• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion in General

shipcamein

Reaction score
A long read, I understand! But perhaps good for a laugh...or education.

That's what I'm here for, anyway...

I think this is an unusual question with an open-ended response, so feel free to refer me to articles or other sources that perhaps address this...

I have only recently begun "caring" what I am wearing. I am a 45 year old man, whose entire life of "dressing up" has been the (very) basics: Be clean and neat, try to match, wear clothes that fit. That's it. If you do these things, you will not offend 99% of the people you are likely to meet in a day.

Now - due to a change in scenery and social circle - I have been inundated with shopping tips, fashion advice and just plain observations and some enthusiastic opinions.

Let me get give you an example. "There is no place for white gym shoes outside of the gym. If you're not actually working out - do not - ever - wear these. It's a turn off." You get the idea... Perhaps many of you agree...

Here's the thing: You are describing the everyday foot wear of what has to be 90% of the general public, both men and women, old and young.

Here's another example: "Never wear black pants, unless you're a waiter, or maybe at a funeral. Dark navy is the answer..."

Again - I suggest attending any Catholic Mass on a busy Sunday, and you will see several hundred men wearing exactly that. The same pants they wear to job interviews and nice dinners out. Frankly, at my advanced years - 45! - I cannot even SEE the difference between black and dark navy, unless the two are touching. I suspect many (men) are in the same (hopeless?) boat.

I have never heard anyone say - gosh, those black pants are just wrong! I have never heard ME say it, because I will not notice (or know) your pant color, unless it's completely obnoxious.

Oxfords versus Bluchers? Pleeeease. Most men have two pairs of shoes (or rather, two styles): The every day shoe (White tennies,above) and the Dress shoe, the thing I wear when I am not wearing jeans. When I am interviewing other people, I DO notice their shoes - the fact that they are wearing some, or not. That's it. Unless they're wearing flip flops with a suit (or similar) I am unlikely to award style points.

So - when it came time to upgrade my wardrobe recently, I realized I do not know where to shop. But worse than that - I don't even know anyone who knows where to shop. I am active in my community and work in a busy professional field surrounded by dozens of co-workers and clients on a regular basis. I also travel quite abit, both domestic and abroad (I am NOT referring to what I see abroad. If you're worried about black pants - avoid much of Europe.)

And still, with this large circle, daily experience, and 25 years of being an adult - I do not know anyone (besides me - now) who could tell me where the nearest Brooks Brothers is.

This a lengthy piece just to ask: Who cares about these things? Where is this information relevant? While I do not debate a well-dressed human being can be marginally more attractive - where are these people who judge you by THAT instead of what you say and do while wearing such an outfit? Is it primarily geographical? (Maybe only the "ends" - us folks in the middle don't get style...) Is it just income? Is it profession? It's obviously part upbringing...

Consider your response - and estimate what percentage of adults will notice such things!

Don't get me wrong - I really, really like my new wardrobe, assembled with some advice from many of you and forums like this one. The clothes are comfortable, they're quality items, they fit perfectly, and I feel like I Look Good, which makes me feel good.

However... I doubt anyone else notices much - which is the point of this post. Who DOES notice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics