Eyeglasses......

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greg, Apr 21, 2004.

1. greg

greg Active Member

I have a round face and know that I should get a frame that is geometric (rectangular-ish) in shape. My question is, should the top half of the frame completely cover my brows? Or can my eyebrows be literally above the frame? I find that to achieve the former, the frames should be bigger...unfortunately, this style does is not flattering at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm a glasses freak - love them. And I have a roundish face too. Yes, retangular frames will be best for your face, but you'll have to try on a lot of individual frames to find the best one (or ones) for you. Where are you located. Maybe I could recommend a good optometrist. In L.A., you should definitely check out L.A. Eyeworks on Melrose - great selection. Remember to choose color(s) complimentary to your eye and hair color and skin tones as well.

3. greg

greg Active Member

Thank you LAGuy. I am in NYC....work midtown and live in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

I have premature gray hair which on most days I love so I know a black frame would suit me best.

What about my question about the amount of brow showing above the glasses? Doesn't matter you think?

Thanks.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It really depends on the specific style. In general, I think that the frame probably shouldn't cover the whole brow - unless you are going for huge 80's style zyl frames.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The vast majority of glasses I see these days are sufficiently small that the entire eyebrow is above the frame.  Perhaps it is just a swing of the fashion pendulum in one direction that will swing the other way in a few years (kind of the opposite of the "big watch" trend).  Small glasses do have the added benefit of allowing a thinner lens -- a significant plus if your prescription is as strong as mine.

A dark blue frame is also quite nice -- I recently purchased a pair of Silhouettes in that color.