• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake Versace Jean Couture jeans - why?

blueSF

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of jeans from dolcefugo.com, which I received today, and which are clearly fakes. Least I strongly believe so. I could use some input as to why they are fake, to help support my challenging the charge to my Visa credit card.

I was duped and am embarrassed at my stupidity, but the site looked on the up and up and it advertises in quite a few places. Still, I'm not enough into designer clothes to know what to look for exactly in labeling, stitching, style etc. to argue as sound a case against dolcefugo.com as I might with some help from someone at this forum.

I posted pics at gallery.me.com/blue#10028 of the jeans in question and for which I paid 240.05US. Everything from the stitching to the tarnished name plate on the front pocket screams FAKE but I'm wondering if someone might point me to a location online where I might find more precise information regarding how to tell a fake from authentic Versaces.

I look forward to any reactions or suggestions you might have - thank you.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't tell if an item is a fake or not, you have no business buying that item.

It's like a wealthy suburban 12-year-old whose parents buy him a $2000 Stratocaster before he starts taking guitar lessons.

Or, more pertinently, a wealthy suburban 12-year-old who buys designer jeans to feel rich, rather than for any notable property of the jeans themselves.

blueSF

Reaction score
Well, four responses within a couple of hours. That would be a sweet surprise had any of the four responses been anything but catty, dull and unhelpful.

I'm reminded of the time my mother walked into a music store and asked the clerk for his suggestions for some classical musical she could play in the background while she worked. The clerk, such a stupid, old, go-nowhere snob replied: Classical music is not elevator music, it's meant to be savored, it's meant to challenge the intellect.

His answer made my mother feel very small. She only wanted what, after all, so many people in the royal and ducal courts across Europe wanted - and got - through the many centuries of the classical era: nice background music to relax by, or have to accompany their dinner, or their tete-a-tetes and their menage-a-trois.

Had the idiot clerk not been so full of his tired go-nowhereness and given some real thought to my mother's questions he could have offered a multitude of suggestions, from serenades to Tafelmusik to interludes and so many chamber pieces that were written, by great and small composer alike, specifically as background filler for the amusement of the people at that time who could afford the time and expense to sit around be amused.

Clearly, the clerk came from a long line of peasants who had to fork over some of their few and dearly earned copper coins in order to hear a snatch of the music to which poverty insured their lack of ongoing access but which their social superiors took so easily for granted.

So, instead of being an ignorant boor had the clerk offered his help instead of his ill-formed opinions he would have 1) made someone, my mother in this case, very happy 2) retained a happy customer for the store and 3) enlarged by one the audience with which to share his passion. He chose, rather, to make himself feel big by making another feel small, like the four shallow, callously stupid people who have thus far written, (and thus far, one thinks, poorly represented this site) and who have only confirmed the common opinion that those with sartorial flair are no less superficial or important than the fripperies they do so go on and on about.

Thanks so much for your aid.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueSF
Well, four responses within a couple of hours. That would be a sweet surprise had any of the four responses been anything but catty, dull and unhelpful. I'm reminded of the time my mother walked into a music store and asked the clerk for his suggestions for some classical musical she could play in the background while she worked. The clerk, such a stupid, old, go-nowhere snob replied: Classical music is not elevator music, it's meant to be savored, it's meant to challenge the intellect. His answer made my mother feel very small. She only wanted what, after all, so many people in the royal and ducal courts across Europe wanted - and got - through the many centuries of the classical era: nice background music to relax by, or have to accompany their dinner, or their tete-a-tetes and their menage-a-trois. Had the idiot clerk not been so full of his tired go-nowhereness and given some real thought to my mother's questions he could have offered a multitude of suggestions, from serenades to Tafelmusik to interludes and so many chamber pieces that were written, by great and small composer alike, specifically as background filler for the amusement of the people at that time who could afford the time and expense to sit around be amused. Clearly, the clerk came from a long line of peasants who had to fork over some of their few and dearly earned copper coins in order to hear a snatch of the music to which poverty insured their lack of ongoing access but which their social superiors took so easily for granted. So, instead of being an ignorant boor had the clerk offered his help instead of his ill-formed opinions he would have 1) made someone, my mother in this case, very happy 2) retained a happy customer for the store and 3) enlarged by one the audience with which to share his passion. He chose, rather, to make himself feel big by making another feel small, like the four shallow, callously stupid people who have thus far written, (and thus far, one thinks, poorly represented this site) and who have only confirmed the common opinion that those with sartorial flair are no less superficial or important than the fripperies they do so go on and on about. Thanks so much for your aid.
Despite your windy anecdote, I'd like to point out that those four did answer part of your question. The jeans are most certainly fake. The second lesson one could glean from their replies is pretty straightforward, but you missed it in your desire to reaffirm your stereotypes that people with an interest in their appearance are hypocritical and superficial. But here it is: as with any transaction where you are buying goods you have not seen — and have not personally handled — you should do some research on the vendor before you commit. In this case the research was extraordinarily easy to accomplish — all you had to do was google the name of the website. In future, you could try purchasing from forum affiliates who are frequently discussed here, and who often provide responses to any questions you may have. Or least google the name of the vendor, especially when you are buying expensive things that are frequently duplicated and sold at "unbelievable" prices.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your story about the stupidity of your mother and her uneducated nature really helps explain you and your mistake.

