• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exhausted from Lifting Weights

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why has nobody identified this as overtraining? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

Take a week off, see how you feel.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Why has nobody identified this as overtraining? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

Because that term is used very loosely on bb/fitness boards. Most non-competing lifters will not have the sheer motivation to truly overtrain themselves to the ground.

cazzzidy

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that at least some of you have experience. When I used to do P90X and run, those work outs definitely increased my energy in daily life. This program is very different.

I was feeling particularly bad yesterday afternoon, after having a relatively light breakfast and lunch (normal for most people). I gorged on a double cheesburger then eggs and bacon, then a quart of milk over several hours, and I felt great by the evening. I really think I need to stay over 3500 calories per day to survive this, which is hard to do without eating junk.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cazzzidy
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that at least some of you have experience. When I used to do P90X and run, those work outs definitely increased my energy in daily life. This program is very different.

I was feeling particularly bad yesterday afternoon, after having a relatively light breakfast and lunch (normal for most people). I gorged on a double cheesburger then eggs and bacon, then a quart of milk over several hours, and I felt great by the evening. I really think I need to stay over 3500 calories per day to survive this, which is hard to do without eating junk.

The trick is to eat more often, not more at each meal. If you only eat 3 times during the day, then yes this can be difficult, but if you eat several small meals/snack a lot it's not as difficult. I've found that PB&Js work great as an in between meal snack. 2 PB&Js can add a good thousand calories to your daily total.

Monaco

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just got back on the Starting Strength weight training program after taking a couple months off. For those not in the know, it's a strength program built around squats, presses and deadlifts/cleans, three days per week. I'm eating a lot more and a lot cleaner than usual and gaining about 1 to 2 lbs per week. Still in my linear progression and I'm feeling confident in the gym. I'm getting plenty of sleep.

However, just as before, I have considerably less energy than when I'm not working out. Apart from the soreness, I have a laziness that is unusal for me. An urge to lay down and watch TV. Lack of drive.

Does this happen to any of you guys when you workout really hard? Is this the beginning of overtraining? Am I simply not eating enough? Or is this, as I suspect, normal and how one should feel after squatting and yanking hundreds of pounds several times per week? It makes this type of rigorous program unsustainable (for me at least.)

It is already very obvious that your body is trying to alert you that it is over stressed so trying to do anything else just seems like way too much work. Your body is trying to get rest at any given chance so why not just listen? If you're going to insist on continuing to work out, you had better rest more and eat more whole foods (I recommend whole starches like potatoes, corn, carrots, etc...).

If you're taking protein shakes, I would skip the liquid calories and just go after whole food calories.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty

Take a week off, see how you feel.

it does sound like it but iirc starting strength is only 3 days a week. unlikely he is overtraining on this program.

it does however involve alot of squats so he is likely to be tired.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gorged on a double cheesburger then eggs and bacon, then a quart of milk over several hours, and I felt great by the evening. I really think I need to stay over 3500 calories per day to survive this, which is hard to do without eating junk.

fat is your friend. assuming you are getting enough protein just douse everything in olive oil, eat some butter, drink fish oil, eat some grassfed beef etc.

chicken salad with whole egg mayonaise is also a favourite.

just make sure they are good fats.

miracle max

Reaction score
Sleep and protein are you friends.

Try to mix different proteins like fish/red meat/chicken etc. Dont rely on just protein shakes.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndyMcL
The trick is to eat more often, not more at each meal. If you only eat 3 times during the day, then yes this can be difficult, but if you eat several small meals/snack a lot it's not as difficult. I've found that PB&Js work great as an in between meal snack. 2 PB&Js can add a good thousand calories to your daily total.

Agreed.
3500+ cals on three squares per day can be, well I don't want to say hard, but less enjoyable than more frequent smaller meals. If you're really pushing it in the weight room, adding weight to the bar every session, then your body definitely needs the calories - I'd advocate with going by what makes you feel good. Try upping the cals to the aforementioned 3500 and see how you feel, just keep checking and adjusting.

If you want to go all broscienc-y, you could shuffle most of your high-GI carbs around your workouts, but I digress. As mentioned, fat is your friend, sat fat keeps you healthy and in proper lifting condition.... grass-fed beef, butter, eggs... need I say more? (that almost makes me want to go on a bulk again)
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads