1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Enough with the lifestyle photos

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by holymadness, Oct 5, 2010.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

I didn't know that you were Jewish.
    Or an alumnus of City College.

The furniture was at the apartment in New York. The year was 1959. Even the Christmas tree was metal! It was as if a Cadillac and an Olds Rocket 88 of the same year (59) had somehow managed to wreck and end up on the 22nd floor.

By 61 ... all that furniture was in storage ... and the Georgian stuff -- that only two years before "just had to go" -- was back.

If Robert & Ethel (and I don't mean Kennedy) had been better friends ... I'd have one hellovan art collection.

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

2, 4 and 5 are real. am i right?
    The first is really the steering wheel of my Dodge Prizm.
    Conspicuous consumtion is only vulgar if the plebs can pick up the signal, as long as only the right people catch on you're just peachy. You've also underlined the utmost importance of tying your stealth-wealth purchases to experiential narratives as a way of letting the prestige of the non-material and even transcendental (another name for-what I did in Tibet) purify the unclean act of acquiring stuff.
    Needs moar Barthes poring through fashion catalogs.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

^^^ As I recall, I found the storage ... and used the stuff while I was in architecture school. It was quite popular in the late 60s and early 70s.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

You're a mod. Can't you bring back teh dood who drank his own pee? Then, it will be like before.
    oh he's not that hard to find [​IMG]

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

oh he's not that hard to find [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I assume that the gravel gives it away. - B

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

if we submit lifestyle photos taken with crappy cellphone cameras, reflected on dirty mirrors would it make it better?

7. robin

robin Senior member

if we submit lifestyle photos taken with crappy cellphone cameras, reflected on dirty mirrors would it make it better?
    [​IMG]

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I agree,
    but we should certainly keep lifestyle gifs
    [​IMG]

I have to admit that I have done something similar in a Bombay dance bar. Of course it was with 10 INR notes which you can sold at the entrance in wads of 50.

9. Sander

Sander Senior member

I have to admit that I have done something similar in a Bombay dance bar. Of course it was with 10 INR notes which you can sold at the entrance in wads of 50.

I have to admit that I think this would be fun.

10. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ It loads of fun. The whole evening at the dance bar cost around 30 USD including 2 beers.

11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I honestly don't understand the purpose of this picture other than ego stroking. The accompanying description reinforces this theory. [​IMG] "- wedding band in 18k WG with D flawless diamonds" Okay.

12. voxsartoria

[​IMG]

Some photographs are crappier than others. Nice assist from the gentleman in the stall.

- B

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I honestly don't understand the purpose of this picture other than ego stroking. The accompanying description reinforces this theory.

[​IMG]

"- wedding band in 18k WG with D flawless diamonds"

Okay.

Tie looks familiar.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

I honestly don't understand the purpose of this picture other than ego stroking. The accompanying description reinforces this theory.
    [​IMG]

"- wedding band in 18k WG with D flawless diamonds"

Hell, I can't even see the tiny little diamonds!

And hopefully that band belongs to his wife. A man shouldn't be wearing diamonds set in a ring.

I always love the remark made by Walter Hoving when a man demanded a diamond ring at Tiffany ... "What you buy is your business, what we sell is ours."

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Tie looks familiar.

Was it on B&S recently?

16. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

Tie looks familiar.

[​IMG]

17. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I miss the term prol.

It's a great way to be racist/classist, without being racist. Urban/city prole, country prole. And it can go both ways, bourgeoise can be equally disparaging. They're the assholes with money but no taste or class. The words are too ridiculous to be taken seriously, so nobody will be offended.

18. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

A few threads down is "At what age did you/do you project you will become a millionaire?"

Oh, the irony.

19. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Hell, I can't even see the tiny little diamonds!

But..... but.... they are D flawless!!!!!!![​IMG]

20. voxsartoria