jabreal00

Reaction score
They are most certainly fake. People will go to great lengths to get designers wears on the cheap. Many times they don't realize that it's fake. $240 for jeans on a website, sight unseen is pretty out there. $240 will get some decent jeans at Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, or Saks.

modagg

Reaction score
Well, four responses within a couple of hours. That would be a sweet surprise had any of the four responses been anything but catty, dull and unhelpful. I'm reminded of the time my mother walked into a music store and asked the clerk for his suggestions for some classical musical she could play in the background while she worked. The clerk, such a stupid, old, go-nowhere snob replied: Classical music is not elevator music, it's meant to be savored, it's meant to challenge the intellect. His answer made my mother feel very small. She only wanted what, after all, so many people in the royal and ducal courts across Europe wanted - and got - through the many centuries of the classical era: nice background music to relax by, or have to accompany their dinner, or their tete-a-tetes and their menage-a-trois. Had the idiot clerk not been so full of his tired go-nowhereness and given some real thought to my mother's questions he could have offered a multitude of suggestions, from serenades to Tafelmusik to interludes and so many chamber pieces that were written, by great and small composer alike, specifically as background filler for the amusement of the people at that time who could afford the time and expense to sit around be amused. Clearly, the clerk came from a long line of peasants who had to fork over some of their few and dearly earned copper coins in order to hear a snatch of the music to which poverty insured their lack of ongoing access but which their social superiors took so easily for granted. So, instead of being an ignorant boor had the clerk offered his help instead of his ill-formed opinions he would have 1) made someone, my mother in this case, very happy 2) retained a happy customer for the store and 3) enlarged by one the audience with which to share his passion. He chose, rather, to make himself feel big by making another feel small, like the four shallow, callously stupid people who have thus far written, (and thus far, one thinks, poorly represented this site) and who have only confirmed the common opinion that those with sartorial flair are no less superficial or important than the fripperies they do so go on and on about. Thanks so much for your aid.
Apples & oranges That sale person's job was to sale things and by being a douche he failed at his job. Its nobody on this forums job to help you with the fake jeans you just purchased, you were the big boy with the credit card.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wait a second... your mother wanted music for her threesomes? lol@you thinking your $240 peasant-status Versace diffusion jeans make you super rich and above everyone

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are a Eurotrash brandwhore. Die please. Kthxttyl.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You are a Eurotrash brandwhore. Die please. Kthxttyl.

+1 luls at ur anecdote i would be offended at someone asking for classical music with the implication that its great background music

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
+1 luls at ur anecdote i would be offended at someone asking for classical music with the implication that its great background music
Really? We have a significant amount of scientific evidence which notes that classical music - when consumed in a passive manner (e.g. as "background" music) - heightens the individual ability to focus on mundane tasks. There are many uses and approaches to art. Those who consider themselves students of particular artistic genre tend, often unfortunately, to believe that a singular sort of engagement is the only acceptable venue for consumption. However, art, by definition, incorporates individual perceptions for the purposes of generating meaning. Simply put, it is absurdly hypocritical to pretend that one individual can dictate how and why others should appreciate art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads