1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Montpellier?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by grimslade, May 30, 2006.

1. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I saw a pair of these on eBay (auction now ended). Going for $450. I've never heard of the model. Does anyone know anything about the Montpellier loafer? Is it current, what grade, etc.?

TIA...

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

"˜Montpellier' has been in the EG catalogue for many years and still is. (You find it twice in the current catalogue, in calf and in crocodile). It might not be the most popular loafer style at present, so you've never come across it.

This particular pair, featured in the auction, is not of the most recent production. EG uses a continuing production number: the number 30k places this pair into the late 90s, early 2000.

But the model as well as the last is still of current design (and the shoes featured are obviously unworn).

3. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

‘Montpellier’ has been in the EG catalogue for many years and still is. (You find it twice in the current catalogue, in calf and in crocodile). It might not be the most popular loafer style at present, so you’ve never come across it.

This particular pair, featured in the auction, is not of the most recent production. EG uses a continuing production number: the number 30k places this pair into the late 90s, early 2000.

But the model as well as the last is still of current design (and the shoes featured are obviously unworn).

By the way, I saw a pair of Montpellier at Old England in Paris on a chiseled last and in burnt pine and it was really gorgeous ...

B-s, speaking about these production numbers, how many pairs a year does EG approximately manufacture ?

4. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pair in chestnut on the same last which I order last year. The toe is actually a bit keener than it appears in the photograph. It's a very handsome shoe.

5. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Question for Bengal Stripe regarding EG production numbers. I have several pair, all from approximately the same period, numbered in the 11 to 13000 range, and yet another pair of the same vintage numbered 90328 - in the same hand - with the embossed script stamping on the heel cover. Any clue as to the 90s number?
    Thanks.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Thanks, guys. I'm quite smitten with this shoe. I don't have an EG catalog, however. Does anyone have any idea what they would retail at if new?

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, guys. I'm quite smitten with this shoe. I don't have an EG catalog, however. Does anyone have any idea what they would retail at if new?

Depending on the source, $850-$950. About half that if they have them in June sale.

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've got a pair on the 184 last in two-tone calfskin, with pebbled burnt pine covering all but the strap (the strap being smooth dark oak). Honestly, I don't wear them much as I should - it may be the 184 last, but I prefer a longer vamp than the shoe has. Other EG loafers, such as the RLPL Longacre on the 100 last, have a much longer vamp. With the shorter vamp, I also think of them as warm weather shoes, so they get put away each fall for the season. FWIW, I got mine on Ebay, used very slightly, for about $150. I think you'll find that EG loafers on EBay have a hard time selling for the prices the lace-ups demand. Brand new EG loafers seem to sell in the $200-400 range, depending on the loafer model/color/last, whereas new laceups sell more in the $350-550 range. Black shoes always selling for less than brown.

As for "grades" mentioned in your question, EG had a Top Shelf grade for a few years, but they no longer do (stopped in late 90s I think).

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Thanks, Kabert. This guy has listed those Montpelliers twice for $480, then $450, and received no bids, so I suspect you're right about their saleability. We'll see if he reposts. I'll take a look at the longacres, but I very much like the proportions on the Montpelliers. I like the RLPL Barksdales too. Maybe I'm a short-vamp kinda guy...

10. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

What's the 184 like? The shoe looks a bit wide to me. I wear a C width in Grenson masterpieces, but can sometimes get away with a D. I wonder if I could wear a D on the 184 last...

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

FWIW, I was in saks today in a vain attempt to try on something, anything, in the 184 last. They had two loafers, but neither in anything close to my size. So I can't tell you first-hand how the last fits, but the sales guy said that it was a narrow-fitting last. As I said, FWTW.

12. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

Thanks for the input