• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dyeing pocket square edges

juvefan

Reaction score
I have a few white cotton handkerchiefs and was wondering if i can make them into more appealing jacket-chest-pocket accessorizers. I am thinking I can make the hand-rolled edges, but is it doable to find an assortment of dyes and make the edges a different colour?

how would one do that?

nelly

Reaction score
Click on the Kent Wang link at the top of the page. Save your current handkerchiefs.

tgt465

Reaction score
The edge colors are actually separate pieces of fabric, colored differently than the main piece. This thread explains how to make it: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=25542
The last post in that thread has a picture that is helpful, but to see it you might have to copy and paste the image link into a separate browser window, if it shows as a frog in ice.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a couple of those before. It's a pain **********. A separate piece of fabric has to be used, because you can't really dye fabric evenly.

YgbEG.jpg

u99A4.jpg

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juvefan
it was more about the process and achievement than anything
Juvefan, Well said! You can certainly make your own pocket squares with lots of patience. If you made model airplanes and ships as a boy you are off to a good start. When you have a moment please do a search as there have been some threads where I helped and commented on other people trying to make their own pocket squares. You should not sew different colored fabric on for the contrast edges that is a production shortcut that is not used in luxury pocket squares. Good luck!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Click on the Kent Wang link at the top of the page. Save your current handkerchiefs.

+1/

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy new ones: this suggestion is fraught with danger and will probably just ruin them - nothing more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics