• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dylan on American Idol?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree with cowell. i like dylan as a good poet, but he should stick to poetry. his singing is awful and his music is rather mediocre.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
his singing is awful and his music is rather mediocre.

that's kind of the point.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
that's kind of the point.
rolleyes.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
then why am i not famous?

Probably because what you have to say isn't very interesting.

You see, Bob Dylan was huge for music for a whole lot of different reasons. I'm not going to go into it, but his sound is very much part of his message. It is terrible if you listen mechanically, but he has a diction and purpose in his delivery which I think has made him quite effective. I used to say he sounded terrible but once you understand the context a bit better you start to get it. That being said, he isn't that important to me. I do, however, acknowledge what he did for 20th century music.

Brian SD

Reaction score
owned!.jpg

Bob Dylan is not American Idol material. He's a folk musician, not a coked-up airbrushed has-been pop star.

The production values of Dylan's music don't bother me, nor does his lack of singing standards. I can't believe I hear people make ridiculous statements about bands that got famous for covering his songs, like the Byrds or Jimi Hendrix, or Guns N' Roses (they covered Knockin' on Heaven's Door, didn't they?). The covers completely lack the Americana, vitriol, angst and agony in the originals. Proof that most people who listen to music have no interest in it past a fleeting rush of adrenaline.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
owned!.jpg

Bob Dylan is not American Idol material. He's a folk musician, not a coked-up airbrushed has-been pop star.

The production values of Dylan's music don't bother me, nor does his lack of singing standards. I can't believe I hear people make ridiculous statements about bands that got famous for covering his songs, like the Byrds or Jimi Hendrix, or Guns N' Roses (they covered Knockin' on Heaven's Door, didn't they?). The covers completely lack the Americana, vitriol, angst and agony in the originals. Proof that most people who listen to music have no interest in it past a fleeting rush of adrenaline.

Brian,

GNR was famous for their own material. See album sales of Appetite for Destruction. Also, their cover is quite vitriolic, and Dylan himself credited them for it. Just watch their cover of it at Freddie Mercury's tribute concert, or the performance at the Roxy. There's a lot of feeling behind their cover.

I agree with you that most people's knowledge and taste in music is absolutely abysmal.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Brian,

GNR was famous for their own material. See album sales of Appetite for Destruction. Also, their cover is quite vitriolic, and Dylan himself credited them for it. Just watch their cover of it at Freddie Mercury's tribute concert, or the performance at the Roxy. There's a lot of feeling behind their cover.

I agree with you that most people's knowledge and taste in music is absolutely abysmal.

I thought about that when I added them to the list. I know they didn't get famous because of that cover, but became one of their better-known songs.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briansd wrote: Bob Dylan is not American Idol material. He's a folk musician, not a coked-up airbrushed has-been pop star.

I pretty much agree with you and violinist. And, after taking voice lessons from an opera singer and understanding what a singer should sound like (at least for opera/classical), I realize that a LOT of pop singers do not sing properly. Yet, even my teacher said that she enjoyed Dylan simply for the raw quality and for his lyrics. Listen to his It Ain't me Babe and contrast it with the Turtles' cover. No comparison. Dylan captures the mood perfectly.

However, I disagree about at least two of the covers - Jimi and the Byrds. I like Hendrix's Watchtower as much as Dylan's. His cover of that song is the best cover of a Dylan song ever. He took it and gave it a different meaning and feel. He didn't try to make it feel like a Dylan song sung with a different voice. In short, Jimi's own genius shone. And, I love the Byrds' version of You Ain't Going Nowhere. I also love all of the Band's versions of Dylan's songs: Tears of Rage, This Wheel's on Fire...

I agree about GNR's Knockin'. Terrible. But, I also think it's among Dylan's worst. I also hate You got to Serve Somebody mainly because you don't. In general, his whole "Christian" period is a nadir for him. Self Portrait was a big disappointment. However, Nashville Skyline has a few good tunes. He came back with Blood and Desire.

As for vitriol, Dylan did indeed show it in many of his songs. One of the most vitriolic was Positively 4th Street. He also wrote some of the most beautiful poetic love songs. Such as, Love Minus Zero, No Limit. I used part of it in my wedding speech.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I also hate You got to Serve Somebody mainly because you don't.

That is the whole tenent of the Cristian philosophy, you either serve the Lord or, if you don't, by default you serve the Devil. I was enthused when Dylan got saved because I thought he would do some amazing things with Christian theology and his poetry, but I agree, the results were really disappointing.

I pretty much agree with everything else you wrote Bach, especially as to Jimi's version of "Watchtower."

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stu. Not to get too off topic, but you may know how I feel about geniuses like Jimi, Dylan, and Mozart. Their music will stand the test of time. Genius is like that. For example, you are probably a lot younger than me, yet you are familiar with Mozart, Watchtower, and Dylan's stuff. Yet, you probably don't remember trash like Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I Got Love In My Tummy. No genius. Quite moronic. Forgotten a year or so after it was current. I only remember it because it was so bad that it became a running joke and measure of comparison for crap with friends of mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads