• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating well in college

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
CostCo = your friend.

Dried goods like rice and beans in bulk.

Frozen stuff like chicken breasts, veggies, lean meats, etc. They also have some decent pre-cooked stuff you can heat and serve.

Also, spend the $99 and get a chest freezer at CostCo. Well worth it and great for chilling wine fast too.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
College is the time to gorge, eating, for instance, a whole large pepperoni pizza while dowing 3 cold beer. A whole bucket of KFC to be washed down by another round of cold beer.

Better take advantage of the body's ability to tolerate such tasty crap before you become older and unable to metabolize all that fat.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
College is the time to gorge, eating, for instance, a whole large pepperoni pizza while dowing 3 cold beer. A whole bucket of KFC to be washed down by another round of cold beer.

Better take advantage of the body's ability to tolerate such tasty crap before you become older and unable to metabolize all that fat.

Yeah, but then it becomes a habit. I have a lot of fat friends who know they shouldn't eat like they did in college, but they still do.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I will be taking advantage of the top notch athletic facilities at my university. You will see a new Conne in the months to come.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

How many times have we heard this, on a whole number of levels?

Pink cashmere tie.

lol8[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I predict he quits the diet before he starts it.

bearlydavid

Reaction score
When I lived in campus, I ate pretty healthy just eating in the cafeteria.

There was always rotisseree chicken lunch and dinner everyday... Soo yeah...

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scfdefinit
Eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, chicken breast, salads, cheap steak, fish, fruits, turkey, tuna, whole wheat grains, nuts. All general go-to relatively cheap healthy foods. Costco helps.

The George Foreman idea is interesting.

I was going to post almost this exact same list. So... +1

Tcameron

Reaction score
Pretty much a goal that's tough. I never tried to eat well in college - but lost weight because I didn't eat throughout the day like I did at home. It also depends where you go to school, your meal plan, etc. I would say start smoking, and eat less to become thinner to fit into all of the BoO stuff.

Seriously, just generally eat healthy and cut out HFCS and drunken meals late at night.

Histrion

Reaction score
I'm at University too and I am fairly busy with classes and extracurricular which makes it hard for me to spend much time in the kitchen. There are tricks, however:

1) Make a big batch of something and freeze it. Good examples would be chili, lasagna or beef curry, for instance. You can make this on the week-end and you'll have 4-6 meals easily. Same thing applies to pasta sauce (I always have some spaghetti and all'arrabiata sauce in handy).

2) Pasta with above mentionned sauces or pesto (I love red pesto). Gnocchis are made VERY fast; you can serve it with just better and a good parmesan.

3) Chicken with wild rice and some veggies.

4) Salmon can be made quickly. I do this thing where I put the filet skin side on the pan with a bit of olive oil. Then I turn on the heat to high. When the olive oil is "boiling", I wait a bit and then put the heat to medium and wait until its cooked to 2/3, then I flip it on the other side, take the pan out of the heat and let it cook naturally. Then you dice half a tomato, add some olive oil and basilic and you have a nice salsa. Serve it with wild rice and veggies (red peppers, mushrooms, bok choy). Its very quick, the only thing that's "long" is to make the rice.

5) Bringing back stuff from home. Hah... How useful that is!

Jupiter Room

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
4) Salmon can be made quickly. I do this thing where I put the filet skin side on the pan with a bit of olive oil. Then I turn on the heat to high.

Sounds like it will be very oily. Why not wait until the oil is hot before yo put the salmon in? And trout is as easy to cook and tastier. Try some trout, OP!

Curry paste can be left in the fridge for at least a week. Can be used to make loads of good food fast. I especially like curry cod. Lentil soups can be frozen and still taste good. Just cook in lager quantities when you have time and freeze it.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jupiter Room
Sounds like it will be very oily. Why not wait until the oil is hot before yo put the salmon in? And trout is as easy to cook and tastier. Try some trout, OP!

It is not too oily; I don't put a lot of oil to begin with and it cooking on the skin side of the most part. I also turn the heat afterwards because its the best way to have the salmon cook the way I like too with a very crispy skin. This cooking 'trick' is from a well-known MontrÃ
00a9.png
al chef and I've been implementing it to my fish cooking.

I do like trout, however I like salmon just as much. I love wild sockeye salmon and as well as wild atlantic salmon. These two are easy to get for me where I am whereas wild trout is unavailable. Rainbow trout is my favourite trout, though.

pruppert

Reaction score
I guess I would question fish as an economic option, but it's nice as a treat every once and a while.

As far as farmers markets, I think it depends on where you live. Even though my school is in central California, the area is populated by retirees and students, so prices end up being less economical than groceries.

I'd second legumes as a great cheap alternative. Same with rice and pasta. Oatmeal too.

Meals always seem to come at odd times, so have leftovers, or something quick+healthy around to eat when you end up missing a meal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads