• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You were probably eating at sub-par Panda Express-like Chinese restaurants.

Uhh, no. Why the **** would I ever go to panda express. Did you even read my post?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
No, I said that among the mexican food I've eaten, some of it has been 'impoverished'... I've also had 5 star resort food, street food (what the **** do you think that is? The ritz? That's peasant food dude), and many hole in the wall places. No, I am not counting italian as ethnic. As I said before, I am saying anything that isn't american or euro centric.
actually, when eating on the street, you'll be surrounded by all walks of life. the street food can be excellent and is not only for peasants. so you haven't been to a good restaurant where actual mexicans eat. have you been to a large mexican city or do you only visit the beaches? in any case, if you are going to compare peasant foods, in a thread for white americans discussing "ethnic" food, you should compare the peasant food of mexico with the peasant food of america. that's only fair. i would much rather eat a cocido with fresh beef ribs, fresh vegetables, and fresh lime juice from a lime picked in the backyard, than eat a frozen tv dinner with frozen tater tots or instant mashed potatoes from a box. let's compare apples to apples.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
actually, when eating on the street, you'll be surrounded by all walks of life. the street food can be excellent and is not only for peasants. so you haven't been to a good restaurant where actual mexicans eat. have you been to a large mexican city or do you only visit the beaches?

in any case, it think if you are going to compare peasant foods, in a thread for white americans discussing "ethnic" food, you should compare the peasant food of mexico with the peasant food of america. that's only fair. i would much rather eat a cocido with fresh beef ribs, fresh vegetables, and fresh lime juice from a lime picked in the backyard, than eat a frozen tv dinner with frozen tater tots or instant mashed potatoes from a box. let's compare apples to apples.

None of this matters to me. My personal pride isn't wound up with the food that fat white people in sweat pants eat. That isn't where I'm from, nor do I care about it. I understand that you're hurt that I'm attacking mexican food. No I have not taken a bayless type survey of south american food. I have been to mexico more than the average gringo and yes I've eaten at every level of what the country has to offer. It stands to reason that I haven't eaten the right stuff yet, but keep in mind that I'm comparing the food of Mexico to that of France, Italy, Greece, Japan and India, so of course I won't be jumping for joy with Mexican food. Like I said, if someone can give me any recommendations I'd be thrilled to eat it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
American peasant food isn't a tv dinner. Jesus, come on. For a guy who tries to fight a stereotype in seemingly every post he makes, you're doing a pretty good job at being judgemental.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
American peasant food isn't a tv dinner. Jesus, come on. For a guy who tries to fight a stereotype in seemingly every post he makes, you're doing a pretty good job at being judgemental.

sorry but that's what i thought of. when i went to a town in texas everything was fried fast food, the only supermarket was walmart, and they didn't have any vegetables.

here in l.a., it seems all the poor people are eating 99 cent chicken sandwiches.

tell me what peasant american food is to you.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
American peasant food: Grits, chitlins, black eyed peas, and most of the food from the South.

Isn't this ethnic food hate just a sign that you have yet to experience all that the cuisine has to offer?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like Chinese food. Then again, i've never been to china.

But, was this thread about whether we've been unable to find anything we like in a particular country, or about whether we don't like particular ethnic food we've tried?

Anyway, Chinese food that is available in the NY/NJ area sucks.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

Isn't this ethnic food hate just a sign that you have yet to experience all that the cuisine has to offer?

Yes that's exactly what it means.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
None of this matters to me. My personal pride isn't wound up with the food that fat white people in sweat pants eat. That isn't where I'm from, nor do I care about it. I understand that you're hurt that I'm attacking mexican food. No I have not taken a bayless type survey of south american food. I have been to mexico more than the average gringo and yes I've eaten at every level of what the country has to offer. It stands to reason that I haven't eaten the right stuff yet, but keep in mind that I'm comparing the food of Mexico to that of France, Italy, Greece, Japan and India, so of course I won't be jumping for joy with Mexican food. Like I said, if someone can give me any recommendations I'd be thrilled to eat it.

it just seems disingenuous to say you like or don't like a cuisine with so much variety, especially the way you describe it. i never tell people i like mexican food, because there are about a million dishes i don't like and about a million i do.

of the countries you list, i've only been to france. there was some good stuff and some bad stuff, especially on the street, but i'll only remark about the things i tried, not the cuisine as a whole. that would be silly.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
tell me what peasant american food is to you.
Barbeque, oxtail, chitlins, cornbread, collard greens, pretty much anything cajun/creole, so gumbos, po' boys, etc.

Just like going to somewhere and eating non-authentic tacos doesn't make you an expert on Mexican cuisine, eating ****** fried fast food served in America doesn't represent all that is American peasant food.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
American peasant food: Grits, chitlins, black eyed peas, and most of the food from the South.

i don't think peasants in california eat those things. especially if they are not black.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Barbeque, oxtail, chitlins, cornbread, collard greens, pretty much anything cajun/creole, so gumbos, po' boys, etc.

Just like going to somewhere and eating non-authentic tacos doesn't make you an expert on Mexican cuisine, eating ****** fried fast food served in America doesn't represent all that is American peasant food.

but peasants in mexico don't eat non-authentic tacos. poor people in america do eat a lot of fast food. (by peasants i mean poor people.) i'm not talking about some southern americana concept. if you're flat broke in seattle you aren't buying chitlins and collard greens.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
but peasants in mexico don't eat non-authentic tacos. poor people in america do eat a lot of fast food. (by peasants i mean poor people.) i'm not talking about some southern americana concept. if you're flat broke in seattle you aren't buying chitlins and collard greens.

No, but Tokyo Slim is flat broke in Seattle (his words, not mine) and he basically makes barbecue.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bravery-chicken-bucket-demotivational-posters.jpg

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Russian food really sucks too and I've actually been to Russia. Now, granted, I didn't eat in every single restaurant in Russia, but I ate at enough places to say that the food sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads