• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine shirting dilemma

sloaney

Reaction score
I have about a dozen custom shirts made in very high quality cotton, but they are IMPOSSIBLE to iron and get wrinkled VERY EASILY.

My cheap shirts look fine out of the washer and they look smarter than my custom shirts during the course of the day!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I have about a dozen custom shirts made in very high quality cotton, but they are IMPOSSIBLE to iron and get wrinkled VERY EASILY.

My cheap shirts look fine out of the washer and they look smarter than my custom shirts during the course of the day!

your cheap shirts are probably non-iron.

are you moving about during the day? wear the non-iron, then. I save the high quality cotton shirts for times when I'll be wear a jacket. The non-irons come out for almost everything else.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Cotton wrinkles with wear and there's really nothing that can be done about it. Consider it a feature rather than a bug.

sloaney

Reaction score
the cheap shirts are cotton too, they're just not as fine

but there is a serious issue here being more expensive custom shirts with higher quality cotton looking sloppier when worn compared to normal cutton shirts

they are also impossible to iron

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Finer cotton is made from finer yarn, the fibers are smaller in diameter, and less sturdy. They just won't wear as well. That supersoft feel to the touch has a trade-off.

Magster

Reaction score
the cheap shirts are cotton too, they're just not as fine

but there is a serious issue here being more expensive custom shirts with higher quality cotton looking sloppier when worn compared to normal cutton shirts

they are also impossible to iron

Steam, steam, steam or press over a damp white towel.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Finer cotton is made from finer yarn, the fibers are smaller in diameter, and less sturdy. They just won't wear as well. That supersoft feel to the touch has a trade-off.
+1 Same with suits ... May be save them for days when you wear lighter suits, as your body heat increases creasing. Speed

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your custom shirts are brand new, they may yet soften up after several launderings. I launder and iron all of my shirts myself and independent of the type of cotton, they all get easier to iron after several wash cycles.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton is right; you should consider wrinkling a feature. My nice shirts, mostly made of Riva cotton twill, all wrinkle around my elbows and my waist. Wrinkles that form where you move look perfectly natural.

As for ironing, make sure you spray the cotton with water if the shirt isn't already slightly damp.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is exactly the reason why I avoid anything over 2x130's for shirtings. I always run into this problem when I wear 2x140s and above. A well woven 2x100s is a beautiful thing - easy to iron and retains it's crispness longer - especially when the weave is a twill. Many of the offerings from Acorn/Classic are very good in this regard, and SIC Tess shirtings are exceptional.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so basically the moral of the story is - if you have expensive shirts, either a) wear a jacket or b) look extremely sloppy come 5pm?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some fabrics are worse than others for this. I stick to 2x2 120's for the most part, some of them are pretty resilient. Sea-Islands and the ilk tend to be much more wrinkle prone, in my experience.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
so basically the moral of the story is - if you have expensive shirts, either a) wear a jacket or b) look extremely sloppy come 5pm?

or c) change your definition of 'sloppy' to allow for some natural wrinkling.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always found it not to be a problem. Better shirts use long staples yarns which don't wrinkle as easily. It really just all depends on the fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads