• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Dining: Solo

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey tg if you're like free sometime...like...if you want id totally you know... take you to one of the finer dining establishments and id even pay for you. I mean you know if you like aren't busy or nothin.

and if you were a chick too bad you aint/we got doubts

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
and if you were a chick too bad you aint/we got doubts

laugh.gif

alexg

Reaction score
I'm slightly younger than you and was in basically the same situation in NYC for college this year. Generally waiters and waitresses assumed I was either in the city on business or some kind of food critic. You get over the awkwardness pretty quickly when you realize nobody cares about you being alone as long as you're paying. Oh, and don't expect to get carded.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
At any Keller restaurant, all solo diners are automatically VIPed--extra courses, off-menu stuff, better wine, etc.--on the theory that they are really into food and so would appreciate special attention more than most.

First reaction to any self conscious maitre d' and general foh staff when seeing a lone diner is "o ****, who are they."

Guaranteed you will get phenomenal service and food. Don't sweat being alone. I've done it many times while traveling and have seen special attention paid to guests like you (especially given your age.)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
go with somebody else just so I could have somebody to talk to about the experience

O god, for me this is a big reason to not go with someone. Unless I really like someone or they're very knowledgeable, I prefer to not hear people's observations about food, which tends to happen in small dining situations. I like medium sized groups so that there's good, lively conversation, with food as the focus but as far as conversation goes, the backdrop. Tony Bourdain and food blogs have made me almost hypersensitive to the average person's thoughts on food.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
First reaction to any self conscious maitre d' and general foh staff when seeing a lone diner is "o ****, who are they."

Guaranteed you will get phenomenal service and food. Don't sweat being alone. I've done it many times while traveling and have seen special attention paid to guests like you (especially given your age.)

Yep. This is it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially those who dine out and have nothing to say to one another but comment on how "good this is".

I got a reservation for Friday the 24th at 7pm. I think that will be a nice time to go; certainly the busiest, I assume.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

This is correct. My girlfriend works in one of NYC's better kitchens (pastry cook) and frequently tells me about the FOH misidentifying someone random as someone based simply on their demeanor and the fact that they were eating at a table alone. While her chef VIPs folks dining alone, the savory side doesn't always, but solo diners generally get good treatment.

As an aside, since she works most nights, I dine solo throughout NYC and have found the service I get alone to be similar to what we get together when the restaurant knows she is in the industry. So, you should be in for a good time.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where you eating m&m?

Daniel.

I am extremely excited.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
niiice.

hvae you seen the after hours series with daniel on hulu. i think its the same company that did three sheets. he seems like a great guy. one of the shows made me want to make a cassoulet

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have. It's a great show. I don't think it's better or worse than Avec Eric; it's done in a different style, which is nice.

One of the reasons I want to eat there is because of the great respect I have for him. Not only as a chef, but as a person. He is an extremely motivated businessman, and has a very perfectionist quality about himself, and his craft, that I can relate to.

I asked the maÃ
00ae.png
tre d' to make a note next to my reservation that if he is around the night I'm there, I would love to be able to meet him. I'm keeping my fingers cross.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that would be pretty cool. take pics if you do get to meet him
I certainly will try. I would have liked to be able to post pictures of the food to share with everyone here. I just think it's fairly cheesy taking out your camera and snapping photos of food at a place like that.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what kind of job do you have at the age of 20 that allows you to pay for $200 dinners? o-0

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads