamaican why not save yourself the cash be doing 2 paris of Edward Green Top Drawer designs for the price of a single Bespoke shoe?

Has anyone anguished over this previously and opted for a Top Drawer shoe instead?
Or is bespoke like crack...once you've tried it, you are hooked?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Has anyone anguished over this previously and opted for a Top Drawer shoe instead?
Or is bespoke like crack...once you've tried it, you are hooked?

Not hooked in my case. I got my first pair 13 years ago now. I stil buy RTW shoes, and bespoke shoes only maybe once every two or three years. I can tell the difference, no question, and Top Drawer is not a true substitute. I've just found that, for me, the price upcharge for bespoke does not deliver the necessary satisfaction. I can't live without bespoke shirts or suits, but I could live without bespoke shoes.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton and to others who have endulged in bespoke shoes

Is it true that it took about 3 to 4 shoes before the shoe maker got the fit right?

What made you jump back and forth form bespoke to RTW

Has anyone had any luck getting Edward Green through their MTO or TD program, to use their bespoke lasts?
If yes, was the fit, just as good as the bespoke shoes?

Will at a Suitable Wardrobe alluded to this back when some EG Bespoke customers went with Tony Gaziano?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamaican
Luk-cha What is the third shoe in your beauty parade? Is it Lobb... what I can see of the shoe trees looks like it: It is sublime... Love the shape of it. The first shoe (G&G)- I have drooled over before, but the the thrid pic is just scrumptious... I feel a chitty chitty bang bang song coming on!

The short list is: a captoe Oxford - perhaps in an antique black (sorry to the purists and to the don't do the classic guys alike); a simple wingtip brogue in a tan leather (I'd wear that with almost anything smart casual); or a semi-brogue without heel counter (in burgundy antiqued).

Originally Posted by fritzl
Delos

Originally Posted by Kuro
more pics of it here: http://depiedencap.leforum.eu/t2752-...os.htm?q=delos

yes it is a Delos but i think this would look great as a G&G Regent with the pain diamond cap

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is it true that it took about 3 to 4 shoes before the shoe maker got the fit right?

What made you jump back and forth form bespoke to RTW?

1. No, certainly not. Ensure that you use a shoemaker who offers fittings.

2. Primarily the $$$. Manton explained the diminished value of RTW vs. bespoke shoes above (as compared to suits, shirts etc.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads