• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Scents/Colognes!

egoiste

Reaction score
What are your favorite colognes/scents? Do you alternate colognes with seasons or stick with one fragrance?

Lately, I've been wearing Chanel Platinum Egoiste as a daily cologne. I've noticed though, the quality of Platinum Egoiste now (and other Chanel fragrances in general) have been a lot lower than in the past. Perhaps it's the gradual use and incorporation of synethics in Chanel fragrances?

I also enjoy Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey Givenchy Very Irresistible Blue Label, Azzaro Chrome, Burberry London, Armani Acqua Di Gio, Vera Wang Men, and Marc Jacobs Men.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
If you're lucky enough to have a variety of fragrances to choose from, it's good to change with the seasons or occasions, as some fragrances just seem more appropriate than others.

The latest addition to the collection for me is Giorgio Armani Attitude. I have Vera Wang Men, among others, and I had L'eau d'Issey back in the late '90s.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So as it goes with clothes, I also like to change my colognes according to season. Currently in my rotation: Antaeus by Chanel, a subtle, warm yet unmistakably masculine fragrance was launched in 1981. Complex, powerful and seductive, this a perfect scent for romantic encounters. L'eau de L'Artisan - L'Artisan Parfumeur's signature scent is one of the most elegant fresh compositions, a scent as refined as it is charmingly rustic. This blend of bright citruses, cool mint, refreshing herbal greenness of basil, juicy verdancy of grass and subtly saline briskness of seaweed is great for fighting the heat of summer and is good in winter to be reminded of warm, sun-lit days. L'Eau de L'Artisan is never sharp; wearing the fragrance is akin to being cooled by the delicate breeze coming from the sea, the breeze that brings the aroma of grassy fields, of hay, of lemons and herbs. Bigarade ConcentrÃ
00a9.png
e by Jean-Claude Ellena
- Created starting with the essence of bitter orange never used before obtained by molecular distillation, Bigarade ConcentrÃ
00a9.png
e is designed around a bitter freshness. Its overdose of hesperidic notes and its heart touched by rose give it a natural and unique freshness, while a base note of slightly woody hay ensures comfort and longevity. Bigarade ConcentrÃ
00a9.png
e: a pure sillage, a stylish eau. Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons Series 4: Cologne - Masterfully blended, Vettiveru is perfectly balanced and surprisingly deep for a cologne, and an absolute must for all lovers of vetiver. It opens with a citrusy bergamot and the soft green of vetiver. Once it settles, it drifts in and out of being a light, dry woody scent (white cedar) and a wonderfully verdant and clean vetiver. I love the way it meanders between feeling ‘dry brown’ and ‘clean green, ’ and I can practically guarantee that Vettiveru will be fragrance you reach for when YOU want to wear the scent, not the other way around. Subtle yet please-rub-on-my-sheets/furniture/pillows-so-I-can-smell-it-when-you’re-gone memorable. Erolfa by Creed - An exceptionally long lasting “oceanic” fragrance inspired by the intoxicating freshness of sea air. With Tangerine, Bergamot, Sandalwood and Ambergris overlaid with an invigorating “ozonic” note. Colonia Russa by Santa Maria Novella - ムスクをベースとし、きりっとしたビターオレンジの香りにベルガモットのフレッシュさを合わせた香りです。ロシアのロマノフ王朝華やかなりし頃に、ロシア貴族の依頼により調合された香りで、別名「ロシアン・コロン」とも呼ばれています。 この説明を見て(店員さんに聞いて)これに決めました。 貴族かぁ。こんな上品な香りがしたんだなぁ。 他のも匂いましたがどれもいい香りでした。 むせかえるようなキツイ香水は嫌いなので,ここのはかなり気に入ってます。 (It has a decisive aroma of bitter orange, bergamot and musk.) The Different Company's Rose Poivree - Une vision inattendue de la rose, puissante et fraÃ
00ae.png
che à la fois. Car l’essence de Rose si dÃ
00a9.png
licate est aussi d’une voluptÃ
00a9.png
diabolique. Ce sillage restitue la mÃ
00a9.png
moire des lieux où l’azur est brûlant et la rose angÃ
00a9.png
lique courtisane. Ce cadeau olfactif est somptueux puisqu’il faut rÃ
00a9.png
colter à la main 20 kilos de pÃ
00a9.png
tales roses cent-feuilles pour Ã
00a9.png
laborer 90ml de Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e. Rose Damacena ou Rose de Damas, rÃ
00a9.png
coltÃ
00a9.png
e entre mai et juillet dans tout le bassin mÃ
00a9.png
diterranÃ
00a9.png
en. Rose puissante, envoûtante et fraÃ
00ae.png
che à la fois. Contient du Rose, baies roses, poivre, coriandre, vÃ
00a9.png
tiver, civette. (It takes over one hundred pounds of precious Damascus rose petals to produce just one bottle of Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e. A royal scent from exotic lands, this decadent essence mixes pure rose with a devilish pepper and spice, a combination fit for kings, queens and all who seek the divine (with a touch of naughty) in fragrance. The true beauty of Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e is its amazing turns—from the tangle of dark, luscious rose petals to the fiery spice-meets-green evolution, it never fails to captivate and enchant. A rare, costly and beautiful gem for the wild sensualists among you. Cannabis Santal Eau De Parfum by Fresh - A forbidden blend of patchouli, cannabis and rose, this extremely sensual fragrance captures raw energy and emotion in every bottle - it's provocative in the scent it embodies and the emotions it evokes - Top notes: Bergamot, Brazilian Orange, Black Plum; Heart: Patchouli, Cannabis Accord, Rose; Base: Chocolate, Vetiver, Vanilla Musks.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by egoiste
Perhaps it's the gradual use and incorporation of synethics in Chanel fragrances?

Unfortunately, as laws change around the world about what natural products can and can't be harvested or because of cost prohibitiveness (for example, natural oakmoss, ambergris, musk, etc.), fragrance companies have to play with the formulations and add synthetics. Sometimes, they do it to save money, but more often than not it is done because ingredients become impossible to obtain. Musk, for example, is made by harvesting a gland from a certain type of deer. Ambergris is excreted whale oil that has blended with sea salt and then sits on the beach to form a crusty, waxy substance (in other words, not something you can get anymore in huge supply).

With some fragrances by Guerlain, for example, that have been around for 100+ years, they have had to change the formulas around several times. So, they have to do the best they can to "approximate" what used to be legal to put into something.

Most all of Chanel's fragrances have been reformulated over the years. Fragrance purists think the old stuff was infinitely better. I still think the main Chanel fragrances (Egoiste, Platinum, Antaeus, and Pour Monsieur) are pretty good, but they are slightly different from the old formulations. Some swear by the old Pour Monsieur; I actually like the new stuff better. Same with Antaeus. I never was a huge fan of Platinum Egoiste, so I can't say how different it is these days. In any case, to each his own...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Most all of Chanel's fragrances have been reformulated over the years. Fragrance purists think the old stuff was infinitely better. I still think the main Chanel fragrances (Egoiste, Platinum, Antaeus, and Pour Monsieur) are pretty good, but they are slightly different from the old formulations. Some swear by the old Pour Monsieur; I actually like the new stuff better. Same with Antaeus. I never was a huge fan of Platinum Egoiste, so I can't say how different it is these days. In any case, to each his own...

I received a few bottles of vintage Antaeus, the current product is similar but lacks some of the old depth. As thought they cut back on the beeswax absolute that grounded Antaeus.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
I have been pretty consistent with my chosen scents. This list will be helpful for exploring new exotic scents.

My personal rotation:

Jean Paul Gaultier LE MALE- Le Male top note is fresh like a strong peppermint with touches of artemisia, bergamot and cardamom that really set the stage. Then lavender comes through, wedded with orange blossom, cinnamon and cumin, and base notes of wood, musk, amber and vanilla.

Burberry London (new) Cologne by Burberrys, Launched in 2006 it has an opening of bergamot, lavender, cinnamon leaves, and black pepper. The heart consist of mimosa flower, port wine, and leather notes. At the base it's guaiac wood, oakmoss, opoponax, and tobacco leaf.

212 by CAROLINA HERRERA- 212 was designed for a sexy, sophisticated, subtle, and spontaneous man. 212 cologne has top notes: Grapefruit, Ginger, Mandarin and Aquatic Molecules. 212 has base notes: Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood and Musk.

Ultraviolet cologne by paco rabanne is a blend of peppery spice, kinmousei, amber, and vanilla. This is my personal favourite! I get comments daily from ladies on this scent.... BIG RECOMENDATION!!!!

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have been enjoying Creed- Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse, has a grapefruit like freshness about it.

Did you ever, put a grapefruit in, the oven ?

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
So as it goes with clothes, I also like to change my colognes according to season. Currently in my rotation:

Which do you prefer, when posting on, the internet ?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A*Men - choclately ver original, though I hear it's popular just not hear
Marc Jacobs - Some kind of fig smells coconutty very original I know of no other fragrance that uses the Kadota Fig
Versace Man - just like this one smells like Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue for women except more masculine
Creed Imperiale Millesime my favorite of the Creeds
Hermes ConcentrÃ
00a9.png
e D'Orange Verte - nice summer fragrance
Creed Green Irish Tweed - a classic fragrance used by Cary Grant some say it smells like Davidoff Cool water a little bit, but much greener
Yves St. Laurent M7 - heavier another original fragrance

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Which do you prefer, when posting on, the internet ?

The colognes, being expensive, only see the light, of day when, do I do, the same.

(This reminds me of the episode of The Office where Michael is talking to Jan, his boss/girlfriend, and she says something to him, and he tries to be romantic in return, but ends up saying something like, "as do I" and it comes off as rather stilted and affected.)

(can't find that quote so I'm quoting other memorable lines instead)

Jan: Michael, come over after work tonight. I miss your…body.
Michael: I dunno. I feel…I drive a lot. I’m spending a fortune on gas…
Jan: I’ll give you $200. If I get up before you I’ll leave it on the dresser.
Michael: I dunno…that makes me kind of uncomfortable…
Jan: $300?
Michael: I…well…I dunno…
Jan: Whatever, just let my assistant know if you’re coming over so he can get more Vodka. Hunter, are you on?
Hunter: You got it Jan!

David (the CFO): Jan, glad you could make it…
Jan: Oh, of course, of course David. Do you remember Michael Scott from Scranton branch?
David Of course I do. How are you Michael?
Michael: Jan and I are lovers. It feels so good to finally say that out loud.

Michael: Will her highness, Jan Levinson Gould, be descending from her corporate throne this evening to visit us lowly serfs here at Dunder Mifflin Scranton?
Jan: It’s a 2 ½ hour drive from New York Michael.
Michael: Well, you could take the bus. You could work on the way here. Sleep on the way home.
Jan: No.
Michael: Comon’ Jan this is important. I mean this is validation to my employees here that you and corporate approve of this…
Jan: We don’t approve of this Michael. You only have the budget for one office party a year. So we’re not paying for this.
Michael keeps arguing with Jan…
Michael: Comon’ Jan! You’re dropping an A-bomb on me here!
Jan: Really? I’m dropping an atomic bomb on you? You already had a party on May 5th for no reason…
Michael: No reason? It was the 05-05-05 party! It happens once every billion years!
Jan: And you also had a luau and you had a tsunami relief fundraiser that somehow lost money…

Michael: Our first fight. If this is about what happened in the bathroom there was no place to cuddle...
Jan: I feel sick.
Michael: You didn't have any of the potato salad did you?

mljones99

Reaction score
I have a small rotation:

Hermes Terre d' Hermes
Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert
Hermes Vetivere Tonka
Hermes Rocabar
(I work for Hermes so I get them for free)
Prada Man
YSL Pour Homme
Vera Wang for Men

Soon to be purchased
Gucci Envy
Issey Miyaki

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've narrowed down my favorites to these, nothing fancy or exotic, but i like them.

1. paco rabanne
2. eau sauvage - christion dior
3. l'homme - lanvin
4. grey flannel - g. beene (i think labelking likes this one too.)

mbc

Reaction score
Current favorite is John Varvatos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads