• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson briefcases

Horses

Reaction score
What color of Filson briefcase do you think is most versitale and appropriate for a business casual work environment? Due to the expense, I am planning to use this bag for a long time, so I am also concerned with colors that are less likely to show dirt. I really like the tan, but am concerned it could look dirty faster than the other colors.

http://www.bagbliss.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Filson-Original-Briefcase.jpg

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What color of Filson briefcase do you think is most versitale and appropriate for a business casual work environment?

As a very general rule, to which there are many exceptions, I'd say that brown is the most versatile and appropriate color for a briefcase, in much the same way that a white is probably the most versatile and appropriate dress shirt color to wear with a suit.

It's not always the best choice. But it's usually the safest choice. The least likely to be a truly bad choice.

Like I say though, plenty of exceptions.

Which color briefcase do you think is most versatile and appropriate? Any particular reason why you think this? Which color briefcase do you most often see in your work environment? Which color briefcase do you most often see being used by those in your work environment or similar ones, by people in positions roughly comparable to the one you now hold, and the positions you anticipate filling over the next few years?

Horses

Reaction score

As a very general rule, to which there are many exceptions, I'd say that brown is the most versatile and appropriate color for a briefcase, in much the same way that a white is probably the most versatile and appropriate dress shirt color to wear with a suit.

It's not always the best choice. But it's usually the safest choice. The least likely to be a truly bad choice.

Like I say though, plenty of exceptions.

Which color briefcase do you think is most versatile and appropriate? Any particular reason why you think this? Which color briefcase do you most often see in your work environment? Which color briefcase do you most often see being used by those in your work environment or similar ones, by people in positions roughly comparable to the one you now hold, and the positions you anticipate filling over the next few years?

Thanks for the advice. My first thought was black would be the most versatile, but I don't know why, or feel confident about it. In the past, I've only thought about clothing and accessories in a way where I judge them how they look in the store or online, and don't think about how they will go with my other clothes. When I look at the bags independently, I love the tan one. It has great contrast with the black. It reminds me of construction work, which I've done in the past. I It reminds me of Carhart jackets. But maybe that means it isn't appropriate for my current work.

I work at a university library, and I work mostly with women. One man has a tattered light brown leather briefcase. I've seen people outside my department with generic, black canvas messenger bags. Some people have back packs. Many men don't seem to have any bag.

I asked someone about the bag, and they thought navy blue was most versatile. I wasn't sure if the brown and black leather went together, as many people seem to say black pants don't go with brown shoes.

I am thinking of getting a small bag for shopping/running errands, so maybe the tan would be best for that.

Best4Best

Reaction score
I was just at the FILSON outlet and they had a black one for $650 or so. This is a classic color... So if this is your only one, go with the black. If not I vote for tan as it develops a beautiful patina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best4Best

Reaction score
If you are looking at the canvas bags, definitely the tan. I thought you were ref the all leather briefcases ....call the outlet in WA and they ship for $20

Horses

Reaction score

FILSON
LEATHER FIELD SATCHEL
No. 11070252

That is a beautiful bag. I would feel nervous wearing it because it's so expensive. Maybe that's dumb of me. If I could have that bag for the rest of my career maybe I could justify it to myself (I'm 32) :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would feel nervous wearing it because it's so expensive.

Never buy anything the price of which leaves you unwilling to use it for its intended purpose.

The people who never use the good china, because it's very expensive and using it could result in damage to it. The fellow who finally saves up enough money and buys himself the wristwatch he's always wanted, but who then refuses to wear it because it might then pick up some slight sign of use. The SF regular who's bespoke shoes are finally delivered to him, but who's appalled at the idea of letting their soles touch the pavement.

Sad creatures, all.

Don't even get me started on the kid who won't put a Caleb Joseph rookie card in his bicycle wheel spokes, because then it won't be graded GEM-MT when he takes it to Gold & Silver Pawn in 50 years, in the hope that Chum III will give him 2500 BTC for it.

All kidding aside, if the price is high enough that you'd be nervous about using it, buy something cheaper. You'll be much better off.

(The people who buy professional grade DSLRs and weather-sealed lenses, but who are scared to take them out in a drizzle. The guy who won't wear his $400 sunglasses outside the house, because what if he forgets them somewhere? The oenophile who's owned a bottle of the '82 Latour for going on 30 years now, but who could never bring himself to drink such an expensive wine. The groom who on his wedding night doesn't dare... well, you get the idea.)

Horses

Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on what color would look best with a black suit, grey shirt, and maroon tie? The tie could be easily changed.

Last edited:

masayako

Reaction score
Tan for creative, upbeat work environment (studio, tech, art, school)

Black for serious work environment (law firm, accounting firm)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads