• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falling out of love with Brooks Brothers Black Fleece

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Help, advice, suggestions needed ...

A while back I totally fell for the Thom Browne / BBBF look. I never tried to pull off the extreme part of the look -- like the pants cuffed at my ankles -- but I thought the slim lapels and short jackets looked great. Somehow classic and cool. I also appreciated that you could find real bargains online during the Brooks sales periods. (I never paid more than $600 for a BBBF suit.)

Fast forward to 2011.

I realize that I am a couple years late to the party, but I'm ready to dump my three BBBF suits and the few ties and other items remaining in my closet. I'd like to find some new suits and sportcoats that are more traditional but are still slim and perhaps cut a bit short. And, of course, I want to pay as little as I can :)

Thoughts? Thanks, AHS.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That TB / BBBF look is quite hit and miss, few can pull it off. I dont think I have ever seen anyone look good in it.

Before you go crazy and start junking your clothes, why not post in the WAYWRYN thread some of your outfits / fits and see what people say. It would make it much easier for people to comment with a photo and thus be able to recommend suits.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^The jacket is one of the best items from the BF collection. Very well made.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Now that Kurt's boyfriend on "Glee" is seen almost exclusively in Black Fleece/Thom Browne, I expect to see more of it turning up for sale around these parts.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never cared for the suits or most of the sweaters, sport coats, or jackets (but that one in the picture above is outstanding) but a lot of that may have to do with the way the line has been presented in magazines or online. Most of the items just seem too impractical or a gross affectation.

I do however have a couple of the neckties and plain dress shirts and really like them. Of course, those staple type items are much more difficult to screw up.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guite like their "dress" shirts, although I only wear them as casual shirts as the materials are guite casual and the neck size (BB4) is a 16.5 and I'm a BB 17. I also have a Polo that I quite like.

I also own a couple of their ties which are quite nice and a pair of the white pebble grain Pantofola 'dOro sneakers which are great for sloping around and have great basic colors. I actually wore them as my airport shoes on my current business trip:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=WHITE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

I have not been successful with their sweaters or jackets though.

Last edited:

Von Franz

Reaction score
I think there were only a few looks from the Browne/Brethren collaboration that were viable in the "real world."
Look at Thom- his entire aesthetic as an up-and-comer was based around a uniform.
It was shrunken, but that was what made it fresh at the time.
The grey suit, black shoes, white shirt, plain tie, etc came off at first as both youthful and austere.
It worked for him as a personal look, and he marketed it well, but as he became more successful as a designer he was encouraged to expand his line, as is generally the case.
My own personal theory is that as he has an "all-or-nothing" outlook as far as design is concerned, and when he had to work with something beyond stark greys and whites he panicked and threw all sorts of ridiculous flourishes onto his items in the hopes of appearing diversely gifted.
The first Black Fleece collection, for example, was relatively simple, but having gotten the basic, dark, cropped suit out of the way seems to have exhausted Browne's creative ability.
Subsequent collections have devolved into avant-garde shitshows reminiscent of the board-throwing tantrums a small child might have after losing a game of checkers.
I do like about a third of their shirts and shoes, though. As long as the collar points are of an adequate length and the shoe styles stay pebble-grained and restrained, Black Fleece will be worthy of consideration in those departments.
I haven't looked at their womens' collection much, either, but that seems like it has more staying power. Women will tend to have an easier time wearing cropped and shrunken menswear styles than will most men.

-VF

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen,
Help, advice, suggestions needed ...
A while back I totally fell for the Thom Browne / BBBF look. I never tried to pull off the extreme part of the look -- like the pants cuffed at my ankles -- but I thought the slim lapels and short jackets looked great. Somehow classic and cool. I also appreciated that you could find real bargains online during the Brooks sales periods. (I never paid more than $600 for a BBBF suit.)
Fast forward to 2011.
I realize that I am a couple years late to the party, but I'm ready to dump my three BBBF suits and the few ties and other items remaining in my closet. I'd like to find some new suits and sportcoats that are more traditional but are still slim and perhaps cut a bit short. And, of course, I want to pay as little as I can :)
Thoughts? Thanks, AHS.

Well you just missed out on a pretty decent RL sale, and there is another thread detailing a certain store with some RLPL and RLBLs on sale.... if those are a 36 or 38R then I can throw those away for you [onto my shoulders and over my legs].

I say if you want quality and close to traditional check out Norman Hilton's new coats they are pretty decent, but a bit pricey.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads